Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox 360 - 3 Red Lights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Brianb8802

Got my xbox back 13 days after it got RRoD. They replaced motherboard and dvd drive, also gave me a 1 months xbox live sub even though I haven't played online in over a year.

Very happy with the whole reapir experience anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

Just got three red rings on xbox this morning :mad:, its out of warranty. Anyone know how much it costs to have it repaired by Microsoft? Is it a set fee or do they have to give an estimate when the console is received?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Apparently their system has been borked since the 10th February. I finally got my shipping labels :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I recieved the wonderful 3 red lights just now on a TEN DAY OLD machine, that's incredibly gay. I left it for a few minutes and turned it back on and it was fine. I'm scared now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

Ah I didnt realise there was an extended warranty. Contacted customer support yesterday and was told to register repair online. Couldnt manage to complete the online repair request as there was some problem so had to ring them again and they created the repair for me over the phone. Just waiting on the shipping labels now. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dan I Am

My Xbox just died after 13 months. When I bought it in Smyths the sales guy told me it came with a 2 year warranty in Ireland, and I saw one post on a boards.ie thread refering to getting one fixed on a 2 year standard warranty here (and 3 years for 3 red lights). The Xbox website says my warranty ran out after a year though (same as UK site?), and people in this thread seem to be talking about (or assuming??) a one year standard warranty?

Any one know anything about this?? If it is out of warranty, and I am going to be charged for a repair, is there any reason not to try a home fix first? I've only got 2 red lights rather than three, so am hoping it is just a heatsink problem rather than cracked solder joints between the processors/motherboard as well?

*EDIT* - After a bit more searching around it turns out it is a 2 year warranty in Ireland :) It's a bit cheeky that the Xbox website tries to charge you after one year if you process your repair online!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

My 14 month old Elite died on me this morning, manufactured on Oct 14th 2007. It was one of the old Zephyr mothers, the 16,5A on the power input gives that away, so I didn't even have a falcon although I thought I did.

Realised I couldn't live without one for 4 weeks and the fact that a repair won't last forever either with this old ass version so went to gamestop and picked up an arcade with the new Jasper board. Slap on the 120gig memory and happy days.

Might try and trade in the fixed Elite when I get it back from MS or sell here somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭dunie001

Why did you downgrade to an arcade instead of just getting another newer elite? just out of curiosity...

is there actually much difference in the regular xbox 360 and the elite anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

Really need to get this off my chest:

On x box number 4:

My warranty is 2 months out with Game so I have to get Microsoft.
    Microsoft want a proof of purchase from Game scanned and emailed to their support department. Then my x box will be picked up and repaired.

This process is BS of the highest order. I explained to the guy in Microsoft that a consumer shouldn't be dealing with all this messing and that Microsoft should have an all out extended lifetime warranty. I am sick of this entire process. I hate Game with their 12 month warranty and clearly I hate Microsoft with their proof of purchase nonsense.

Waste of any mans time when all he wants is to be playing some bleedin games he bought with his hard earned money and relax for a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

dunie001 wrote: »
    Why did you downgrade to an arcade instead of just getting another newer elite? just out of curiosity...

is there actually much difference in the regular xbox 360 and the elite anyway?

Technically its an upgrade, im only switching out the xbox itself, all the peripherals and HDD from the elite I'm using on the new xbox.

The new arcade one is a better model than the poxy old RROD elite I had anyway, quieter, uses less power and doesn't overheat.

I didn't buy another elite cause I don't need all the extras, have em already, and because you can't be sure if it's going to be a Jasper motherboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Dan I Am wrote: »
    My Xbox just died after 13 months. When I bought it in Smyths the sales guy told me it came with a 2 year warranty in Ireland, and I saw one post on a boards.ie thread refering to getting one fixed on a 2 year standard warranty here (and 3 years for 3 red lights). The Xbox website says my warranty ran out after a year though (same as UK site?), and people in this thread seem to be talking about (or assuming??) a one year standard warranty?

Any one know anything about this?? If it is out of warranty, and I am going to be charged for a repair, is there any reason not to try a home fix first? I've only got 2 red lights rather than three, so am hoping it is just a heatsink problem rather than cracked solder joints between the processors/motherboard as well?

*EDIT* - After a bit more searching around it turns out it is a 2 year warranty in Ireland :) It's a bit cheeky that the Xbox website tries to charge you after one year if you process your repair online!

How do you know its two years ?

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Magnusd

Can anyone recommend someone in Dublin who does the 3 red light repairs properly ?

Many thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

My Xbox came back on Friday, ten days after it was picked up by UPS. New dvd drive and motherboard were installed and I got a months gold sub for Xbox live. The repair also got a three month warranty too.

Was very impressed with the speed of their service, and my xbox was one that I bought on the launch day in 2005 so was over three years old.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Yeah mine was a little out or warranty and they still honored it. I was very happy with the turn around time and the ease of setting up the collection etc, Its this kinda service from microsoft that will keep me buying their stuff in the future. :)

I had a PSP with dead pixels all over the screen and when i got onto Sony they said "oh thats perfectly normal, theres no problems with the screen".

