Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox 360 - 3 Red Lights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Four Red Rings means there is a problem with the A/V cable being unplugged or undetected.

The picture you have attached there looks like a RROD (3 red lights).

Usually when you get a RROD it is a permanent error that doesn't go away when you turn the console off & on again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Yeah I havnt got the 4 red lights once, but im wondering why I seem to mainly get the 3 red lights when the AV cable is not connected to the tv, but in the back xbox? Does that mean anything?

But the main point of the post is do I need to be always getting the 3 red lights for the free repair or can be sometimes the 3 red lights? What if I send it to them and the 3 red lights dont come on, but the screen distorts, as it always does now eventually, will I get charged for the repair or what? Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

It has been said many times - You do not know if you are out of warranty until you call Microsoft or check on xbox.com. Never assume you are out of warranty unless you've deliberately done something to void it.

I had a September 2006 model replaced in December 2009 and an April 2006 model replaced this month ...both are clearly over their "3 years".

Call or check on xbox live to make sure you are out of warranty - then come back to us ;)

Good man yourself Virus. I rang up MS there and they gave me the clear on my warranty, turns out it wasn't up after all! After a few painful minutes working with the foreign guy over the phone clearing up my address and stupidly lame email address they said to get everything set up as regards to the box and whatnot for UPS.

They said he'd be sending me a label. I assume I have to print that out and stick it on the box itself?

Good man yourself Virus. I rang up MS there and they gave me the clear on my warranty, turns out it wasn't up after all! After a few painful minutes working with the foreign guy over the phone clearing up my address and stupidly lame email address they said to get everything set up as regards to the box and whatnot for UPS.

They said he'd be sending me a label. I assume I have to print that out and stick it on the box itself?

See? And there was you going to settle for what is, by all accounts, a second-rate option :D

You should have been asked if you wanted the label by post or email - if you weren't then I'd assume you'll get it via email. It should be in your inbox by tomorrow, be sure to check your spam folder.

Print it out, attach it to the box you're sending your console in. Also, there'll be a tracking number on it like this: 1Zxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - note it down. Call up UPS (1890 99 55 00) and arrange a collection. After pickup you can track the progress of the parcel if you're so inclined. You will most likely get a mail the evening of the arrival to the repair center.

You can follow the 4 step progress here: https://service.xbox.com/servicehome.aspx?mkt=en-ie - You need to log in with the email address associated with your gamertag and password.

You can also find out when it's being shipped back to you an get the tracking number so you'll know when it's due to arrive back with you. You will probably get a new/refurbished console.

CyberWaste wrote: »
    Yeah I havnt got the 4 red lights once, but im wondering why I seem to mainly get the 3 red lights when the AV cable is not connected to the tv, but in the back xbox? Does that mean anything?

It could mean your cable is dodgy. I just unplugged the TV side of my AV cable and as expected my console didn't RROD, it powered up like it always does.

And considering this RROD goes away when your cable is plugged in on both ends and you're getting glitches I would suggest you try another cable before chancing your arm sending it back :)

As I said above, most RROD's aren't meant to go away :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

See? And there was you going to settle for what is, by all accounts, a second-rate option :D

You should have been asked if you wanted the label by post or email - if you weren't then I'd assume you'll get it via email. It should be in your inbox by tomorrow, be sure to check your spam folder.

Print it out, attach it to the box you're sending your console in. Also, there'll be a tracking number on it like this: 1Zxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - note it down. Call up UPS (1890 99 55 00) and arrange a collection. After pickup you can track the progress of the parcel if you're so inclined. You will most likely get a mail the evening of the arrival to the repair center.

You can follow the 4 step progress here: https://service.xbox.com/servicehome.aspx?mkt=en-ie - You need to log in with the email address associated with your gamertag and password.

You can also find out when it's being shipped back to you an get the tracking number so you'll know when it's due to arrive back with you. You will probably get a new/refurbished console.

Oh yeah, he did ask me how I wanted the label. I just said send it by email since it's more convenient!

