Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox 360 - 3 Red Lights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Got mine back FINALLY on the 20th. So almost took 2 months, not bad :pac:

They gave me a new xbox, a Xenon model :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

lads is there a guy in dublin fixing this problem turn around in 24- 48 hrs
    Im trying to find his name and number not waiting 2months on the shames at microsoft

can someone help??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 BrianRRRR

Fox007,
    goto http://consolerepairsireland.ie - probably the best guy around IMO. Fixed my redring overnight in 2007. Also helped me out with other 360 issues recently.

I recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Just_Magic

Perrin wrote: »
    I tried ringing +353 12420758 from a mobile to request a repair but its keeps saying it can't connect to that number

Is that the right number?

I'm getting the same problem... Something is up with that number :rolleyes:
    Will have to wait til week-end to get my hands on a land line phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Pub07

I just rang them about mine and it is definitely older than 2 years. They never even mentioned it, just took my details and said someone will collect it within 3-5 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Keep getting an E71 error and 1 red light. Every hour or so it freezes, will she ever be better again? Any special extended warranty for that error?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

rizzla wrote: »
    Keep getting an E71 error and 1 red light. Every hour or so it freezes, will she ever be better again? Any special extended warranty for that error?
    3 years extended warranty is only for the 3red lights problem, you have 1 red light.

Basically its failed update error
    It may be fixable by doing this:
    1. Turn off your console
    2. Press the sync button, small white one which you use to sync controllers
    3. While having the sync button pressed turn on console
    4. It will clear all the failed updates.

Let us know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

About a week ago, I started experiencing intermittent in game screen freezes and yesterday, I got a RROD.

I restarted a few times and recreated the RROD but on a couple of the restarts, the console started, I could even navigate around the dashboard menu, but invariably the screen would freeze up again.

This morning, I turned it on and got to play a game - no RROD.

I fully expect to see the RROD again and I'm inclined to send the console off to MS to get repaired (I'm outside the standard warranty period), but I'm concerned that MS will turn it on once, not experience the RROD and send it straight back to me.

Has anyone had a similar situation? How detailed are MS in their evaluations?

dvpower wrote: »
    About a week ago, I started experiencing intermittent in game screen freezes and yesterday, I got a RROD.

I restarted a few times and recreated the RROD but on a couple of the restarts, the console started, I could even navigate around the dashboard menu, but invariably the screen would freeze up again.

I fully expect to see the RROD again and I'm inclined to send the console off to MS to get repaired (I'm outside the standard warranty period), but I'm concerned that MS will turn it on once, not experience the RROD and send it straight back to me.

Turn it on few times a day, try to play games between, let the console cool off between powering on and you should get perma-rrod in a week time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 g_oflaherty

there is a place in Wexford : www.360redringfix.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

dvpower wrote: »

No you'll be ok, just tell them its 3 red rings, they will ask you what color is on the Power supply light tell them its green and then they will give u the return authorization, I've sent one back similar to yours with the intermittant lockup and 3 red rings and they repaired it.

there is a place in Wexford : www.360redringfix.com

None of these so called fixes will work, once you get 3 Red Rings your console is on the way out and you should send it back to M$, these are merely temporary fixes, they might last a month or they might last 3 months but you will get 3 Red rings back. So I would advise anyone with 3ROD to contact M$ and return it to them to do a proper fix.

None of these so called fixes will work, once you get 3 Red Rings your console is on the way out and you should send it back to M$, these are merely temporary fixes, they might last a month or they might last 3 months but you will get 3 Red rings back. So I would advise anyone with 3ROD to contact M$ and return it to them to do a proper fix.

Why would you think M$ does it proper way? Believe me, I've seen a lot of consoles, few of them were after repairs. M$ does nothing else than put some glue around GPU, change the paste and change radiators. I've heard a lot of stories of consoles which returned back from M$ and RRODed after a month.

docentore wrote: »
    Why would you think M$ does it proper way? Believe me, I've seen a lot of consoles, few of them were after repairs. M$ does nothing else than put some glue around GPU, change the paste and change radiators. I've heard a lot of stories of consoles which returned back from M$ and RRODed after a month.

