Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox 360 - 3 Red Lights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

niallith wrote: »
    well i just got another rrod today.... i got one after 8 days after buying a preowned one(bad idea) so brought it back to gamer and they gave me a new one which has now done the same after about two weeks, so ill probably return it again tomorrow for a new one, does anyone know if theres a limit to how many times you can return RROD xboxs before they wont let you or do they have to replace it for me as often as needed? ill probably keep doing this until i can save up and trade it in and just buy a brand new one

If it happens within the first month the shop should replace it there for you after that you'll have to go via Microsoft, if you have a pre-owned one you'll have to send a copy of your receipt to Micorosoft and they will change ownership to your name and take back the console, you have 3 years from date of purchase so you should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I got my Xbox back on Friday afternoon, so it took bang on 11 days from UPS taking to delivering it. Overall i'm happy with it, but i still have the same damn Xbox....wanted an entirely new one :( Got a month of XBL free, which is nice...i'd've rathered some XB Points for some Queero DLC instead ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Can anyone help I'm following a guide to fix my 360 and I'm down to the point where I'm replacing the xclamp but my gut is telling me the screw sizes they mention are probably americano ;) does anyone know what size I should get or am I as well bringing the heat sink to Woodies and asking them?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 lifestyle

hi i was just wondering if anyone sent back their power supply n adaptor for their xbox?the power supply light stayed orange on mine so the support team said to send it back/ just wondering do you think that will sort out the problem or will i need to send back the console?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Hyndsy85

Sent my xbox off on monday and now i play the waiting game. Its not as much fun though of actually playing games :D

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Just got the RROD today.
    Have the mail with UPS labels, just wondering how people packaged their xbox for sending. I'm afraid of it getting damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Just got the RROD today.
    Have the mail with UPS labels, just wondering how people packaged their xbox for sending. I'm afraid of it getting damaged.

I put mine in a box with a load of newspapers above and below it.

TBH, i wouldn't worry too much about damaging it, you're sending it back for repair afterall and it'll be repackaged before being shipped back to you.

I sent mine off last Friday week - it's due back to me on Wedneday, 12 days isn't bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭BrokenSpiral

I sent mine back last year for a broken drive and I wrapped it in bubblewrap and then found a cardboard box that was quite a snug fit on it, making sure it was well protected. The UPS guy that came to collect it then took it from me, opened the door of the van and THREW it into the back of the van with a thump!! I'd say wrap it as well as you can, the warranty does not cover physical damage to the console although as I had informed xbox support about the oafish delivery guy they replaced the broken facia free also!

I just got a RROD today myself and my console was manufactured in July 2007 and luckily MS increased the warranty for RROD to 3 years which some people may not be aware of so make sure and check with MS before you try any of the DIY fixes people!!!

Oh yeah, and for god's sake don't bake your console!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

When I sent my Xbox off, I put it in some random cardboard box, and filled the rest of the box full of cardboard, on each side of the Xbox. I got it back 12 days later in a different box.

I know you can get shipping boxes in Easons. But any box with something inside it to safeguard the Xbox will be fine!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Cheers guys - I've seen how some courier guys throw the boxes around so want to ensure it reamins intact

• Advertisement

actually when you get back your consoles make sure to hang onto the box it came back in (Throw it in the attic) you never know when it will go faulty again and those boxes are well handy with foam supports etc, just make sure to tear off the old labels if needed again. As regards UPS throwing your Xbox around don't worry they Microsoft usually replace both the motherboard and DVD drive from them and a lot of the time you get a completely different one back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

GAHHH!! :mad: SHAGINFIGINMUDERFUOOKERS!!!!

My xbox just broke when I was on CoD4 :'(

And I'm pretty sure it's out of warranty for the RRoD...

GAHHH!! :mad: SHAGINFIGINMUDERFUOOKERS!!!!

My xbox just broke when I was on CoD4 :'(

And I'm pretty sure it's out of warranty for the RRoD...

