Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox 360 - 3 Red Lights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Sent off my 360 yesterday. My warranty was up but when they found out that this was my 3rd time to get the RROD they gave me a free repair and 1 month free Live. I was hoping to get a HDMI 360 back but after reading here it doesn't look likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

HighWire wrote: »
    How can you tell if the xbox you get back is a refurb?

Mine was two coloured, one of the halves of case was older, the other one looked like new. To make sure you'd have to open the case

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

Dman001 wrote: »
    Sent off my 360 yesterday. My warranty was up but when they found out that this was my 3rd time to get the RROD they gave me a free repair and 1 month free Live. I was hoping to get a HDMI 360 back but after reading here it doesn't look likely.

Hey Dman001,
    How is your xbox out of warranty if you've had the rrod twice already ?
    Do you mean the standard one year was out ?
    You know, the warranty is 3 years for the the rrod and now the e79 is also covered under the 3 year warranty.

I'd have thought you would have had 3 years since the last time you got the repaired xbox back from Microsoft ...No ?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,925 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Is your warranty renewed after you get a repaired one back though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

for anyone whos xbox is out of warranty and doesnt want to pay 90 euro for a repair, i seriously advise looking up the x clamp replacement method.
    I bought the tools and screws i needed off ebay for 10 euro, and an hour or two of working on it i had it back up and running. So just be aware there are other avenues of approach when it comes to an out of warranty RROD'ed xbox

• Advertisement

UPDATE:
    I just got my xbox back. 2 weeks to the day. excellent service....considering.
    It is not my old machine though.
    It looks new and the serial number is 2009 but it is a refurb.
    A 2007 model refurb.
    No HDMI.
    No Jasper.

I'm trading it in to Game tomorrow.
    They said they will give me €80 for it.
    When I add in a 20gb drive and controllers etc I shouldn't be too much out of pocket.
    I'm taking the opportunity to trade in GH2 and GTA aswell.

One more day without playing it though......

claiva wrote: »
    Hey Dman001,
    How is your xbox out of warranty if you've had the rrod twice already ?
    Do you mean the standard one year was out ?
    You know, the warranty is 3 years for the the rrod and now the e79 is also covered under the 3 year warranty.

I'd have thought you would have had 3 years since the last time you got the repaired xbox back from Microsoft ...No ?
    I thought that too.

The last time they sent my 360 to be repaired they sent me a refurbished one back. That was in December 2006. Now I thought that I had a 3 year warranty from December 2006 but when I checked on the Xbox website it told me my warranty was up. So I rang customer care and they told me that my warranty was indeed up. I had told him the situation and how I thought the 3 year warranty began from December 2006. He replied "oh, this is 3rd time for this to happen? Let me heck that out".

Anyway when he came back he said that because this was the 3rd time to happen, he would give me a free repair.

So now I am assuming that I now have no warranty left when I receive my next 360 from MS.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Dman001 wrote: »
    I thought that too.

The last time they sent my 360 to be repaired they sent me a refurbished one back. That was in December 2006. Now I thought that I had a 3 year warranty from December 2006 but when I checked on the Xbox website it told me my warranty was up. So I rang customer care and they told me that my warranty was indeed up. I had told him the situation and how I thought the 3 year warranty began from December 2006. He replied "oh, this is 3rd time for this to happen? Let me heck that out".

Anyway when he came back he said that because this was the 3rd time to happen, he would give me a free repair.

So now I am assuming that I now have no warranty left when I receive my next 360 from MS.

Lads hang tough, if they say its out of warrenty, even if its on a second refurb and they saw sorry its out of warrenty, ask to speak to a supervisor, as its the replacement one they sent you and it's their problem that the refurb has failed! Hang tough and even though you'll waste an hour or two of your life onto them you will get another replacement!

Lads hang tough, if they say its out of warrenty, even if its on a second refurb and they saw sorry its out of warrenty, ask to speak to a supervisor, as its the replacement one they sent you and it's their problem that the refurb has failed! Hang tough and even though you'll waste an hour or two of your life onto them you will get another replacement!
    Well they did give me a free repair, and I didn't even kick up a fuss so I was satisfied. But if they didn't offer me the free repair I would of complained seeing as it was the 3rd time to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

My Xbox was collected by UPS Man today. Its 'manufacturing date' is July 2006.... so that was a close one. :eek:

• Advertisement

Update :
    Woo..Hooo.....:P:P
    Just picked up my new Jasper Arcade machine.
    Traded in my just returned RROD machine (albeit a refurb) and got a brand spanking new machine plus extra controllers and games and a play and charge kit.

