Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox 360 - 3 Red Lights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

ya but that basicaly makes up fr the could be three week turnaround on your console.. took me two... fast and got a new console to boot howeveer no hdmi port? and its a jasper? harsh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Why would you get something you didn't pay for? I'm not surprised my return (and even my other return that's coming) won't have a HDMI port

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

5th one to go ha may just buy an elite now sick of gettin new ones and them dying after 6 months:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Got my xbox back this morning :D

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Got my xbox back this morning :D

Nice! Refurb or repair?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

just got mine sent off today with UPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

feck it, UPS were not able to make it to me today.nice one Damo, hope it was a new replacement!

Think its a refurb
    I couldnt tell the difference :P
    But it has repair date instead of serial number, either that or i didnt see serial number :P

get the serial number off your old xbox from your a/c on xbox.com and compare it to the one you have right now. any hdmi port or is Touchingvirus sadly right?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I got mine back yesterday as well. New machine, with the old hard drive so i've not lost anything. 2 week turnaround, and a new console? Pretty good going MS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Tech Overhaul

My xbox elite just died with the 3 red lights! It was one of the early elites. Manufactured in '07. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Mods I've posted this also in consumer issues as i'm not sure which would give me better advice.

I bought an xbox 360 just over three years ago. Several months later the console got the famous Red Ring of Death. I phoned MS and they repaired it free of charge. Not long after the public got wind of the reliability issues with the console and the warranty was increased to 3 years for the RROD fault.

January 2009 and my console decides to die again and is once again repaired free of charge by MS.

Cut to two days later and my xbox is misbehaving once more - Not RROD, probably the RF chip a sthe console cannot sync with controllers.

I phoned MS and was told that the console was now out of warranty and I'd have to pay to have it repaired. I'm curious, would I have a case in the small claims court given the fact that this is a console that has been repaired twice and is still malfunctioning?

Mods I've posted this also in consumer issues as i'm not sure which would give me better advice.

I bought an xbox 360 just over three years ago. Several months later the console got the famous Red Ring of Death. I phoned MS and they repaired it free of charge. Not long after the public got wind of the reliability issues with the console and the warranty was increased to 3 years for the RROD fault.

January 2009 and my console decides to die again and is once again repaired free of charge by MS.

Cut to two days later and my xbox is misbehaving once more - Not RROD, probably the RF chip a sthe console cannot sync with controllers.

I phoned MS and was told that the console was now out of warranty and I'd have to pay to have it repaired. I'm curious, would I have a case in the small claims court given the fact that this is a console that has been repaired twice and is still malfunctioning?

You may have a claim considering the repair offered the first time around was not permanent - it's required to be permanent under consumer law. Usual MS policy from what I read is repair, and if it fails again, a refurb/replacement.

The RF board on the console is over 3 years old and is out of warranty. It isn't covered under the extended warranty. It hasn't failed before and wasn't replaced.

It's a bit like me getting a new exhaust fitted on my car and then having a problem with the brakes, it's not the mechanic's fault and they're under no obligation to fix the brakes for free - two unrelated issues.

More advice would be gotten in the Consumer Issues forum so I'm unsure why you crossposted to here.

By the way if it is the RF board you can get replacements, though fitting one may void your warranty :)

kinda have to agree with TouchingVirus, you are just very unlucky! maybe plead your case again over the phones and tell them why are you having another problem, this shouldnt be happening, ill buy a ps3, whatever. one last fight in hope of another repair!

on another topic, my xbox is finally off to germany, ups didnt even come to my place, had to drop it off in a motor factor store in Bantry in order for the driver to collect the thing. fingers crossed i get away with it and get me a refurb. sad to say that ill consider a PS3 if they dont even though LIVE is very good. come on M$, you got loads to go around!!

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

My xbox elite just died with the 3 red lights! It was one of the early elites. Manufactured in '07. :(

http://www.consolerepairs.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_70&products_id=195

Think they were looking for €80 last time I asked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 padraig61091

ok best solution to faulty xbox is get a ps3

ok best solution to faulty xbox is get a ps3

feck off, wrong place!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Tech Overhaul

tombull82 wrote: »

Thanks but the Extended Microsoft warranty is Free ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Got my xbox back today, it's defo not my old one but its new and shiny. No HDMI port though, now for some ass kicking on MW2

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭groomek

how long did it take for ur xbox to get back to u.mine got collected by ups today

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

I sent it on the 29th of Dec, got it back this morning. Though I'm sure UPS were closed new years eve/day so that added to it

I sent another one of mine back last week, would have been picked up on Wednesday (6th) around 11am. I got the arrival notice email (arrived at the center) on Monday (11th).

I just checked there a minute ago to see it has been replaced with a new/refurbished console because there's a different serial number - the one I sent started with 50 and was from April 2006, and the new one is 91 and is "in warranty" so it's a new/refurb.

I suspect the console will be picked up this evening for shipping back to me because I have a UPS tracking number that says Billing Info Received aka Awaiting Pickup so it could be here by Friday or Monday at the latest - 9 working days turnaround or less, sweet!

cant argue with 9 days,id be more than happy if I got mine back in the same time frame

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Mine only got picked up by UPS today...

Cannot wait to get it back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

yeah mine arrived in germany to get fixed today. I had planned on playing it over xmas with the college break but thats gone, by the time i get it back Assasins Creed 2 will be the only game i want to finsh having the console fail half way though. Heck by the time i get it back i proably wont have time or any interest in playing it.

But yes cant fault MS for the turn around time as ive read on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Mine was out of warranty, and I got the kit from ebay for a fiver. Dismantling instructions on the net were quite comprehensive and the repair was less complicated then I thought it would be.

Changed the x clamps for bolts and washers last night, overheated it for 45 mins and the machine is up and running again..

Cheers for the advice TouchingVirus! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

How do I go about getting a replacement now that I got the lights?

What number do I ring?

What does it cost if you're over the 3 years warranty?

If you check the Microsoft website it will give you all the steps you need to take to get it fixed.i have no idea how much they will charge but there are a few threads on boards that people have repaired the xbox themselves

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    How do I go about getting a replacement now that I got the lights?

What number do I ring?

What does it cost if you're over the 3 years warranty?

Phone numbers are here: http://www.xbox.com/en-IE/support/contact/

You get 90 days warranty when it comes back to you.

You don't know if you've out of RROD warranty until you call Microsoft, so make sure to call them

I remember reading €90 somewhere...no sources for that though. Home fixes can cost between €5 to €15 for parts, or pay somebody €35-€50 to fix it for you. No fix is guaranteed to last forever, but some folks guarantee a fix to last say 30 days or your money back (they'll take their parts back :D)

• Advertisement

If microsoft give you a new xbox instead of a repair, does the new serial number have a new 3 year warranty ?

Advertisement