Cheers man, you've been nothing but helpful. Always get the most help from a fellow boardsie. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

antomorro-sei - could you get the dash version before you update? :D

What do I have to do? Lol

It arrived into Dublin at 18:20 :D

What do I have to do? Lol

It arrived into Dublin at 18:20 :D

With you tomorrow so, guess UPS work on Sundays :D

All you need to do is go into Settings -> Console Settings -> System Information.

It should tell you the dashboard version: 2.0.xxxx - could you tell me the date on the back of your console and the XXXX in the version :)

With you tomorrow so, guess UPS work on Sundays :D

All you need to do is go into Settings -> Console Settings -> System Information.

It should tell you the dashboard version: 2.0.xxxx - could you tell me the date on the back of your console and the XXXX in the version :)

Just got my xbox back there earlier, but I was in college all day so wasn't able to play it til a while ago. It is the same console, not a new one, but in fairness they gave me one month free Gold Xbox Live :D

Dashboard Version is 2.0.8498.0

And, by date, do you mean the Service Date, cos thats 20-01-2010

Ohh, I thought you'd get a refurb. Obviously you've updated your dashboard since August to play the latest games :D

I'm trying to ascertain what date the refurbs were switched to the new Dash that stops the JTAG hack - thanks anyways, much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

got the 3 rings of death last night ups guy is picking it up 2mor when i asked when he be calling he said any time between 9 ta 5 in the eveining whats the story with this??

how long till i get it back as well

naughto wrote: »
    got the 3 rings of death last night ups guy is picking it up 2mor when i asked when he be calling he said any time between 9 ta 5 in the eveining whats the story with this??

how long till i get it back as well

The story is they'll pick it up between 9 and 5pm, they can't guarantee collection times.

Turnaround is 10 working days or less from my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

So, what can you do?

Receipt in hand, bring it back to the point of purchase. They should swap it over for a new machine.

I bought my Xbox in October 08 so presumably Xtra Vision won't swap the machine for me now? I just got RRoD.

I bought my Xbox in October 08 so presumably Xtra Vision won't swap the machine for me now? I just got RRoD.

After 1 year you would have serious trouble getting a shop to give you an exchange but hey, it's worth a try if you have the receipt.

Other than that, call Microsoft or log into xbox.com Support and request a repair.

Ohh, I thought you'd get a refurb. Obviously you've updated your dashboard since August to play the latest games :D

I'm trying to ascertain what date the refurbs were switched to the new Dash that stops the JTAG hack - thanks anyways, much appreciated.

Fair enough. Cheers for the help too. :D

Does anyone know how long it usually takes them to email the shipping labels?

Does anyone know how long it usually takes them to email the shipping labels?

Within the day, usually around 8 or 9pm is when I got mine. Check your spam, it ended up in there once ;)

do ups ship through the wekend??

do ups ship through the wekend??

Yes, no deliveries though.

ups fella just picked it up there a few mins ago did not seem to give a **** with the way he ****ed it in to the van the bollox

• Advertisement

Mine is getting picked up on Monday - to say I'm nervous about the whole thing going tits up is an understatement.

Mine is getting picked up on Monday - to say I'm nervous about the whole thing going tits up is an understatement.

Why? For all the crapness of the RROD, the repair process is as smooth as anything I've come across from other manufacturers

Why? For all the crapness of the RROD, the repair process is as smooth as anything I've come across from other manufacturers

That gives me more hope! I just hope it doesn't break when I get it back.

does the warrenty not be reset after u get it back

does the warrenty not be reset after u get it back

90 days full (all inclusive) warranty from date of repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

It has been said many times - You do not know if you are out of warranty until you call Microsoft or check on xbox.com. Never assume you are out of warranty unless you've deliberately done something to void it.

I had a September 2006 model replaced in December 2009 and an April 2006 model replaced this month ...both are clearly over their "3 years".