I beg to differ, Microsoft usually swap out the boards in these for the Opus boards if its a non-hdmi board or Falcon's if it's with HDMI, you can even be lucky to get a brand new with this years manufacturing date on them.

Anyway I'd still prefer M$ doing the work under warrenty then some fly-by-night operation doing a temp fix with a heat gun!

I beg to differ, Microsoft usually swap out the boards in these for the Opus boards if its a non-hdmi board or Falcon's if it's with HDMI, you can even be lucky to get a brand new with this years manufacturing date on them.

Anyway I'd still prefer M$ doing the work under warrenty then some fly-by-night operation doing a temp fix with a heat gun!

Fully agree if you will get new one! But in most cases there are refurbs with new heatsinks (heat-pipe ones). It is very rarely when they put new boards, really.

And heatguns are rarely used as well ;) (I tried once, on my own, worked for 2 weeks, X-clamp replacement with new thermal paste is better solution - did about 20 consoles already, 18 successfully fixed.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭jesterhead

Just got the RRoD there, on a console from Tesco. However, upon checking my receipt, I see that I got it exactly 1 year & 1 week ago. Should I bring it to Tesco to try for an exchange/repair or contact Microsoft directly?

ANNOYING!

Fully agree if you will get new one! But in most cases there are refurbs with new heatsinks (heat-pipe ones). It is very rarely when they put new boards, really.

And heatguns are rarely used as well ;) (I tried once, on my own, worked for 2 weeks, X-clamp replacement with new thermal paste is better solution - did about 20 consoles already, 18 successfully fixed.)

Heatgun method is for E74`s. X-clamp for RRoDs, mind you x-clamp can fix some E74`s too.

I've done heat guns and xclamps myself Xclamps are only a temp fix, plenty of posters on the xboxscene forums who hae done the two variations on that fix and have them fail after a couple of months.

I've done heat guns and xclamps myself Xclamps are only a temp fix, plenty of posters on the xboxscene forums who hae done the two variations on that fix and have them fail after a couple of months.

Yes, it is temporary fix. But if you follow xbox-scene (as you do) you probably know that M$ during production process didn't flow chips properly. Xclamp is one thing, too low temperature in factory is other thing.
    BGA stations are using hot air as well (or infra-red) to reflow solder, so properly done fix with heat gun is a working solution.

The one ant only permanent fix would be complete reballing using lead balls. Its to expensive though.

Yes, it is temporary fix. But if you follow xbox-scene (as you do) you probably know that M$ during production process didn't flow chips properly. Xclamp is one thing, too low temperature in factory is other thing.
    BGA stations are using hot air as well (or infra-red) to reflow solder, so properly done fix with heat gun is a working solution.

The one ant only permanent fix would be complete reballing using lead balls. Its to expensive though.

Yeah lots of labour involved in the process as this video shows, but its the only way to do it right, can't see it being much cheaper then buying a new Arcade tbh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Gu3rr1lla

my 360 just got 3 red lights of death but it was fine when i restarted it does this mean its coming to the end of its life? this xbox is the replacement of a previous xbox i had, if i get 3 red lights of death can i get this one replaced again or is it out of warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,147 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Gu3rr1lla wrote: »
    my 360 just got 3 red lights of death but it was fine when i restarted it does this mean its coming to the end of its life? this xbox is the replacement of a previous xbox i had, if i get 3 red lights of death can i get this one replaced again or is it out of warranty?

The warranty resets if you ever have to send your console to Microsoft.
    If its a new console you have a new warranty and RROD is covered for 3 years from when you received it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,231 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

VinLieger wrote: »
    The warranty resets if you ever have to send your console to Microsoft.
    If its a new console you have a new warranty and RROD is covered for 3 years from when you received it

Really? I just got a new one sent this year and I was sweating over whether the warranty was 2 or 3 years. If that's true then I've got nothing to worry about :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Hopefully somebody will be able to help me with this. My Xbox (out of 1 year waranty) started freezing randomly after Xmas it became more and more frequent to the point that turning it on was pointless as it would often either freeze on the microsoft logo screen or not give any picture at all but there were no red lights. It finally gave me 3 red lights the other day and I rang to organise a collection.

