Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox 360 - 3 Red Lights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 hickeydermot

im looking to buy a xbox 360 online off a guy in galway who is letting it go for 50 euros including p&p , it has the 3 rings but is only a year or so old im going to ring up microsoft and pretend i bout it originally

any advice? there shouldnt be a problem should there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

ask the guy if he ever registered the console with microsoft. If so ask him to ring them and unregister it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

So i went into smyths to buy an xbox 360 and when i asked to buy extended warranty they said they dont do it but microsoft warranty is already 3 years long, they said all i have to do is ring microsoft and register! to be honest i dont really trust them cause i thought the 3 year warranty was only for the RROD and e74

i had an xbox before and that got the e74 and i dont want to take the risk again!

will that warranty cover everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,365 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

sfhawke7w wrote: »
    hi guys hope u can help, got great arvice lat year over the 3 rings, my neighbour called in this evening, her sons x box has one red ring and is reading e73 error, she rang microsoft and they want a copy of the receipt, the credit card one is faded and she doesnt have a shop one, so the woman she spoke to has asked for her credit card bill to be faxed, now you can imagine not willing to do that.

so question is? is there a way to solve the e73 error and one red light? or does the xbox need to be sent off also

thanks again
    Zombie-Reply, but for the record:
    An E74 error is when the lower-right quadrant of the ring-piece indicator flashes red and displays an error message in multiple languages: "E74 System Error. Contact Xbox Customer Support". The error is caused when there's a video problem, either because the audio/video cable is broken or when the Xbox 360 hardware scaler chip is damaged.[67] As of April 14, 2009, the E74 error is now covered by the three-year extended warranty, and customers who previously paid Microsoft for out-of-warranty service to correct the E74 error will receive a refund.[68][69]
    It is worth noting that the E74 error is displayed in the Screens of Death article as a "Green Screen of Death" because early versions of these errors had an almost jet-black background with a hue of dark green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

My Xbox just died for the second time within 12 months, the warranty should be up in 2010 as it was bought in 07..

When I rang I informed them that I was worried about the fact that if it failed in another 12 months time I would have no warranty.

He then informed me that my Warranty date commenced from 06/08, the date i got the console back.

The xbox was bought back in 07...:confused:

Are they renewing the date of warranty when an xbox goes in for repairs? Mine was not replaced as far as I am aware, I remember they noted that they changed the motherboard.

So now my Warranty date is 2011, this is according to the agent I had over the phone.

I wonder will I get another 3 years after this next return...interesting

Any other multiple return xbox owners care to shed any light on this? (sorry i'm not browsing 64 pages :))

I'll report back when I get it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭BCawley

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    So i went into smyths to buy an xbox 360 and when i asked to buy extended warranty they said they dont do it but microsoft warranty is already 3 years long, they said all i have to do is ring microsoft and register! to be honest i dont really trust them cause i thought the 3 year warranty was only for the RROD and e74

i had an xbox before and that got the e74 and i dont want to take the risk again!

will that warranty cover everything?

I'm pretty sure if anything goes wrong within a year you can bring it back to smiths for a repair, refund or replacement. Thats the Law.

After that only the e74 and 3 rings are covered for 2 further years. Thats microsoft admitting a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

aaarrggghhhh......
    Double XP weekend on COD and my damn machine red rings on me !!!!!
    Grrrrrrr.....
    First the screen was freezing and then 3 red rings, then one red ring and the e71 error.....

This is the second time for me.........
    Boo hoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Got my xbox back from repair on Monday.

Tuesday I turned it on, three red lights, turned it on an hour later it was fine.

Today (Sunday) It got three red lights during a game, it turned the console off and the green power symbol was flashing, never had that happen before (this is my 5th 360 console)

Seems to be okay now, just wish MS would bring out their new console so I don't have to deal with this shoddy piece of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭HighWire

Turned it on to have a game of footie.
    Bang, 3 big red lights staring back at me.
    This is the second time this has happened, they "fixed" it.
    Think they could sort this out.
    Off the Germany with it again.
    Not happy.
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

HighWire wrote: »
    Turned it on to have a game of footie.
    Bang, 3 big red lights staring back at me.
    This is the second time this has happened, they "fixed" it.
    Think they could sort this out.
    Off the Germany with it again.
    Not happy.
    :mad:

or just pay 50 euro to the guy on here fixing them ya hae it back in 24hrs like I did:D pm docentore he sort ya out

• Advertisement

Suppose.
    But that would have been €50 for the last time, and €50 for this time.
    Ok I have to wait, AGAIN, but I got a months free Live from them the last time, better get the same again.
    I know its a pain waiting, but I'd rather let them take the costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Can someone help, I'm a little confused about the warrenty on my 360. I bought my 360 back in 06 but had got the RROD, so I sent it off and when it returned I got the RROD again. So it returned in December 06 and they gave me a refurbished/new 360. Now my 360 has got the RROD once again.

So I am now looking at my Warranty Status on Xbox.com and it says my standard warranty began on 16/5/06 and ends on the 16/5/07. There is an extended warranty of 3 years on RROD problems but does that still apply to me? Technically the warranty on my current 360 didn't begin since December 2006 so I'm confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭irl/silverfox/

just to throw this out 360 now gone back again fourth time for RINGS OF DEATH

what are microsoft upto

where is their customer service free month is bull

ps3 still working no probs:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dub2

May I ask a related to a degree question. My son has just recieved his xbox back from microsoft, no complaints about the delivery serivce or speed of which it was repaired. My problem is none of the games he purchased are on the hard drive any longer. The xbox has been repaired or replaced. They have also given him one month of live free for his trouble. However the amount he spent on downloaded live games is over seventy euro and he has lost all of them, any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

However the amount he spent on downloaded live games is over seventy euro and he has lost all of them

I assume the live games are linked to his live account. If he signs in he should be able to download them again for free.

