Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox 360 - 3 Red Lights

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

I wouldn't get my hopes up. Got mine back Monday, two weeks to the day it was collected. Like you I had a (mid) 2006 unit and this was the second time mine was sent away. I was convinced it would be too much trouble to fix it and that I'd receive a new machine. Turns out I was wrong.

They replaced the motherboard and the DVD drive. Thing is, I can't get over how much quieter it is. The optical drive is significantly quieter, it was like a hoover before and the there's no comparison when it's idling - even when it was brand new. I'm convinced they're after putting a falcon or maybe Jasper into the original non hdmi case.

mine returned in about a week and it was originally a 2006 console without HDMI, i opened it up earlier and they sent me a shiney new console with HDMI and a free subscription to xbox live.,:)

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Brianb8802

Masada wrote: »
    mine returned in about a week and it was originally a 2006 console without HDMI, i opened it up earlier and they sent me a shiney new console with HDMI and a free subscription to xbox live.,:)

I like

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭flanders2006

Brianb8802 wrote: »
    Keep us posted looks like you could be onto something

UPS says its due to be delivered back on the 17th so will let you know what I get.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭flanders2006

Xbox arrived today. It's a new one but no HDMI. Not sure if it's quieter yet as I didn't get the chance to play it yet.

Got 1 months free gold membership too.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Xbox arrived today. It's a new one but no HDMI. Not sure if it's quieter yet as I didn't get the chance to play it yet.

Got 1 months free gold membership too.
    Sounds like a refurb since I dont think theres been 1 without HDMI in a couple years:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭dunie001

The only Xbox 360 that has a proper HDMI port is the Xbox 360 elite...all the others have a HD component cable that only have low HD screen sizes.

So obviously if you sent in a 60gb premium xbox 360...then you'd get a similar model back from them...they definitely wouldn't send you back a more expensive Elite...:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

dunie001 wrote: »
    The only Xbox 360 that has a proper HDMI port is the Xbox 360 elite...all the others have a HD component cable that only have low HD screen sizes.

So obviously if you sent in a 60gb premium xbox 360...then you'd get a similar model back from them...they definitely wouldn't send you back a more expensive Elite...:P:P

Wrong. My brother's 60gb has the hdmi port. It's on newer models.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360#Comparison_of_features

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Nope.Every model has had HDMI since 07 (and a hardware scaler so nothing is really 1080p :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Is it bad to connect your 360 into an extension lead?

Just asking this cos I got the red ring of death for a second time yesterday and when it comes back from repair I don't want it to happen again.
    Got crashes,lines and then the rrod.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

quinnd6 wrote: »
    Is it bad to connect your 360 into an extension lead?

Just asking this cos I got the red ring of death for a second time yesterday and when it comes back from repair I don't want it to happen again.
    Got crashes,lines and then the rrod.

It depends what else do you have connected to that lead. If it is tv, laptop, some small devices its ok, but If you're using it along with espresso machine, kettle you might experience problems.

• Advertisement

I did have a few things connected to it.
    oldish pc, printer , speakers, modem,tv and the 360.
    I actually have some double adaptors plugged into the extension lead.

I think I had the 360 connected to a double adaptor with something else into the extension lead.
    I have no idea if that could've caused something to go wrong.

The 360 was working ok up until yesterday though and then it screwed up.
    The first time I saw something go wrong was last june when I started seeing strange colors on the screen but I plugged it back in and was working fine after that.

And it continued on working ok till yesterday when it screwed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Only after gettin the RROD there now.!Im fcuking gutted.!I am gonna bring it back to the shop later on because I only got it at Christmas so will they replace it or will I have to send it to Microsoft.??:confused:

Try the shop first...it should be still under the 12 month warranty.

Does the RROD have anything to do with how long you play the xbox non-stop? or is it just something that goes wrong with it no matter what?