I checked it a few times before I phoned and there was 3 red lights and a blank screen each time. Before boxing it up yesterday I decided to switch it back on and low and behold it booted up all the way to the dashboard. I was able to get in and play an arcade game for about 10 seconds before it red lighted on me again.

I know they need to confirm 3 red lights but how far do they go? Do they just switch it on and if it doesnt red light straight away they send it back to you or do they run some other tests? Im just wondering is there any point in me sending it back or should I try and make sure its permanently red lighting first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 roadwars

Could anyone tell me, do you have to call MS or can you just log the fault on-line, i did the latter and got my 360 picked up today but the website says i have no repairs logged??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    Hopefully somebody will be able to help me with this. My Xbox (out of 1 year waranty) started freezing randomly after Xmas it became more and more frequent to the point that turning it on was pointless as it would often either freeze on the microsoft logo screen or not give any picture at all but there were no red lights. It finally gave me 3 red lights the other day and I rang to organise a collection.

I checked it a few times before I phoned and there was 3 red lights and a blank screen each time. Before boxing it up yesterday I decided to switch it back on and low and behold it booted up all the way to the dashboard. I was able to get in and play an arcade game for about 10 seconds before it red lighted on me again.

I know they need to confirm 3 red lights but how far do they go? Do they just switch it on and if it doesnt red light straight away they send it back to you or do they run some other tests? Im just wondering is there any point in me sending it back or should I try and make sure its permanently red lighting first.

As far as I know they do a little bit of testing but they are still useless out of 10 people I know who have sent their xbox to M$ 8 of those consoles broke either 1 or 2 months after the so called fix
    (Also it took 2 months for all of the consoles to be gotten back which is a joke because some of the consoles didnt even last that length)

I got RROD yesterday and I'm not even going to bother sending it away to be honest I think I'm better off buying a new arcade that I can pay for and use tomorrow.
    I think that they should have a registered xbox repairing shop in every country in the world that sells xboxs because having to send them to America on your own money is Goddamn ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Evolute wrote: »
    As far as I know they do a little bit of testing but they are still useless out of 10 people I know who have sent their xbox to M$ 8 of those consoles broke either 1 or 2 months after the so called fix
    (Also it took 2 months for all of the consoles to be gotten back which is a joke because some of the consoles didnt even last that length)

I got RROD yesterday and I'm not even going to bother sending it away to be honest I think I'm better off buying a new arcade that I can pay for and use tomorrow.
    I think that they should have a registered xbox repairing shop in every country in the world that sells xboxs because having to send them to America on your own money is Goddamn ridiculous.

I sent it off anyway and got word back this morning that it has been replaced so happy days. If it does go tits up again I might consider going the Arcade route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    I sent it off anyway and got word back this morning that it has been replaced so happy days. If it does go tits up again I might consider going the Arcade route.

Your one of the lucky few that had someone too lazy to do anything to it so they replaced it you jammy beggar

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Artfu1Dodger

My 20gb xbox keeps freezing 5mins after turning it on. Is the rrod on its way? Dont fancy the hassel sending it back to microsoft so how much dose a console repair place charge to have it fixed.

• Advertisement

byrneno7 wrote: »
    My 20gb xbox keeps freezing 5mins after turning it on. Is the rrod on its way? Dont fancy the hassel sending it back to microsoft so how much dose a console repair place charge to have it fixed.

tbh your better off going through the pain of microsoft as it's a better fix, most repair crowds will overheat the gpu which is a temp fix, I suppose your looking at between 50 and 100 euros for a repair crowd, just be prepared to return it again and again after it fails again.

Advertisement