Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox 360 - 3 Red Lights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    If microsoft give you a new xbox instead of a repair, does the new serial number have a new 3 year warranty ?

It's most likely a refurb and not only is it covered by the 3 years RROD warranty but it comes with a 90 day standard all-in warranty.

My refurb will be here on Monday now that I've looked at the package progress, oh well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I got a full red ring that flashes. Does anyone know what that means?

Jay P wrote: »
    I got a full red ring that flashes. Does anyone know what that means?

It usually means your A/V cable isn't plugged in properly.

If it is then it could be a faulty cable or there could be something actually wrong with your xbox, try another cable first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

will M$ keep me updated on proceedings via e-mail? mines been sent a week tomorrow and im hoping ill get a quick turnaround so i can continue in the boards fifa league!

well just had a look on xbox.com and my xbox has made it to Germany. hopefully it will be swiftly replaced, fingers and toes crossed.

• Advertisement

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    will M$ keep me updated on proceedings via e-mail? mines been sent a week tomorrow and im hoping ill get a quick turnaround so i can continue in the boards fifa league!

Only emails I get are to say the xbox arrived in the repair centre. Never get a dispatch notice, I've yet to get one and the xbox just landed at my door :P

ya, i got no email at all, only found out on xbox.com that it made it to germany. how long was your turnaround TV and did you get a like for like refurb?

ya, i got no email at all, only found out on xbox.com that it made it to germany. how long was your turnaround TV and did you get a like for like refurb?

You should get an email around 8pm tonight saying it arrived. Turnaround from postage for me was 9 working days. From the day it arrived it was 5 working days - collections for delivery to customers are picked up in the evening and mine arrived last Monday, shipped on Wednesday evening, got here today around 11am. If I was in Dublin I might have got it on Friday. Either way it's pretty damn quick.

I got a like for like refurb in that I sent in an April '06 model with no HDMI and got a no HDMI model back just like the last time. This model is a Xenon, with Dash v7371 (important if you want to run XeLL), with a manufacture date of August 2009 and a lite-on drive presumably with 83450C firmware, or maybe 93450 (obviously the one I sent wasn't a lite-on :D). Got the usual 3 month warranty with it and the 1 month free Gold membership. This will be my legit box, I'm gonna hack the crap out of the one they sent me back in December, XeLL ftw! :P

so do they make new consoles without HDMIs just to prevent spoiling us too much? HDMI was in the 360 since August, wasnt it? really hope they dont look at mine too hard because if they do, im fecked! mmm, looks like im looking at either the end of this week or this time next week.

if it comes back, i might open it up. is the whole "take out x-clamps, changes bolts and washers" solution valid for my "no video" problem?

so do they make new consoles without HDMIs just to prevent spoiling us too much? HDMI was in the 360 since August, wasnt it? really hope they dont look at mine too hard because if they do, im fecked! mmm, looks like im looking at either the end of this week or this time next week.

Yes, they refurb consoles and give you the refurb with the same features. You've virtually no chance of sending a non-HDMI back and getting a HDMI one or sending back a Jasper and getting a Xenon replacement except by a mistake.
    if it comes back, i might open it up. is the whole "take out x-clamps, changes bolts and washers" solution valid for my "no video" problem?

I'm not sure of your specific problem, sorry dude I've not been following the thread on a case by case basis so I'm unsure of the story with your console. I do know it wasn't actually RROD'ing though, and the x-clamp replacement really only deals with RROD issues.

To verify if you need the fix, you could get your faulty console back, open it up and turn a giant fan on the case & board while you're playing. That'll keep it cool and if you've no problems where you usually have then it would point to a heat issue and you could go ahead with the fix.

• Advertisement

we'll come to that if need be. my problem was that sometimes it would turn on with audio but no video. the only way to get the video back was to overheat the console. that usually would work for a while before the video disappears again. sometimes it didnt even come back via overheating. good chance they'll open it up and see i've melted the fecking thing several times LOL!

looking good :):)

Device: Xbox360 Hardware
    Serial Number: 000000000000
    Warranty Status: In Warranty
    Repair Status: Device Shipped to Customer
    Carrier Name: UPS
    Carrier Tracking Number: 0000000000000000000

How long will this repair take and what is the status?
    Your repair order goes through four stages:

4-Device shipped to customer - Your console has been repaired or replaced. We are shipping it back to you.

actually, strictly speaking, it wasn't in warranty so good chance now that they are sending me a refurb without looking at what went wrong to my console.

looking good :):)

Device: Xbox360 Hardware
    Serial Number: 000000000000
    Warranty Status: In Warranty
    Repair Status: Device Shipped to Customer
    Carrier Name: UPS
    Carrier Tracking Number: 0000000000000000000

How long will this repair take and what is the status?
    Your repair order goes through four stages:

4-Device shipped to customer - Your console has been repaired or replaced. We are shipping it back to you.

actually, strictly speaking, it wasn't in warranty so good chance now that they are sending me a refurb without looking at what went wrong to my console.

You don't know if the serial number is different do you?

If they repaired your own console you get 90 days extended warranty, the only way you know you got a refurb is if the serial is different or when it arrives. It should be with you by Thursday :)

forgot to write it down although it looks the same, lol! think my console was over 2 years old from the manufacturing date so I should be able to tell if its a refurb when my package gets back. Ill post back thurs so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

i got mine back yesterday, wasnt expecting back that fast im not sure if its a new one or the same one but that was quick. I didnt expect it back that fast.

I must say Microsoft have made the return process very easy and quick.

Scram wrote: »
    i got mine back yesterday, wasnt expecting back that fast im not sure if its a new one or the same one but that was quick. I didnt expect it back that fast.