Call or check on xbox live to make sure you are out of warranty - then come back to us ;)

Hi touching Virus. You seem to be the man to speak to about all this RROD stuff. I just got the dreaded 3 red lighs and i have the reciept which is dated 3/12/2006. How do i check on xbox live to check my warranty?

Im currently a very xboxless sad panda :(

Hi touching Virus. You seem to be the man to speak to about all this RROD stuff. I just got the dreaded 3 red lighs and i have the reciept which is dated 3/12/2006. How do i check on xbox live to check my warranty?

Im currently a very xboxless sad panda :(

Hey discobeaker, I'd reckon you're still in warranty unless you write your dates the American way (mm/dd/yyyy) :D

Request a repair online via xbox.com, and if the "total" for the repair shows up as €0.00 then you're still under RROD warranty :)

Here is the online process... It appears long but most of this is hand holding stuff.

To do this:
    • Go here: https://service.xbox.com/servicehome.aspx?mkt=en-ie
    • Click "Sign In"
    • Sign in using the email and password associated with your xbox Live! GamerTag
    • Click "Register New Device" if you do not see your console serial number listed under the "Manage Registered Devices" section, or do not see that section at all. If you do, click the console serial number and skip the next 3 steps.
    • Ensure your Customer Information is valid. If not there is an Edit Customer Information link on the Register Console page (over on the right). Click it and edit your info - make sure your phone number and address is correct, this is the address UPS will pick the console up from and return it to.
    • Enter the console serial number on that Registration page. This is found on the back of the console by the barcode stick and Manufacture date (top right at the back of the console)
    • After registration you will be returned to the page you saw after you logged in. You will see your device under the Manage Hardware section like this - Xbox360 Hardware [SN: 9xx016xxxxx]. Click on that serial number.
    • You will see a device information page. It will say your device is out of warranty, this is the standard warranty. Click 'Request Repair' on the right hand side menu.
    • Follow on screen instructions. I would be more specific but both my registered consoles are currently in warranty and as such I don't get the same Request Repair page that you do. Just make sure to specify it is a '3 red lights' repair, and that the power brick light is green.
    • You should eventually get to an "invoice" page, it should be €0.00. If it isn't, just cancel and close the browser window and come back here on this thread for more help/other repair options. If it is, confirm your request.
    • You will get an email stating your request is being validated. After this happens you will get another email with UPS shipping labels to the email address you logged in with (check spam folder).
    • Print label, pack the console (and only the console, no hard drive, game CD, memory card, power brick, cables, nothing) into a box, stick the label on it, and call UPS [1890 99 55 00] to arrange collection. Before the parcel is taken, you can take the tracking number down (1Zxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on the label). You can use this to track progress to the repair centre.
    • Wait 10 days and your console should be back to you, repaired or replaced with a refurbished console. Enjoy 30 days Xbox Live Gold for free with a voucher code they give you and 90 days warranty :)

BTW, You can keep an eye on the 4 stages of repair process (Confirming repair, Waiting for device, device arrived, device returning) by logging in to xbox support and clicking on the device serial number. You may get an email saying when your device has arrived at the service center. When the process moves to "Shipped to Customer" you will see a tracking number, you can use this to track the console's return to you :)

Alternatively, call Microsoft and speak to a customer service representative. They are liable to get your name or address wrong though like they did with my first batch of return shipping labels, despite me spelling everything out with the NATO phonetic alphabet :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

Thank you so so much for all that Touching Virus. I just contacted the xbox people and i dont have to pay for the repair even though im slightly over the 3 years. Worst thing is that i had just got mass effect 2 and now i cant play it for 3 weeks :(

Thanks once again touching virus. You have been really really helpful.

Thank you so so much for all that Touching Virus. I just contacted the xbox people and i dont have to pay for the repair even though im slightly over the 3 years. Worst thing is that i had just got mass effect 2 and now i cant play it for 3 weeks :(

Thanks once again touching virus. You have been really really helpful.

It's more like two weeks ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Hey how long does the xbox take to get to the service centre, as they collected it monday, but it still says awaiting xbox at service centre on xbox.com

Advertisement