Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox 360 - 3 Red Lights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I got a sheet of paper dropped through the door that has a customer receipt thing on it. Is this my tags or what? Do I put my Xbox in a box and just stick this to it and send it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Stephen007

Got the RROD death on Saturday myself it’s gone of to MS today :( Does anyone know what the status of your warranty is when you get the repaired one back? Does it continue from the date purchased or do you get a new warranty?

This will be my second repaired 360, and the worrying thing is everybody I know who has a 360 has had to send it back at leased once for repair! its a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

I bought an xbox 2nd hand off gamestop in june '07. It recently got the 3 red rings. So I called the xbox helpline to get it sent off to be fixed. It turns out the guy who owned the xbox before me had already registered it. Microsoft refused to repair it for free because I am not the first owner of the console. I kicked up a fuss, and got transfered to a supervisor and had a go at him etc, but they blankly refused to repair it for free. He quoted page 4 of the warranty book, where it says the guarantee is only valid for the original purchaser of the console. Do I have any comeback, with either them or gamestop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Kid Icarus

@baztard
    Man, that sucks. If I were you, I'd be gunning for Gamestop, Micro$oft have their arses covered. Just depends on Gamestop's warranty length for second hand stuff.

Anyway, my 360 Red-Ringed on 25th January - got it replaced in Smyths for a brand new one (one of the ones with a HDMI port, no less!). Thing now is that none of my DLC content work. Microsoft have said they will transfer the licence if I can show that the console was actually exchanged (apprently the "Exchanged - Ring Of Death" written at the bottom of the receipt doesn't cut it). Now I need to get something from Smyths, saying that I exchanged the consoles...

This whole situation is a bloody joke. Locking content to one console would be fine, if the consoles didn't die as often as they do. But why is it so bloody hard to change the activation to a new console? Idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

baztard wrote: »
    I bought an xbox 2nd hand off gamestop in june '07. It recently got the 3 red rings. So I called the xbox helpline to get it sent off to be fixed. It turns out the guy who owned the xbox before me had already registered it. Microsoft refused to repair it for free because I am not the first owner of the console. I kicked up a fuss, and got transfered to a supervisor and had a go at him etc, but they blankly refused to repair it for free. He quoted page 4 of the warranty book, where it says the guarantee is only valid for the original purchaser of the console. Do I have any comeback, with either them or gamestop?

Man - people seriously need to know that!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭gar1234

just updated cod4 and got the dredded RROD going to give M$ a bell now me head is wrecked:mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

Turned mine on earlier tonight 3 rrod....piece of sh1te. Did the towel trick and now working again. Question I have my receipt still once this goes again cane I take it back to game? Its 18 months after purchase...im holding out for a hdmi one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I have a white sheet that UPS dropped through the door. What do I do now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh 2nd xbox has just packed up after only 5 months
    !!!! tried explaining my frustration to the dopeeeeeeeeee on the phone, "yis, yis I understand" blatently you dont you damn incompentent sap. I know he is only doing his job, (i work in call centre, difference is people here sound and actually know what they're doing!!!!)

Any ways, the labels will be sent out in the post and I should have them by Thursday, I'll be kind and give them till friday, seeing as the problems I had the last time in getting them emailed to me!!!!

Any way, the main point of this post is to find out where I stand in just bringing this back to gamestop and getting a credit note and getting a ps3?

xbox is a sham

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

about 3 weeks ago I got my console back having had red rings for the 2nd time
    they replaced the mobo, yesterday I got em again, I rang Mircrosoft and straight away I was put onto a supervisor who told me that because i have been so "unlucky" and its the third time there is a different procedure, anyway DHL are supposed to pick up the console and supply a box and labels the lot and , i am supposed to get the console back within 10 working days, he also offered me Forza 2(from a list of games) and a play and charge kit as compensation which I accepted. For the first time I seriously considered getting a PS3 , I just hope they give me a new console this time,if not I am trading it in for an elite. I still have not got the wireless headpiece they promised me as compensation for the 2nd episode , apparently they are out of stock at the moment. Microsoft are doing their best , but its hard after 3 RROD episodes not to be majorly disappointed .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Got my xbox back earlier today. Working for now. Round trip of ten days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hottstuff

My 5 month old Elite (lot 0728) got about 8 or 9 (intermittant) RROD last night after updating COD4 with the patch.
    Also had a few lock ups with the dreaded pixelation/lines on the screen(GPU failure)
    Was fine before this.
    Back to Gamestop today it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭omalleyTown

Just got the red rings on friday night. Rang microsoft today and get them to email me the labels. I just want to thank everyone for all the advice that was posted up here, it made the process as quick as possible.

To be honest its a bit of a relief. We all know that 100% of the launch consoles are going to fail eventually, so I was just waiting for it to happen.

20/03/06 - 07/03/08 - Thank god for a 3 year warranty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Seán_B

Guys, I also would like to thank everyone who contributed to this!

My 8 month old pro system died yesterday, armed with full box, packaging and receipt, I brought it down to Smyths.