Nope just ring them and give them the serial number tell them the Green Light is on power supply 3 Red Rings and they will send you out the UPS labels, you should have it back for Modern Warfare 2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

Nope just ring them and give them the serial number tell them the Green Light is on power supply 3 Red Rings and they will send you out the UPS labels, you should have it back for Modern Warfare 2 :)
    Ah cool, wake up a bit early before I go to college and give them a ring so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

5 minutes after getting ODST my xbox hasstarted freezing up. Normally i wouldnt be too put out, but I was really waiting to play this.

As i said, its just freezing up at the moment, even without a game in on the dashboard (takes between 20 seconds and 2 minutes to crash), so am i right in saying I have to do something crazy now like wrap it in a towel to force it to red ring before i can get it repaired?

5 minutes after getting ODST my xbox hasstarted freezing up. Normally i wouldnt be too put out, but I was really waiting to play this.

As i said, its just freezing up at the moment, even without a game in on the dashboard (takes between 20 seconds and 2 minutes to crash), so am i right in saying I have to do something crazy now like wrap it in a towel to force it to red ring before i can get it repaired?

Nope just ring them tell them you have 3 red rings and that the green light is on the power brick, (ok it's a small lie, but you will have the red rings within a matter of days) get the labels and send it back, I've done a couple for friends and family with this issue and sent it back without issue. Don't do the towel trick as this could show up with other damaged components on the board which would raise M$ suspicions and lead to them charging you for the repair. If you have any other questions let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I repaired my console today using the x-clamp fix. Nothing so rewarding/exciting as turning it on, waiting, waiting and then seeing that green circle light up after doing the repair. Gonna flash the drive while I have it open as it's an old machine and I bought a second hand elite anyway when it died!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Hyndsy85

Wahey i got my xbox back today. Sent it away 3 pm monday the 13th of september and gat it back today at 9:45 am. quick turnaround

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

I bought my 360 in Germany but now I'm Australia and the RROD has appeared. Should I still deal with MS Germany or is there a chance MS Australia will deal with me?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Just got another RROD. Think this is my third console to die. Was working fine for months. Rarely ever froze. Today I got ODST, put it in and it froze 3 times on the first level then got RROD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭X_X

I didn't get RROD yet and I have had my xbox for nearly 2 years now... so fingers crossed it won't happen to me...

But it is having trouble in reading certain discs though... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Just got my RROD in time for fifa 10. Is repair free or what? I have the xbox maybe 2 years...

I don't know I think that it tells you on their website when you log on... But if you have the guarantee then perhaps it will tell you how long in there..:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Crap.Had my xbox 360 for years now with no problems and just got ODST.
    Popped it in and it started freezing, then dun dun dun the RRoD.
    Registered for repair but just wanted to ask if it turns out I have to pay does anyone know how much?

WOW it seems that ODST is the main reason for the RROD... lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Registered for repair but just wanted to ask if it turns out I have to pay does anyone know how much?

€70 if out of warrenty.

What's the date of manufacture, it should be on the back near the serial number, if it's 2006 you should be fine, if it's 2005 you might have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭mob

just got the E79 message and one flashing redlight thats the same thing isn't it?

edit:
    never mind turned it on and off again and hey presto RROD :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Just got the 3 RROD! Just picked up FIFA too what a load of cock, what makes it even worse is that its my brothers xbox and I know he wont be paying for it.

Anyone know anybody in Dublin city centre that repairs these?

Pm me with details please.

thanks.

• Advertisement

shoutman wrote: »
    Just got the 3 RROD! Just picked up FIFA too what a load of cock, what makes it even worse is that its my brothers xbox and I know he wont be paying for it.

Anyone know anybody in Dublin city centre that repairs these?

Pm me with details please.

thanks.

Go The Microsoft route, any other fix will only be a temp fix, downside is your without the console for 3-4 weeks if you go the Microsoft route, other option would be to buy an arcade send off the RROD to Microsoft to get fixed for free and when it comes back repaired sell it on or trade it in.

Advertisement