Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox 360 - 3 Red Lights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭quicklickpaddy

two things...

1) i bought an xbox second hand so im pretty sure the warranty is gone. if i try the towel trick and all that kinda stuff and it breaks again, long term can i still send it back to microsoft to get it fixed?

2) and if so how much will that cost me?

(i got it dirt, dirt cheap so i dont mind the fact that theres no warranty)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

two things...

1) i bought an xbox second hand so im pretty sure the warranty is gone. if i try the towel trick and all that kinda stuff and it breaks again, long term can i still send it back to microsoft to get it fixed?

2) and if so how much will that cost me?

(i got it dirt, dirt cheap so i dont mind the fact that theres no warranty)

Did you buy it from somewhere like Game or off a mate, is it working? someone mentions on a post above that its €70 for out of warrenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭quicklickpaddy

Did you buy it from somewhere like Game or off a mate, is it working? someone mentions on a post above that its €70 for out of warrenty.

i got it off adverts.ie ... so no paper work but not off a mate. nah it red ringed... so does that mean i can try the fix it myself methods and if it breaks again just pay the €70? cos its out of warranty anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

i got it off adverts.ie ... so no paper work but not off a mate. nah it red ringed... so does that mean i can try the fix it myself methods and if it breaks again just pay the €70? cos its out of warranty anyways
    You should try the towel trick and see if it works. Plenty of videos on youtube about it. You've nothing to lose. If it works there's €70 you save.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

or you could just try and see if it registers under your windows live i.d... and it still might be in warranty for the RRoD which is a 3 year warranty.... If it never had the RRoD before then it might not be registered ;)

• Advertisement

Maybe the machine was never registered with MS, if you ring them give them the serial number and your name and address, if it hasn't been registered they will register it under your name, if it was already registered then you could message or email the guy you bought it off and get his name and details and unregister it from his name and re-register it under your name, I know it's a pain, but don't bother doing the towel trick it might work for a while but you'll overheat other components in it as well, btw if you pull off the face plate is the silver sticker still intact?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Bruce Buffer

I printed out my UPS label.

I went the online route and set up a collection for tomorrow.

Will UPS know that Microsoft is paying for the collection or will I have to say it to the chap when he comes to pick it up??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

I printed out my UPS label.

I went the online route and set up a collection for tomorrow.

Will UPS know that Microsoft is paying for the collection or will I have to say it to the chap when he comes to pick it up??
    they will know it will take around 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

How long does it take to get the labels??? I thought it would have been instant . . . . .

How do you go down the UPS route??? I never got the choice I don't think.

YourName wrote: »
    How long does it take to get the labels??? I thought it would have been instant . . . . .

How do you go down the UPS route??? I never got the choice I don't think.
    you print them off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

I got an xbox back today.... not my xbox... a different one... doesn't have an HDMI input so I'm guessing it's still an older model just refurbished, the date on the back said it was made in 2009... would that just be the date it was refurbished?

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭hitman42

hi guys

my xbox died 2 years ago had it fixed by xbox 2 times now and last time was a year or so ago, and its dead again. i tried the towel trick work for about 2days then went dead again, they i moved to changing the heat sync and stuff but only short joy. Now i am faced with a broken xbox should just sell it for parts and buy a new xbox or try to get it fixed by Microsoft? any idea's welcome lol

hitman42 wrote: »
    hi guys

my xbox died 2 years ago had it fixed by xbox 2 times now and last time was a year or so ago, and its dead again. i tried the towel trick work for about 2days then went dead again, they i moved to changing the heat sync and stuff but only short joy. Now i am faced with a broken xbox should just sell it for parts and buy a new xbox or try to get it fixed by Microsoft? any idea's welcome lol
    if the you opened it and the sticker is split your warranty is void

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Pretty impressed with the repair service. My xbox was picked up on the 30th of September and it arrived back today. Less than two weeks in total :) Lets just hope it actually works when I plug it in after work :P

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭X_X

Ah I'm sure it will....

do they try and repair them or do they just send new consoles out? because when i got mine back they said in the letter that i got an new xbox and that they have registered the serel no

do they try and repair them or do they just send new consoles out? because when i got mine back they said in the letter that i got an new xbox and that they have registered the serel no