Sorry, I wasn't aware about the HDMI port on newer models...the component cable seems fine but anyone notice better quality with the HDMI???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Been waiting since the 3rd for something to happen. paid my 90 euros. UPS never arrived and the label never arrived. repair reissued. same deal. got escalated to manager on monday. promised that UPS would be out wednesday or thursday. Not checked today yet but assuming nothing has arrived.

pah :p I best get a free game..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

better off getting them to email the labels, then you can arrange UPS yourself. at least that way you can ring UPS directly and give out stink when they dont bother showing up.
    the labels arrived through email for me really quickly.,:)

Masada wrote: »
    better off getting them to email the labels, then you can arrange UPS yourself. at least that way you can ring UPS directly and give out stink when they dont bother showing up.
    the labels arrived through email for me really quickly.,:)

We tried that, no labels appeared :p

DHL are now dropping off a box for me..apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

last time i sent mine back i used the ups site to organise the pick up and they were at my house in under 30 mins

labels were always emailed to me very fast too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Podge2k7 wrote: »
    Only after gettin the RROD there now.!Im fcuking gutted.!I am gonna bring it back to the shop later on because I only got it at Christmas so will they replace it or will I have to send it to Microsoft.??:confused:
    The shop gave me a new one so happy days:D

Ok I was just wondering has anyone who got the rrod been plugging their 360 directly into a wall socket?

I heard somewhere that apparently your supposed to plug the 360 directly into the wall and are advised not to use an extension lead.

I think that's a load of bs though.
    I only have one wall socket in my bedroom so that would be ridiculous having to install another wall socket just to power my 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭junglecliff

what a bunch of **** microsoft are...
    beware if u get the rrod.
    i got em on 8th jan and still waiting on my console which is an elite.
    only to find out today my console is still sitting in ups finglas.
    been on to xbox support 5 times and spelling my whole conversation to
    staff that have very little english and understanding.
    also cant check status of repair online because its wants my postal code..

dont think ill ever buy anything by microsoft again.....!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

what a bunch of **** microsoft are...
    beware if u get the rrod.
    i got em on 8th jan and still waiting on my console which is an elite.
    only to find out today my console is still sitting in ups finglas.
    been on to xbox support 5 times and spelling my whole conversation to
    staff that have very little english and understanding.
    also cant check status of repair online because its wants my postal code..

dont think ill ever buy anything by microsoft again.....!!

Would that not be UPS's fault for not delivering it out to ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭junglecliff

hasnt left ups been sitting there since wednesday.
    microsoft send out a box with labels via ups because last 2 attempts
    to send labels failed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

I've registered my Xbox online and have been e-mailed the label and have it printed. Whats the next step?

1.Stick the xbox without any cables, harddrives etc. into a box that has alot of bubble wrap.

2. Stick the label on the outside of the box in a clear place.

3. Put the return address on the box for where you want it returned to.

4. Go to the UPS website (or whoever the courier is) to arrange a pick-up time. you have to enter the weight of the package as well.

5. Give the package to UPS, and send your xbox on it's merry little way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

1.Stick the xbox without any cables, harddrives etc. into a box that has alot of bubble wrap.

2. Stick the label on the outside of the box in a clear place.

3. Put the return address on the box for where you want it returned to.

4. Go to the UPS website (or whoever the courier is) to arrange a pick-up time. you have to enter the weight of the package as well.

5. Give the package to UPS, and send your xbox on it's merry little way!

Thanks, just one more question. Do you have to pay for postage?

No...Microsoft pay for the return of your xbox...you don't have to pay for any part of the process.

The only thing it will cost you, is time...:D

No...Microsoft pay for the return of your xbox...you don't have to pay for any part of the process.

The only thing it will cost you, is time...:D

24 days and counting for me :( And my xbox hasn't even been anywhere yet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I think mine is on the way out...again. This would be the third time, random "disc unreadable" messages.

Anything that can be done before the inevitable?

Anyone?

SirLemonHead did you get a broken link when UPS emailed you the labels?
    I remember when they emailed me the labels and it wouldn't work came up with unable to retrieve the return label.

What you need to do in that case is change the address you're trying to view the label at by replacing %3d with =.
    Then your label should appear ok.

You'll probably have to ring them again so they can reissue a new set of labels as the labels validity runs out after a certain number of days.
    Also if you can find a box that is the right size somewhere it will speed up the process a lot also.

When its all boxed up and ready then ring ups and tell them it's all ready and they show up at your house the next day.
    Then the waiting starts.

• Advertisement

I've never got any email from UPS., which is the problem. From what I gathered by what the guy on the phone from Microsoft said, UPS never generated the label the 3-4 times they were requested to.

And now DHL haven't delivered the pre-labeled box.

Advertisement