Got the stock "you'll have to deal with MS" response, but just told them that my contact was with them, not MS. Girl went off to talk to the manager, few minutes later, to their credit, I was offered new falcon m/b Xbox pro! I even took the chance to go for the elite, which cost me an extra €50!

So, moral of the story is that if you have a receipt and the fault develops within 12 months, go back to the point of sale, stick to your guns and replacement will be given immediately.

Hopefully, this will be the end of my RROD experiences, but just to be sure I'm raising the unit of the ground and using it in the middle of the floor for maximium ventilated area!!!!

Thanks agains for the knowledge and advice!

Got a new Falcon Elite (lot 0745) for my own RROD from Gamestop.
    I hope this is the end of this for me , on my 4th now and there have been no REAL reports of Falcon's failing.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

would it be true to say that the newer manufactured xbox's are more reliable than the 1st batch? anyone not had the RROD on an xbox bought in the last 4/5 months?

sternn wrote: »
    would it be true to say that the newer manufactured xbox's are more reliable than the 1st batch? anyone not had the RROD on an xbox bought in the last 4/5 months?

Well some say yes , there have been failures.
    But Falcons 65nm (lot 0745 onwards 175w power brick) seem to be your best bet for hoping to have a 360 free of RROD.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Well now I'm getting annoyed.
    Start of January, red ring. Sent it off for repairs.
    Three / four weeks later, Xbox returns. Screen freezing. Off it goes again.
    After another 12 or 13 working days, second repair comes back. More screen freezes after around 15 minutes of play. Rather than send it off again, I googled every solution I could find. Since I'm using a VGA cable, told me to put in a standard cable and set the Box back to PAL 60. Did it, fixed the problem for around two or three days. And then the screen freezes begin again. Try to move the power source to give it more air, no joy. Removed the hard drive, tried again: still banjaxed.

So guess I'm gonna have to phone customer support again. Going to ask for a supervisor and demand a new console. What the hell do they do when they 'repair' the things?

So guess I'm gonna have to phone customer support again. Going to ask for a supervisor and demand a new console. What the hell do they do when they 'repair' the things?

Ouch.
    I'd do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I am stunned at the amount of people who have gotten RROD. I must be one of the few who have not had the problem. I got my 360 on launch day in December 2005, and it has not given one bit of bother since getting it.

Most people I know that bought one six or seven months after me seem to have the RROD problem. Rush job on batches to try and keep up on sales?

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    I am stunned at the amount of people who have gotten RROD. I must be one of the few who have not had the problem. I got my 360 on launch day in December 2005, and it has not given one bit of bother since getting it.

Most people I know that bought one six or seven months after me seem to have the RROD problem. Rush job on batches to try and keep up on sales?

I think it is more like "luck of the draw".
    My launch console died a year after i got it and gave no problems whatsoever in the first year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭penguin-o7

dont me to take off topic but how long/on average to get your 360 back after it gets picked up to be repaired.

even a pm will do

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

hottstuff wrote: »
    I think it is more like "luck of the draw".

i had mine 14 months with absolutely no problems whatsoever. i first found this thread a week ago (9 days to be precise). UPS guy picked it up 5 days ago, it's in Germany now. Reading this thread is like watching that video from The Ring (shorter timescale to death though).

in the midst of my disgruntlment i must voice my appreciation for all the very helpful info thats available here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

penguin-o7 wrote: »
    dont me to take off topic but how long/on average to get your 360 back after it gets picked up to be repaired.

even a pm will do

Generally about 2 weeks (Mine took 12days) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭penguin-o7

Batesy wrote: »
    Generally about 2 weeks (Mine took 12days) :)

nice one thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Argh, Fupping second console with RROD. Read through this thread and tried to register the console on xbox.com, when I tried to do it I got an error message every time?!?!!?

Also,do I need the receipt to return the console to MS?? Seeing as this is my second console failure, this one was sent out to me by them, should I push for some kind of freebie or upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Rang them this morning and I have to say it was fairly painfree. No tags e-mailed or posted but the courier brings out the box and tags complete.

Free months xbox live too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

well mine finally packed it in today. bought it on launch day too. I have to say tho, I will not be accepting a "repair" job as it seems people have multiple failures after getting a "repair"

I dont think it is something they can repair. I will be demanding a new replacement or a refund. may just get a ps3 this is fubar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Im afraid its after just happening me today.

It stopped and freezed twice on st patricks day.
    It froze the first time and I turned it off.
    Then I turned it on later and it froze again on fifa 08 menu.
    I just turned it off then plugged it out and left it.
    I turned it on today and got the red ring of death.

SO when I send it off should I leave the hard drive on it?

I got the premium version which came with the hard drive and no cover for the top of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Second console, this will be my second time with second console

They "fixed" it by replacing motherboard.... 3 weeks later (today) RROD

Gonna demand a replacement - new console. This is retarded. They cant even fix it to last longer than a month, at least brand new consoles last at least a year!!

Advertisement