Happy days are here again.
    Can't wait for 5.30.....
    Gonna be a struggle gettin this lot home on my push bike.....

No pain no gain !!!!

I un-registered my old xbox with Microsoft. The support guy seemed surprised.
    Makes it easier for the next Joe when he needs to send it back with RROD !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

I un-registered my old xbox with Microsoft. The support guy seemed surprised.
    Makes it easier for the next Joe when he needs to send it back with RROD !!!!

Fair play to you for doing that

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭HighWire

UPDATE:
    I just got my xbox back. 2 weeks to the day. excellent service....considering.
    It is not my old machine though.
    It looks new and the serial number is 2009 but it is a refurb.
    A 2007 model refurb.
    So can I ask, when did you buy your first xbox? Was it after 2007?
    I have a bit of an issue if you send them you xbox, say you got
    it last year 08, and they give you back one that a) isnt yours
    and b) is an 07 box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Just got the RRoD. To say Im pissed off is an understatement :mad:

First time getting it, can someone link me to instructions on what I do now? Where do I send it back to?

The manufacturing date on the back is 2006-08-18, does that mean Im still in warranty?

HighWire wrote: »
    So can I ask, when did you buy your first xbox? Was it after 2007?
    I have a bit of an issue if you send them you xbox, say you got
    it last year 08, and they give you back one that a) isnt yours
    and b) is an 07 box.

Hi, my xbox that RROD'd twice on me was a 2006 model. The first time it RROD'd, they repaired it and sent it back to me. The second time it happened they sent me a refurb. The refurb sticker indicated that it was 2009, and the 4th last digit on the serial number was 9.
    However, I know that it is not a 2009 model because it did not have a HDMI connection and the power connection was that of a Xenon/Zephyr motherboard model which were the earliest ones. http://www.360drives.com/howto
    So, Docentore's account of what probably happened on page 56 was bang on.
    Just trade it in when you get it back.

My one I sent back was HDMI so if I get one back that doesnt have HDMI I'll be seriously annoyed and they'll be sending out another one.

Claiva see the Jasper connection from that you sent, would you need a different power supply if you got one? You only have to send the box back.

Claiva see the Jasper connection from that you sent, would you need a different power supply if you got one? You only have to send the box back.[/QUOTE]

No.
    New machines can use old power supplys, but older machines cannot use new power supplys.
    Can't figure out if that means its backwards but not forwards compatable or forwards but not backwards compatable......:eek::eek:

You will get back the same spec I would imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭D-Boy

I fixed mine myself by takin it apart pretty darn easy tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭RaoulDukeHST

Hi, Do you know if the arcade has a HDMI port in Ireland?
    My 360 keeps overheating (2 Rings) and I tried everything to fix it - clean out dust etc. I am thinking I will cut my losses and get an arcade but I need HDMI.

Yes.
    All new Arcades have HDMI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭RaoulDukeHST

cool, thanks. I might try redo the thermal paste on the CPU first but failing that will get a new arcade - it will probably reduce my electricity bill and be quieter!

You will get back the same spec I would imagine.
    Yeah but from what I've read it might not be the same machine
    you get back.
    There must be something wrong with that.
    If you leave your car in with the mechanic he isnt going to give
    you back someone elses car.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

My xbox also keeps overheating it was repaired last year but is well out of warranty

If I were you I would force the rrod............
    Do you have it well ventilated ?
    With none of the vents obstructed ?
    Is it sitting on carpet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

:mad:it just happened to me!right when i was getting into the new map pack:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Rascal77

Guys has the Jasper finally sorted out the RROD or is it still happening with this chip.I dont really want to fork out for a new console again after buying the red elite to solve this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

hmm mine has started to freeze randomly as of yesterday morning. 4 times out of the 5 times I have had it on so far.

Hope its not a sign. Happened briefly before months back when I was playing COD4, it would freeze randomly once or twice, but it hadnt for a long time.

*sigh*

few minutes later and HEY PRESTO

my first red ring of death.

god damnit. And I have an elite model, thought I was safe from these problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭madheaded

my 360 just rrod'ed for the first time and im having trouble requesting a repair online do i have to ring up to request a repair because i rang before and the person i was talking to had very poor english and it pi**ed me off
    Also my xbox was manufactured in Feb 07 is it one of the old generation ones which is doomed to rrod?

• Advertisement

I dont know. I just requested my repair online without any issue. The phonecall just told me to go to the website so I didnt see any alternative.

what trouble are you having?

Advertisement