Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox 360 - 3 Red Lights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

quinnd6 wrote: »
    Im afraid its after just happening me today.

It stopped and freezed twice on st patricks day.
    It froze the first time and I turned it off.
    Then I turned it on later and it froze again on fifa 08 menu.
    I just turned it off then plugged it out and left it.
    I turned it on today and got the red ring of death.

SO when I send it off should I leave the hard drive on it?

I got the premium version which came with the hard drive and no cover for the top of it.

Take the HD off mate and also make sure there is no game in the drive.
    Basically just send the console back. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

at least brand new consoles last at least a year!!

you should post that in the humor forum :D

unfortunately there are no guaranties even with a brand new 360 , my third 360 that i bought on halo 3 launch day is going back to hmv this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

Im on hold right now demanding a new console. what a joke - they even said "we can offer you a different console but cant guarantee it will be brand new"

i.e. we have a boat load of returned consoles that we performed hack repair jobs on that might last 3 weeks might last a few months. what a wind up. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

00sully wrote: »
    Im on hold right now demanding a new console. what a joke - they even said "we can offer you a different console but cant guarantee it will be brand new"

i.e. we have a boat load of returned consoles that we performed hack repair jobs on that might last 3 weeks might last a few months. what a wind up. :rolleyes:

Let us know how you get on mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Same happened me. He said he couldn't promise a brand new console, but he will ensure my old one does not end up back in my house and offered me free game and accessories. :rolleyes:

TBH, if the "refurb" I get back dies or even freezes for more than a second, I am ringing UPS to pick me up, care of microsoft, to ship ME to Germany so I can punch up some retarded repair men, and take me a brand spanky new elite.

• Advertisement

I am ringing UPS to pick me up, care of microsoft, to ship ME to Germany so I can punch up some retarded repair men, and take me a brand spanky new elite.
    :D

well I got put on hold a couple of times while the lad (gotta feel sorry for these MS lads in support) talked to a supervisor. They wouldn't put me on.

I quoted this thread when the refurb was mentioned - why should I take a refurb unit? obviously they have those cuz they sent out NEW ones to other people!?

anyway, I am due a call back to let me know if they can give me a new console. If they cant im off to court!! luckily I work with some legal eagles :) its a shoe in! they can refund all my games n' accessories too since they'll be worthless

violence wont solve this one grumpy! :D

00sully wrote: »

violence wont solve this one grumpy! :D

Oh we'll see sully old friend, we'll see.........

EDIT: How long should a ****ing email take? He said in the next 48 hours (UPS label), but I dont wanna leave for work till I print it off, and therefore I am not only without a working xbox, I am loosing money because of my lack of patience (or the fact I have it? confused myself it seems...)

well I just received a phone call 2 seconds ago after being told It would be between 48 & 72 hours. They also said they wont email the labels but will courrier out a box either tomorrow or friday (good friday??) and are issuing me a brand new 360.

Result I guess, we'll see firstly how long this takes and secondly how long this new 360 lasts!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Got the red rings of death about 10 days ago, wasn't really sure how to contact MS until I saw this topic. I lost my receipt....will Microsoft still repair it for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Dean820 wrote: »
    Got the red rings of death about 10 days ago, wasn't really sure how to contact MS until I saw this topic. I lost my receipt....will Microsoft still repair it for me?

Check the back of your xbox 360, and take down the serial number. No receipt needed with microsoft

Mine died today. Yaaay

Rang up and getting it fixed but after reading all the people here who still had a problem after it returned, it's made me quite depressed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Got my empty box delivered today, and was talking to the UPS courier while I was packing it. Knew exactly what I was putting in the box ("Got a broken Xbox?") and when I asked him did he get many, I was rather shocked when he said he had collected between two and three thousand in the Bray area alone over the last year. Don't know if that was exaggerated or not but still... shameful stuff!

By the way, in my haste to pack it up, I forgot to put in the letter that came in the box that asked to tick the necessary box... I assume Ill be ok without it, since there was nothing like that the first two times when I sent it off in pre-prepared boxes? Sent off my power supply as well, for good measure ;)
    So hopefully I'll get a 'new' everything in two weeks, fingers crossed. (also due a free game and accessory: although the choices are really crappy: probably just take Viva Pinata or something).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

also due a free game and accessory: although the choices are really crappy: probably just take Viva Pinata or something

What's all this about a free game and accessory?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

bigkev49 wrote: »
    What's all this about a free game and accessory?

Basically a token gesture they give once you have had more than one or two repairs. Get to choose from a list of stuff e.g. Gears of War, Forza 2, Crackdown Viva Pinata, Wireless Controller, memory stick etc...

And did you ask for this or did they offer it?

