Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox 360 - 3 Red Lights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

ND 1978 wrote: »
    My launch-day 360 has finally succumbed to RROD :(

Guess it did pretty well to last over 3 years, based on some of the stories here. So obviously its out of any warranty, extended or otherwise. So I see my options as :

1. Microsoft repair - is that the 91 euro option?
    2. Get fixed by console repairs in bray - anyone any experience with them?
    3. Get a new Xbox Arcade and lash my old HD onto it

Self-fixing is not really an option, I am not good at that kind of thing!

Any advice?

1: Microsoft repair. I got this done and it broke 2 weeks later. Rubbish and took ages.
    2: Console Repairs. got this done a month ago, sitll working, however, they installed the turbo fan. It is so loud I can barely play it, you can hear the fans upstairs. It's dreadful.
    3. I actually did this a year and a half ago... and it RRODd too. It's the quietiest, quickest solution, but the most expensive.

Despite what MS say, people I know with ALL the different chipsets are having RROD issues. So there is no great solution IMHO.

Unless you burn the thing in your garden and buy a wii or somethin lol.

So the best solution is a PS3 then....

So the best solution is a PS3 then....

It pains me to say it but I think I would go with a ps3, and I used to be the no 1 xbox fan.

however, the ps3 has the three beeps of death... not sure if it's widespread though...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

My xbox is in barking, how many stages left?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

PS3's are just as bad, lasers are always failing, even the new models, which have newer lasers fail, also I've noticed my ps3 fans are getting louder, then again I'm playing COD WAW non-stop so it gets a good workout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

Fuhrer wrote: »
    My xbox is in barking, how many stages left?

I've no idea but let me know how it goes. Mine has only just left brussels. I'm assuming we're talking about coming back here btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Just went to arrange collection from Dublin 18 and the UPS online form says they don't pick up from that location and I will have to drop it in. Is this normal now? Browsing through the opening pages of this thread it seems that UPS were collecting consoles.

I'm doing it wrong, aren't I?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

They collected mine and im in the middle of nowhere

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

1: Microsoft repair. I got this done and it broke 2 weeks later. Rubbish and took ages.
    2: Console Repairs. got this done a month ago, sitll working, however, they installed the turbo fan. It is so loud I can barely play it, you can hear the fans upstairs. It's dreadful.
    3. I actually did this a year and a half ago... and it RRODd too. It's the quietiest, quickest solution, but the most expensive.

Despite what MS say, people I know with ALL the different chipsets are having RROD issues. So there is no great solution IMHO.

Unless you burn the thing in your garden and buy a wii or somethin lol.

just RE:2

I dont think they install a new fan, I got one that was repaired from them before and they had done a 12v fan mod (we'll i dont know that for sure, i know it was repaired by them, or at least the seller said it was, and it had a 12v mod fan in it). What it does is it makes your fan run as fast as it can all the time, but you're right its just too loud. I returned it back to the normal , even if it makes your xbox not last as long at least you might be able to play it :P

just RE:2

I dont think they install a new fan, I got one that was repaired from them before and they had done a 12v fan mod (we'll i dont know that for sure, i know it was repaired by them, or at least the seller said it was, and it had a 12v mod fan in it). What it does is it makes your fan run as fast as it can all the time, but you're right its just too loud. I returned it back to the normal , even if it makes your xbox not last as long at least you might be able to play it :P

I understand why they do it, they don't want it back 3 days later broken. It makes sense and they do give you the option upfront, which is very fair. Not having a pop at the guys, they helped me big time.
    However it sounds like a fookin plane taking off

• Advertisement

I returned it back to the normal , even if it makes your xbox not last as long at least you might be able to play it :P

Is it really that noisy after they fix it? i.e. almost unplayable? :eek:

Mine was back this morning. Shipped to them Monday of last week so not a bad turnaround.

Replacement console (no hdmi). Hopefully all will be well when I check it at home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Is it really that noisy after they fix it? i.e. almost unplayable? :eek:

12v fan mod makes the console VERY loud. 9V is little bit quieter. I would suggest doing 7v or 9v.

3. Get a new Xbox Arcade and lash my old HD onto it

And has anyone any stories to tell about doing this? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I just couldn't stand the 12v mod fan, no way! Maybe for a console that only see a few lads playing Pro evo or something but any game with a bit atmosphere will be ruined by the boeing 747 taken off!

I offer this fix, so this might sound strange but I always suggest to people to only use it as a last resort.

Like if i fix a screen on a ds I know under normal use that screen is still going to be fine in a years time, I can not say anything like that for the RROD fix, none of the fixers can. Now there is Xboxs I've done over a year ago that are still going strong but they could well be a rarity, as I've done consoles that barely lasted a few months.

I admire your honesty anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wong

Eh mine has the red rings now and I can't even manage to register a console repair on the xbox website. Been emailing the xbox support but it aint worth a ****e. Take ages to reply and just respond with suggestions I've already tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

wong wrote: »
    Eh mine has the red rings now and I can't even manage to register a console repair on the xbox website. Been emailing the xbox support but it aint worth a ****e. Take ages to reply and just respond with suggestions I've already tried.

ring them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Perrin

Warranty Status: Standard Warranty Expired
    Warranty Type: Standard
    Warranty Start:
    Warranty Expiration: 11/23/2007 6:59:59 PM
    Standard Warranty Expired: A three-year warranty applies to conditions indicated by three red lights.

This is the info I get when I check online,mine ringed so I'm wondering am I still covered?

Perrin wrote: »
    Warranty Status: Standard Warranty Expired
    Warranty Type: Standard
    Warranty Start:
    Warranty Expiration: 11/23/2007 6:59:59 PM
    Standard Warranty Expired: A three-year warranty applies to conditions indicated by three red lights.

This is the info I get when I check online,mine ringed so I'm wondering am I still covered?

Yep - you're covered for the rrod until 11/23/2010. Mine was showing as expired in 2006 and came back today working again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭ronrar

I sent mine on Tuesday of last week and received my replacement today.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wong

docentore wrote: »
    ring them?

you got their number by any chance? the number they suggest I can't get through to...

And has anyone any stories to tell about doing this? :)

I also did this. It's the one that now has the 12v fan in it due to the RROD on this bloody one too. It's just pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

I dont have the rrod i have the e74 with lower right light flashing red, will warranty cover that? Even if its outside standard warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

When you send M$ your glorified paper weight do you send them the cables as well? Or just the system itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Just the paperweight i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭jasonbourme.cs

just the paperweight dont send the harddrive with it either :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

My machine got an E73 error yesterday - I managed to fix this temporarily by 'overheating' the unit until I got 2 red lights. It worked fine for about an hour, but then I started getting graphical glitches. Lo and behold, next time I powered up, I got the E74 error (yipee!). This one IS covered by MS under the same 3 year warranty as the RROD.

I registered my device online (https://service.xbox.com/), filled in the repair request (E74 explicitly mentioned) and now I'm just waiting for the email with the shipping documents. Relatively painless procedure, the last time I got RROD with a previous console I had to spend about 45 minutes talking to some Indian dude, spelling out email addresses, total nuisance :rolleyes:. The online method is far superior.

I also did this. It's the one that now has the 12v fan in it due to the RROD on this bloody one too. It's just pants.

We are all fools for Microsoft....I guess I'm just an xbox-er for life

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭quattro777

Turned on the xbox today to find all colours gone apart from red, green and black. I'm thinking display card or gpu?

It is about 18 months old.
    My original xbox had RROD and MS sent me back a new one. Will the extended warranty cover this? I have contacted MS and I'm waiting for a reply.

Advertisement