Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox 360 - 3 Red Lights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

ya, just now! Thanks for the advice and the video link :) I'm in two minds because I'm still in warranty. UPS/Xbox have already gotten back to me (collecting the Xbox 2m morning supposedly). Either way I definitely need to keep the procedure. I'll watch the vids again and decide.

Edit : Decided that since it's still in warranty i'll bite the bullet and have MicroSoft fix it. UPS came and collected it just now. Said it takes about a week, we'll see... If it breaks again i'll be out of warranty and will have to TCB. Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna save it to the HDD for when it happens :L

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Just got the red ring with E74 :(

Have a feeling I'm just outside the 3 years....d'oh :(

Had a look on youtube.

This video deals with E74
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVWmN7BTt2M

It sounds like the fix is a bit too easy. He said just repeat the end process if it E74's again. He said that he leaves the casing off because it E74's sometimes...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

mine has three red lights the other day and i was ****ting myself. I turned it off and then back on and it's okay now.

I think i was blessed.:D

Dude, that happened to me as well - LAST WEEK! RRoD, then fine for a day, then completely F'd! Your Xbox will break in the next day or so man, seriously. Others have had the same occurrence.

If it's not too late, leave your Xbox off. Either ring for repair already, or i'd also consider trading in your Xbox (lol).

I'm not a fan of GameStop, who rip you off with trade-ins, selling your items on for more, and making complete profit. Boo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I got my box back yesterday!

Its flying now, and its virtually silent now!

They replaced the motherboard, and the dvd drive. I reckon the mb was what i heard sizzle.

Still have to say, customer service was excellent, one phone call (well, one followed by a quick second one because i couldn't get it registered,) and picked up, fixed and delivered back in less than 3 weeks. Can't complain about that!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Dude, that happened to me as well - LAST WEEK! RRoD, then fine for a day, then completely F'd! Your Xbox will break in the next day or so man, seriously. Others have had the same occurrence

Not exactly true.
    My young lads 360 got the rrod on 2 occasions, the ould towel trick worked both times and its still going strong.
    The first RROD was over a year ago the second 2 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

celtic723 wrote: »
    mine has three red lights the other day and i was ****ting myself. I turned it off and then back on and it's okay now.

I think i was blessed.:D

Ring Microsoft and get a repair arranged, this will go again, so use the warrenty, when you ring them tell them that you have 3 red rings (even if its working ok at the moment as it will happen again) and when they ask you what color is on the powersupply light say green and ask them to email you out the labels, ring UPS when they arrive and arrange a day for pickup. It can take up to 48 hours to get the email out to you and check your junk mail folder as these emails can end up in there. Don't bother with any of the self repairs, I tried that on my first Xbox xclamp replacement, overheating etc and would work for a while and then back to 3RROD, so use the M$ warrenty for this and you should either get a totally new console or they will swap out the Motherboard and DVD drive on your unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Gary Norris

How much does it cost if the xbox is out of warranty?

That's fantastic, Dcully. You're the first guy I've ever heard that the towel trick worked (still) and not just a quick fix. Every other time I've heard it revives your Xbox for a short while before irreversibly damaging it. I hope others have the excellent fortune you've had!

Gary Norris, I had a look on the internet for you. People quote £60, £80, £74, 105 euros, 120 euros.....no help! Best bet is to just ring up 1800509186 and ask them. It's the microsoft help centre who'll try bounce you to the internet, but they should be able to quote them if you ask a few times....

Click here to sign up to MS to get them to fix it : http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/nxe/registerdevice.aspx?step=repair

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 kevin1999

i have had this problem for the past month first xbox sent me a new power supply for free and it worked for a month ,only today the red lights were back on so i rang the free phone number and the operator said he would have a courier pick up the console and if they cant fix it they will replace i foc.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

oh oh. For the first time I got the xbox freezing on any game I tried last night. At first I thought it may have been dust or a scratch on a disk but after putting several games in the drive and many restarts it wasn't doing anything. It would freeze in game, in the dashboard, before dashboard even loaded. I have been getting an extra bit of noise from the xbox lately.

Is this "freezing" a prelude to the RROD?