Sooo, for that very reason i refused to buy their PS3. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Reptileboy

Do I have to include the Hard Drive when I send it to be repaired?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Reptileboy wrote: »
    Do I have to include the Hard Drive when I send it to be repaired?
    Nope you keep the HDD.!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dan I Am

opr wrote: »
    How do you know its two years ?

Opr

To update it's definately 2 years, but the three different guys I talked to at the other end of the phone on the xbox repair number all tried to tell me it was one year and I was out of warranty. After getting them to check with their bosses, they all came back and sheepishly agreed that it is actually 2 years in Ireland. And don't bother to try and register a warranty repair online if you are into your second year, as they will try and charge you upfront for it first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

dav nagle wrote: »
    Really need to get this off my chest:

Microsoft want a proof of purchase from Game scanned and emailed to their support department. Then my x box will be picked up and repaired.

This process is BS of the highest order. I explained to the guy in Microsoft that a consumer shouldn't be dealing with all this messing and that Microsoft should have an all out extended lifetime warranty. I am sick of this entire process. I hate Game with their 12 month warranty and clearly I hate Microsoft with their proof of purchase nonsense.

Waste of any mans time when all he wants is to be playing some bleedin games he bought with his hard earned money and relax for a bit.

I couldn't agree more. My xbox was bought in smyths in waterford in october 2007. I recently got thr RROD and phoned microsoft. Now, they know that the console was bought in ireland and they know that we have a standard 2 year warranty here. But they keep insisting that my warranty is over and without a proof of purchase (Which i just cannot find) they will not fix the thing, i think it's time for a PS3...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Perrin

I tried ringing +353 12420758 from a mobile torequesta repair but its keeps saying it can't connect to that number

Is that the right number?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Is microsoft still sending refurbs back? or all new ones? I have one to send but might wait a bit longer if there is a chance to get new one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭SIBERIA

Just after getting this red ring now really annoying :mad:.

I was just wondering if anyone out there knows if i can return it to the shop i bought it from. Its second hand so i thinking i cant? Bought April last year in Gamestop i think the bloke said there was a warrenty dont know if he said 6months or 12month :confused: If its tweleve it would mean i have one month left :D! Anyone know what i should do? i have the receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Fantasy_Suicide

SIBERIA wrote: »
    Just after getting this red ring now really annoying :mad:.

I was just wondering if anyone out there knows if i can return it to the shop i bought it from. Its second hand so i thinking i cant? Bought April last year in Gamestop i think the bloke said there was a warrenty dont know if he said 6months or 12month :confused: If its tweleve it would mean i have one month left :D! Anyone know what i should do? i have the receipt.

Hey,

Have you called microsoft as of yet? This happened to a friend of mine recently and he's had his box for alomst two years now. Microsoft said they'd fix it for free and give him 3mth live free also!! So I'd give that a try. Just make sure you get thro to someone who can understand you haha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Mine's on the way to Germania right now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

Mine is on the way to Germany to but regardless of the fact that they are fixing an already faulty 360 Microsoft sell a faulty product and this product should be replaced in any retailer nationwide. The hassle of calling them up and sending them e mails and this and that. Money scam. If you don't want to deal with Microsoft then buy a new X box = more money for microsoft.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sandt

hi guys just got RROD while playing GTA4, thing is mine is an american xbox.
    i bought it about a year and a half ago while on holidays.

what are my options regarding getting it fixed? have i any hope a all??
    just did a quick google search and there seems to be plenty of fixes online, but maybe these are only tempory??

any advice??

edit: i dont have a clue where my receipt is.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cryptkeeper

My 360 died last week 3 red LED's, was loonking online for somewhere to fix it, cannot afford the cost of "proper" repair, so i got a guy i found to do it.
    I am seriously annoyed, the amount of 360 fails reported is huge. I would not have got one if i knew it was so common to fail.
    Also the warrenty is out by 6 months. :mad:
    I wish I still had a megadrive.... :o

The original Xenon 360s are doomed to RROD at some stage.

Newer Falcons and jaspers have cooler running 45Nm CPUs and better designed heatsinks ect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭SIBERIA

After looking into it a little further, It turns out i end up buying a second hand Xenon :o

I'm going Jasper hunting next week, Get my guarantee so i can return it if there's any problems with the new system!

Anybody see any special offers around north Dublin let me know :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Gurg07

I got the RROD 4 days ago on my elite..I got it from Harvey Norman about a year and a half ago...when I bought it I also bought an extended 3 year warranty....was this warranty actualy necesary? because I spent about 60euro extra for it when I was told about the whole RROD problem that xbox's have by the guy in the shop. Anyway....Does anyone know HArvey Normans policy when it comes to xbox 360's with the RROD? Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cryptkeeper

Just an added bit to my post, got my Red Ringed Xbox back yesterday. Its working good, and I've been on it a few hours.
    The guy is in Cork, if anyone needs his number PM me.

Can anyone tell me if there is a place in Cork which deals with this in house? Seems strange that its not easier to find a service in Ireland?

Advertisement