Sadly cant do much about the save games :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dub2

Thank you for that quick response, I can tell him that now, he will be very pleased.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Just got my first RROD today. :( At least its still within the extended warranty.

Xbox arrived today. It's a new one but no HDMI. Not sure if it's quieter yet as I didn't get the chance to play it yet.

Got 1 months free gold membership too.

hey dude, I'm in the exact same boat as you. Would you mind telling me what the 5th last digit is on your new serial number ?
    eg: 8207506 9 1605. The 9 means this xbox is a 2009 model which means its probably a jasper.....:):):)

claiva wrote: »
    hey dude, I'm in the exact same boat as you. Would you mind telling me what the 5th last digit is on your new serial number ?
    eg: 8207506 9 1605. The 9 means this xbox is a 2009 model which means its probably a jasper.....:):):)

He said that it has no HDMI so its defo not Jasper. probably refurb.

Are the both parts of casing the same colour? I noticed on one that one of them was more yellowish than the other one.

what do you get when you get a refurb ?
    Is it an old rrod machine that has been patched up ?
    why wasn't it sent back to its original owner ?

I really don't want a refurb.

Might have to sell it on if thats the case.

I want a jasper now that I've had the rrod twice !!!
    :eek:

• Advertisement

what do you get when you get a refurb ?
    Is it an old rrod machine that has been patched up ?
    why wasn't it sent back to its original owner ?

I really don't want a refurb.

Might have to sell it on if thats the case.

I want a jasper now that I've had the rrod twice !!!
    :eek:

I don't know where do they take parts for refurbs, but imagine that:
    1. busy time in repair plant in germany, targets not meet but big stock of new motherboards - lets send everyone their box with new motherboard.
    2. some tie after, its get more quiet, new revision of 360's on the market etc, but repair plant in deutchland has hell of a stock of old motherboards, some manager thinks: let fix them by applying glue ot the chips, reheating them etc and send them in new cages as new consoles, people will be delighted!

The best way would be to sell it on ebay / advers and get Jasper, but to be honest I don't believe it will be much better. I'm pretty sure in half of a year we will have a lot of e74 on them. That's my bet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

UPC picked up my dead Xbox today. Hopefully i will have it back before Ghostbusters arrives! :(

I dont care what parts they use to fix it, as long as its works.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Sighface

not a red ring of death but close

i got an e74 error a few days ago, this morning when i brought it back into currys in derry(where i purchased it 2 years ago , with recipt in hand) they told me it is out of warranty, i told her there is an extended warranty on the e74 issue, she insisted that the store can not do anything for me and rang microsoft and put me on to them to order a repair , i would prefer to get a replacement in the store

who is right? me or the staff at currys?

docentore wrote: »
    1. busy time in repair plant in germany, targets not meet but big stock of new motherboards - lets send everyone their box with new motherboard.
    2. some tie after, its get more quiet, new revision of 360's on the market etc, but repair plant in deutchland has hell of a stock of old motherboards, some manager thinks: let fix them by applying glue ot the chips, reheating them etc and send them in new cages as new consoles, people will be delighted!

The best way would be to sell it on ebay / advers and get Jasper, but to be honest I don't believe it will be much better. I'm pretty sure in half of a year we will have a lot of e74 on them. That's my bet.

Yes I can see how this could happen alright.....boo hoo...shame on them....coz their "fix" obviously doesn't work. At least the "new" machine they send back to you is back under a 3 year warranty.
    What would I get for it on adverts etc ?
    Lets say with 1 Wireless and 1 Wired Controllers and a 20gb hard drive.

Sighface wrote: »
    not a red ring of death but close

i got an e74 error a few days ago, this morning when i brought it back into currys in derry(where i purchased it 2 years ago , with recipt in hand) they told me it is out of warranty, i told her there is an extended warranty on the e74 issue, she insisted that the store can not do anything for me and rang microsoft and put me on to them to order a repair , i would prefer to get a replacement in the store

who is right? me or the staff at currys?

The Staff in Currys mate in this instance.
    Shops will only replace within 1 year, and I don't think they are obliged to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Sighface

The Staff in Currys mate in this instance.
    Shops will only replace within 1 year, and I don't think they are obliged to do it.
    aww thats grand then, was hoping to get a quick swap out and be fixed lets just hope when its back from repair i dont have to deal with this prob again :D

Yes I can see how this could happen alright.....boo hoo...shame on them....coz their "fix" obviously doesn't work. At least the "new" machine they send back to you is back under a 3 year warranty.
    What would I get for it on adverts etc ?
    Lets say with 1 Wireless and 1 Wired Controllers and a 20gb hard drive.

for the console like that which just came back - around 100e, maybe less maybe more. put 120e as asking price. Also ring MS and unregister the console so the next owner can register it him(her)self and mention that in the ad (full 3y warranty etc.)

Thats a good start for Jasper ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

my 360 was out of warranty, MS wanted 90 euro to repair it! forget that, i fixed it myself. Its working grand now, i just did the x clamp replacement technique. Cost me 10 quid to buy the parts off ebay, and hopefully should be rrod-proof now that the x clamps are gone

Woo-Hoo....
    UPS says my Xbox is on track to be delivered on Monday 29th June. Exactly 2weeks since it was collected.
    Pretty good service in fairness.
    Having desperate withdrawls.......

• Advertisement

How can you tell if the xbox you get back is a refurb?
    docentore wrote: »

Advertisement