Depends really you were lucky in that you got a new one, if you check the manufacture date on the back you'll see it's from this year, I think it's down to how much of a backlog they have in repairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

Holy bejesus UPS are fast... I put in a pick up request at 15:26.. and the door bell rings at 15:40.. Less than 15 mins to pick up pile of junk!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

not only we mortals are suffering from RROD but also big shops like HMV sometimes have it

IMAGE_189.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Got RROD 3 times, MS were so slow in teturning the 3rd one i bought a 2nd hand Premium from Game and warranty for 3 years for 100€. Can't argue with that. It breaks again i walk into the store and replace no fuss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Jobs

Isn’t it a bit illegal the way Microsoft web site works when you are requesting a fix for the console that is out of warranty?

Fist they ask you your credit card details and all your personal address data – and then they tell you how much will it cost you? Would you accept such a process in the shop? Where there are no prices for products, and when you bring them to the cashier, she takes your card first, makes you fill the form with all your personal data, and only then tells you the price?

This is what the Out Of Warranty repair costs:

Product Quantity Price (EUR) Total

Xbox 360 Console Service - Out Of Warranty
    SKU Number 204

1 €75.00 €75.00

Product prices shown do not include VAT. VAT is charged based on the VAT Rate of the country to which the product ships Subtotal €75.00

VAT @ 19.00% €14.25

Order Total €89.25

Jobs wrote: »
    This is what the Out Of Warranty repair costs:

Product Quantity Price (EUR) Total

Xbox 360 Console Service - Out Of Warranty
    SKU Number 204

1 €75.00 €75.00

Product prices shown do not include VAT. VAT is charged based on the VAT Rate of the country to which the product ships Subtotal €75.00

VAT @ 19.00% €14.25

Order Total €89.25

Does that price include the UPS shipping cost?

To be honest - I do not know. Actually it does not say anywhere on the site during the ordering process.

But I would guess so - since it would be illegal to charge anything that is not cleary displayed. I mean people would request chargebacks on their credit card payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Right it looks like my 2nd xbox ( one sent back to me) is on its way out. Beginning to freeze and got a blue grainy fuzz last weekend.

What i want to know though is how long is the warranty on a fixed/returned xbox? Also am I entitled to any free stuff as I think I read before that if it happens twice they give ya free games or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Just got the RROD :( bought it christmas two years ago.

Disappointed because i treated it like a child! Good airflow, vertical on a wooden floor away from all other heat sources (no underfloor) and im a VERY LIGHT user of the console (only user!)

Just registered the console with xbox support and requested the labels.

Took the disc out and hard drive, is there anything else i need to know??

Thanks for any assistance!

Just got the RROD :( bought it christmas two years ago.

Disappointed because i treated it like a child! Good airflow, vertical on a wooden floor away from all other heat sources (no underfloor) and im a VERY LIGHT user of the console (only user!)

Just registered the console with xbox support and requested the labels.

Took the disc out and hard drive, is there anything else i need to know??

Thanks for any assistance!

Dont send it off in the retail box, you won't get it back, get another cardboard box that it will fit into and wrap it in bubblewrap or crumpled up newspapers to keep it from getting bashed about in transit, did you ask them to email the labels? If so make sure you get them and if you don't within 48 hours give them a call, check your junk/spam mail folders sometimes they go straight into them for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭danois

My son is looking for the xbox 360 elite for xmas and after reading this thread I'm thinking maybe I'm better getting him a PS3 are the newer models more reliable as in if I buy one now presumably it will be a fairly new model would there be less chance of it getting the rrod?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

danois wrote: »
    My son is looking for the xbox 360 elite for xmas and after reading this thread I'm thinking maybe I'm better getting him a PS3 are the newer models more reliable as in if I buy one now presumably it will be a fairly new model would there be less chance of it getting the rrod?

Get the xbox. New models are more reliable and you still have 3 years warranty on the rrod. And MS is very good and quick in fixing in case of breakdown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭danois

Thanks for that

Advertisement