I must say Microsoft have made the return process very easy and quick.

If it is new it will have said so with a piece of paper "About your replacement console" telling you to sync the controller to the new xbox. It will also have a manufacturing date on the back from some time in 2009 and when you turn it on will ask you for the language and current location. It'll also have a piece of protective film over the Infrared receiver on the front fascia :)

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

If it is new it will have said so with a piece of paper "About your replacement console" telling you to sync the controller to the new xbox. It will also have a manufacturing date on the back from some time in 2009 and when you turn it on will ask you for the language and current location. It'll also have a piece of protective film over the Infrared receiver on the front fascia :)

Yeah i got the bit of paper about syncing the controller and the date on the back says 2010 or serviced or something.

Scram wrote: »
    Yeah i got the bit of paper about syncing the controller and the date on the back says 2010 or serviced or something.

If the date on the back is 2010 I highly doubt it's a refurb, I only just got mine back on Monday and it's date is August 2009. I got one sent back last month and it was July 2009 for that refurb :)

Either way, 90 days extended all-in warranty

Update-UPS are f-ing idiots! my xbox is in Cork City waiting to be delivered but they wont deliver it until the 28th because i live in a "remote" area. WTF? i dont live in Mali!

because im dying to get it back, i rang them offering to pick it up in Cork, they wont let me, there has to be 1 failed delivery attempt before a person can pick it up. thats absolutely mental, if i were to collect it, i'd be saving them time and money delivering the thing, not the other way round. UPS actually want to spend more money than they need to, not very smart in times where UPS are probably laying off people/cutting hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Roy Rogers

Hi,

Quick question here... apologies if it's been discussed before but search hasn't turned it up, and I don't fancy reading 94 pages to check!

I got the RROD during the week, and rang MS to arrange for the repair.

The guy on the phone told me my 360 had been bought in Aug 2006 and that it was outside the extended warranty period. That's all well and good, except I bought it in 2007.

I'm 100% certain of this, as I bought it shortly after I moved to Galway, which was the summer of 2007.

Having looked through my stuff, I definitely no longer have the receipt, so proving it that way is out the window.

One thing I thought of after the call was that the 360 was the last in stock the day I bought it -- the sales assistant in HMV asked me if it was alright that the 360 had been taken out of the box, and the empty box used as a display unit on the shop floor. I'm just wondering if it might have been struck from the stock roll and accidentally registered as 'sold' with Microsoft whenever this happened?

Has anyone else encountered this problem, and is there any way of proving to MS that I'm still inside the warranty period?

(This would happen the week before Mass Effect 2!)

• Advertisement

the receipt was your big proving point I'd imagine. I might be worth going through the online process and sending it for repair anyway. Leave a note with it maybe explaining your situation. i didnt even have RROD and it seems a refurb is coming back to me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Just checked the staus of my repair on the xbox website there. It has left Tamworth in the UK on the 23rd at 05:45.

So, should be back soon enough I'd imagine/hope.

got the xbox back today. its a new refurb, made 1-9-09 with 1 month free LIVE and fifa 10 that I left in my old xbox by mistake. this was me earlier:

got the xbox back today. its a new refurb, made 1-9-09 with 1 month free LIVE and fifa 10 that I left in my old xbox by mistake.

Nice, could you tell me the version of the dashboard on it? (Console Settings - System Info).
    Just checked the staus of my repair on the xbox website there. It has left Tamworth in the UK on the 23rd at 05:45.

So, should be back soon enough I'd imagine/hope.

Tomorrow or Wednesday :)

ill check it out, presume it doesnt matter that I updated the xbox already.

ill check it out, presume it doesnt matter that I updated the xbox already.

Afraid it does ;) I wanted to know what version of the dash was being shipped out with the units dated 1-9-09 - see if it's patched the JTAG hack ;)

antomorro-sei - could you get the dash version before you update? :D

ah ****e if i knew, i could have checked for you, soz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Xbox just RROD'd and I'm one month outside of the 3 year warranty since I bought my 360 back in December 2006. Based in Dublin, looking for a recommendation for somewhere that could get it fixed up nicely and that has a nice reputation. Help would be much appreciated. :D

Xbox just RROD'd and I'm one month outside of the 3 year warranty since I bought my 360 back in December 2006. Based in Dublin, looking for a recommendation for somewhere that could get it fixed up nicely and that has a nice reputation. Help would be much appreciated. :D

It has been said many times - You do not know if you are out of warranty until you call Microsoft or check on xbox.com. Never assume you are out of warranty unless you've deliberately done something to void it.

I had a September 2006 model replaced in December 2009 and an April 2006 model replaced this month ...both are clearly over their "3 years".

Call or check on xbox live to make sure you are out of warranty - then come back to us ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Right so I just brought my xbox up to college and was palying it and all of a sudden the screen froze and the xbox was unusable. Had to turn it off. I did and turned it back on and same problem. The screen image goes like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTLVi-uiCAE

I dont get the 3 red lights all the time yet but have got them once or twice randomly, but I always seem to get them now when I unplug the AV/HDMI cable of the xbox from the tv, but leave the other end in the xbox and turn the xbox on. I get the red lights like in the picture below.

Can someone else try that thing above and tell me if they get the 3 red lights or does anyone know if that if the 3 red lights happen when that is done, as I notice i have a red light in the top right quadrant unlike the picture here on Microsoft website: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907534

Any help on what this is, like do I need to be always getting the 3 red lights for the free repair or can be sometimes the 3 red lights? What if I send it to them and the 3 red lights dont come on, but the screen distorts, as it always does, will I get charged?

Advertisement