Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox 360 - 3 Red Lights

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

My cousins 360 got the rrod yesterday for the 2nd time, he's sent it back to ms again for repair. Im now on my 2nd machine and if this one breaks well thats it for me and microsoft console gaming forever. Only reason ive got a 2nd machine now is that I had so many games I like and the xbox live service is very good. If the Ps3 was cheaper and more in line with the 360 I would have got that instead.

Whatever the successor will be for the 360 in the future, all these hardware failures is gonna cost microsoft, many people including myself prolly wont touch their next console with a bargepole and opt for an alternative 'next gen' console whatever that may be. How am I to believe that there future console after the 360 will be anyway more stable than whats happening atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭synacron trion

hottstuff wrote: »
    Well some say yes , there have been failures.
    But Falcons 65nm (lot 0745 onwards 175w power brick) seem to be your best bet for hoping to have a 360 free of RROD.

How can you tell which lot your xbox is from?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,052 ✭✭✭✭event

just got the 3rrod there last night

so ill ring microsoft today i suppose, do they then email me the labels?

when you send it back, do you send all the cables and hard-drives or just the console itself?

after i pack it up, do i have to ring UPS or do they come out straight away?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

event wrote: »
    just got the 3rrod there last night

so ill ring microsoft today i suppose, do they then email me the labels?

when you send it back, do you send all the cables and hard-drives or just the console itself?

after i pack it up, do i have to ring UPS or do they come out straight away?

It will either go one or two way:

1. Most likely procedure:
    -Phone up MS. They will ask you how you want your labels: email or courier. E-mail is possibly your best bet, although neither is fullproof, 100% hasty.

-You receive the e-mail, pack up the box yourself, and put the labels on.

-Phone up UPS, and you can arrange a pick-up time with you when you're around.

2. Less likely procedure (only happened on my third send-off):
    -Phone up MS. They will tell you they are sending a box.

-UPS will deliver a box with labels attatched. This will usually take a few days. If you are there, you'll possibly be lucky and the courier will wait while you pack up your XBox (as mine did). Otherwise, you'll get the box with labels et al. and you can phone up and get it collected at your leisure.

Hope that helps anyone confused about the courier situation. Just remember to take off your hard-drive and such.

PS my replacement console finally arrived this morning. Hopefully this will work for a while.

ah cool, just means ill play teh wii more now

• Advertisement

is UPS - DHL?? or are they 2 diffrent companys???

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

Right I rang Gamestop today while waiting for UPS to arrive and they said to bring it in with receipt (even though he didn't ask for it when I arrived!) and they replaced it for me on the spot with a brand new one, which I made sure was the new 65nm chip.

This will work in any of the game stores I think, provided it's within a year since you bought it. Beats the hell out of a 3 week wait :)

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭jaybee747

Had mine picked up on Tuesday by UPS. It took them the 5 days to come and get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

jaybee747 wrote: »
    Had mine picked up on Tuesday by UPS. It took them the 5 days to come and get it.

really? when i got off the phone from microsoft, UPS arrived within an hour :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

I rang them tonight. Hopefully it won't be too long before they collect mine. Probably go on working days only which means it will be Tuesday at least for myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 duff365

Was in zavvy (virgin) today and was having a look at some xbox accesories and seen that they are selling some kind of holder/fan unit. I was just wondering if this would prevent the overheaing and therefore prevent the 3rrod from happening.
    Or maybe they are trying to make money from there faults?
    If these fans actually work they should be given out for free, it would have to be more cost effective than paying ups/dhl and staff for doing the repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Thought i was one of the lucky ones with a launch console that wasnt dodgy but after just over 2 years my 360 has decided to go suicidal, those 3 red lights were quite the horrible sight, i must send it away soon, i miss her dearly!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

My 2nd 360 has just died. My original one got the 3rrod just before Christmas 2006, and a brand new console was sent back by Microsoft Jan 2007, and that's the one that just died. It's been doing it slowly - started with some graphical oddities in FIFA Street 3, then 3rrod, then back OK for a week, now gone again. Hopefully it won't take too long for MS to sort it out, and with any luck they might send me back a different one with a HDMI port - has that happened to anyone else?

Ciarán.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Unearthly

My xbox was picked up Tuesday last week by UPS, and on Xbox.com it says I have no device in repair, should I take that as it's been fixed and on its way home?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Unearthly wrote: »
    My xbox was picked up Tuesday last week by UPS, and on Xbox.com it says I have no device in repair, should I take that as it's been fixed and on its way home?

Nope, ring em. Mine never said it was in or out of repair.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You may be OK - my Xbox page said no console in for repair for about a day at one point, but they did change it eventually.

As for HDMI port, depends on the luck of the draw. My new console arrived HDMI-less anyway.

Just arrived back today by UPS

So that was 2 weeks from the day it broke, fairly decent. Let's hope they actually fixed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Damien360

My 360 died for the second time on 11th March, just got it back today the 3rd April and it lasted 30 minutes on FIFA 08 before dying again. Really annoyed. Rang MS and they are sending a different console.

Anyone know if the 3 year warranty for RROD restarts after the newer console arrives. If not, then the next time it dies it goes in the bin and I will buy a PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I am convinced ****ty EA games damage the console...fifa 08 has destroyed my console! It's the only game i have had which has caused me problems on the console...bloody EA...

Do you need the receipt to prove it is within the 3 years or what?

3 year warranty is only for the red ring of death problem. You don't need a receipt when ringing microsoft, just the serial number that's at the back of the console. Also worth signing up to xbox.com before ringing to speed up the process

• Advertisement

Cool thank, I applied online, will they send me out a box etc and stuff?

so i got mine back today, not too bad, 13 (9 working days) days after i gave it to UPS

also got a months free xbox live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭prod_igy

Just turned on my 360 there a minute ago, and lo behold i got the dreaded 3 red lights!

Went to check my receipt, and it was purchased 23/12/2005, (......insert retarded comment here!..........)! Please someone tell me its possible to still get a refund or something!??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

prod_igy wrote: »
    Just turned on my 360 there a minute ago, and lo behold i got the dreaded 3 red lights!

Went to check my receipt, and it was purchased 23/12/2005, which is outside the 3 years extended warranty! Please someone tell me its possible to still get a refund or something!??

How is it outside the 3 year warranty mate??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭prod_igy

Batesy wrote: »
    How is it outside the 3 year warranty mate??

U are a genius!!!!!! In my rush of anger i musnt have done my math correctly! oops:o:o:o:o:o:o

i am just gonna edit my previous post so i dnt look like a complete idiot!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Well my FOURTH console just died..... Less than a minute after I opened the UPS box. :mad: Words cant describe my infuriation. 30mins on phone to xbox support, will get back to me before monday 5pm, and let me know if "HO" approve a new console.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭D3UC3 J3

I could have left ya with tha xbox after WGL dude, that was the last time i played either of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

D3UC3 J3 wrote: »
    I could have left ya with tha xbox after WGL dude, that was the last time i played either of them!

Ah thanks man, I bought an arcade as a spare anyway cause Im an impatient bastard :pac:

But it's taking the piss, then clearly didnt test the xbox or repair the one they sent me. It basically RROD on arrival. :mad:

Lads,

Can i get a box sent out to me if i want?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Yup, thats how I did it, mine arrived back yesterday, havent had a chance to play yet though.

Also, does anyone want to swap PGR3 for Forza 2?? Managed to get PGR sent out eventhough I asked for Forza.

Advertisement