Nah they offered it after my fifth prolonged session listening to their bland hold music and indecipherably low-volumned hold message about something.

if (phone=customer yells a little){

showMessageDialog(null,"Want free stuff?","Alert")
    }

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭sinlessgunner

Lads I'm telling you theres a lad in Bray who fixes this problem. Done mine in a week and I've had no problems since. He showed me exactly how it was fixed and what the problem was plus a 3 month guarantee for my trouble. He's very good and he told me that he only has a 5% return rate. He also increased the power of my fans (on request) so it stays much cooler although its a bit noisier but I can live with that no problem. Google Console Repair Ireland. It's worth the 50 quid because he actually fixes them not like MS who do a half arsed job at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Got my empty box delivered today, and was talking to the UPS courier while I was packing it. Knew exactly what I was putting in the box ("Got a broken Xbox?") and when I asked him did he get many, I was rather shocked when he said he had collected between two and three thousand in the Bray area alone over the last year. Don't know if that was exaggerated or not but still... shameful stuff!

By the way, in my haste to pack it up, I forgot to put in the letter that came in the box that asked to tick the necessary box... I assume Ill be ok without it, since there was nothing like that the first two times when I sent it off in pre-prepared boxes? Sent off my power supply as well, for good measure ;)
    So hopefully I'll get a 'new' everything in two weeks, fingers crossed. (also due a free game and accessory: although the choices are really crappy: probably just take Viva Pinata or something).

I just got my labels and stuff via email and i'll ring UPS tomorrow. My question is will they provide a box(like you indicated) to throw the xbox into?

I would find it awkward having to package it myself : \

Unearthly wrote: »
    I just got my labels and stuff via email and i'll ring UPS tomorrow. My question is will they provide a box(like you indicated) to throw the xbox into?

I would find it awkward having to package it myself : \

First two times I had to pack it myself, only sent me a box on the third repair. Think most people just pack them myself from what Ive heard - seems rare that they actually send a box. If they sent you the labels, will probably have to do it yourself.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

my original launch 360 packed it in ages ago, no RRD but the cd tray jams constantly, games freeze often fail to boot up and I get a clicking noise which scratchs the back of the cd. I was thinking about buying a 360 arcade model so that I could stick my old hd into it and have a brand new 360 that works but after reading this thread its so depressing. There seems to be an alarming amount of failures time and time again regardless of weather the console was repaired or how recent a new 360 was bought.

I was gonna buy that new 360 arcade today but after reading this thread i feel im wasting my time that my new 360 will be lucky to last a year before dying. So i think im just gonna go and buy a ps3 instead.

its such a shame coz the 360 is a great console but unfortunately it has the stability of a 5 year old PC. I really think MS are gonna lose the war because of this by the end of this year. The instability problems is starting to hurt their sales already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

are the new machines just as bad??

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭synacron trion

Literally just got the RROD on my console. It's been less than a year since I bought it so do ye think Gamestop will take it back and if I pay the difference I could get an elite? Has anyone else done this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭barry181091

Mine just RRoD on me now too :(

I have one of the old Cores with no HDMI, Do you think they will ship me back a new version one with the HDMI port ? HAs this happend to anyone. I already had my console repaired a while back and they sent me a new one, they didnt fix it.

Barry.

Do you have to pay UPS or does microsoft do that for you??

Microsoft pay for it.

Anyone have anymore info on this free game/ peripheral if it's your second repair?

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

Just got the red ring this evening :/
    3 crashes while playing PES 2008 then while streaming an xvid the same crash and RRoD on next boot.
    Arranged a repair via the print your own label option.

One question tho.
    Mine is an Xbox 360 Elite, ie. the black ones, I thought they were newer and a lot less susceptible to it happening? I'm pretty surprised :( Was perfectly well vented, standing upright, and been working tip top for months.

List of free game / accessories on offer below. Isn't a great choice: old games and very 'meh' acessories. Must phone them up and get mine actually. Was meant to one day but my A4 page with the call reference numbers has been misplaced in the piles of printed pages around the computer area.
    Wireless Controller
    Wired Headset
    Play and Charge Kit
    64 MB Memory Unit

Crackdown
    Gears of War
    Forza 2
    Project Gotham Racing 3
    Perfect Dark Zero
    Viva Piniata
    Viva Piniata Party Animals

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Ronan

Microsoft pay for it.

Anyone have anymore info on this free game/ peripheral if it's your second repair?

Complain like crazy and try to speak to a manager. I did and got a new console not a refurb, 3 games a wireless controller and 1 years xbox live.
    Took about 6 weeks of solid annoying them mind.

I just rang there. I asked them to send the courier out with the shiping labels! He said the courier would be out within 5 working days. How long does it take usually for the courier to pick it up???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 duff365

This is very depressing. I got the red rings and sent it away and it is working fine ( for now ),but microsoft obviously can't repair this problem properly so it's only a matter of time before i will be sending it away again.

One thing i don't understand. when they were first released they have this problem so they repair and send back and these xboxes continue to have problems but how can they still be making faulty units NOW with the same problem. Is there not some guy who works for Bill that can just say, "if we stick this wire here and that plug there we won't have any more red rings"

Advertisement