I think so, man. I reckon it's just a matter of days before it Red Rings. If it's unplayable I'd register with Xbox.com and order a repair now. Worse comes to worse, your Xbox is fine and you cancel the repair. It won't come to that lol

Snake Plisken wrote what to do a few posts back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

Jaykhunter, you were right. I came home form work last night and quickly got the 3 RROD. What's the phone number for calling Microsoft about getting a repair?

What causes the RROD does anybody actually know?

Does playing it ''too much'' or leaving it on it's side cause this ''formality'' to occur.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Does playing it ''too much'' or leaving it on it's side cause this ''formality'' to occur.

it was covered here sooo many times. Also google would be your best friend on this kind of questions ;P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,767 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

just freed the doctor on batman and low and behold, my second xbox got the ringypoos

blasted red lights - damn you!:mad:

oh and I'm sick too been out of work all week, what next? Cyprus beats Ireland?

GPU comes loose, from the motherboard heating up. Basically the heat sink(s) are too small for the console

sorry to hear that mate and thanks for the reply regarding the cause of it. I guess you'll have to send it away AGAIN.... On the plus side Cyprus won't beat Ireland.:pac::pac:

sorry to hear that mate and thanks for the reply regarding the cause of it. I guess you'll have to send it away AGAIN.... On the plus side Cyprus won't beat Ireland.:pac::pac:

Its working again, strange...fingers crossed

• Advertisement

Trilla it'll break in about a day. Seriously. Get on to UPS already....

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭niallith

i just joined the RROD club today :( rang game and they said theyl replace for me , so will hope that nxt one lasts longer than 8 days ...

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Trilla it'll break in about a day. Seriously. Get on to UPS already....

I've had 3 occurances of this

Back in late 2007, my first xbox lasted 6 or 7 months. In the middle of Tiger Woods 07, and bam! No joy on getting it back. Dead as a doornail. Sent it away. Came back with a new xbox after 3 or 4 weeks.

Didnt have that one two months or so and it happened again. So I rang them up and they sent me out a free game (Viva Pinata) and a controller along with the labels. Bizzare thing was two days later it worked again, I moved it into another room, blaming the leccy in the room I had it in. The lads in the gaff had probs with iron earlier on in the week in the same room. Thank God I got out of that house.

So since then its been working perfectly, until I was in the middle of batman last Friday. Haven't come across it since however. Strange! Nearly cleared COD4 in the mean time, along with a bit of the Orange Box and SF Hyper Fighting....

Maybe its too close to my TV, my room is on the small side so could be just a liccle too hot?

If you're worried about the electricity then (I'm not going to suggest an electrician, that's too expensive) just get one of those fancy plug blocks that has a fuse in it. So if that could be a problem it wouldn't be.

Maybe have your Xbox near a window? Or keep the window open when playing? Really, check if you get the Jasper model, it's supposed to be much more reliable. Something on the back ends in 12A instead of 14A, i think. I'll try to find where i read that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

I must have missed a memo.

Got an Error 74 about 4 months ago, rang MS and was quoted 80 quid, my console is almost 4 years old. I never bothered to get it fixed that time but rang them up again last week and now they're going to do it for free.

What's that all about?

m83 wrote: »
    I must have missed a memo.

Got an Error 74 about 4 months ago, rang MS and was quoted 80 quid, my console is almost 4 years old. I never bothered to get it fixed that time but rang them up again last week and now they're going to do it for free.

What's that all about?

they love ya.

Got my Xbox back today! They gave me a one-month XBLGold card. So I registered with Xbox.com and filed my repair claim on a weekend, UPS picked it up Monday, and I got it back the friday week. I'm happy enough!

Weird having it back :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

It's only a matter of time until mine craps out. I've had mine since December 2006 and haven't had a single RROD related problem with it... >.<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

No red lights, but the ****ing thing just makes a weird sound and the video and sound goes off after a few minutes of play. 5th time this xbox has crapped out on me, I'm half tempted just to bin it and buy a PS3 instead :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭niallith

well i just got another rrod today.... i got one after 8 days after buying a preowned one(bad idea) so brought it back to gamer and they gave me a new one which has now done the same after about two weeks, so ill probably return it again tomorrow for a new one, does anyone know if theres a limit to how many times you can return RROD xboxs before they wont let you or do they have to replace it for me as often as needed? ill probably keep doing this until i can save up and trade it in and just buy a brand new one

Advertisement