Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox 360 - 3 Red Lights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

any box will do go in to a shop and ask for one thats what i did mine wan in a tayto box

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭brk3

Lol - a tayto box. Thinking that would need quite a bit of padding to stop the thing rolling around in there.
    Fair enough thanks for the tip :)

one of the smaller sizes i put a ****e load of papers on the bottom of it to stop it geting damaged cos the ups dude that picked it up was a prick just ****ed in to the back of the truck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

just got 3 rings, what exactly must i do know, have reciept its just over two years old, i know i must ring microsoft, but thats about it, if i get it repaired will i still have my xbox live etc, any help would be great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭BlubberyGiraffe

Well, my Elite got the RRoD tonight, got my xbox in November of 2008 so im under warranty.

The website however, when I fill in my details and serial code returns nothing. It asks me to "confirm" my address, giving me 2 options. When I click one address it refreshes the page, when I click the other (which is the same but in CAPS), It goes to some "https://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/nxe/registerdevice.aspx?step=register" page that just times out.

This is the 4th time i got rrod, the other 3 were power cable faults. When I tried all that and nothing worked, I blew on the hard drive and it worked for a few mins, then just RRoD'd again.

I really dunno what to do to try fix it. I mailed them but nothing yet obviously. I dont understand why the website wouldn't work though, that really pissed me off.

Any Idea's?

• Advertisement

U.S. shipping address required
    You must enter a United States shipping address in order to continue. If you reside outside the U.S., go to www.xbox.com/support and initiate a console repair on the Xbox Support site for your country or region.

would this be it

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭goldwing

jap gt wrote: »
    just got 3 rings, what exactly must i do know, have reciept its just over two years old, i know i must ring microsoft, but thats about it, if i get it repaired will i still have my xbox live etc, any help would be great

you won't loose anything because you just send the xbox on it's own, you remove your hard drive or memory card and you'll be waiting anything up to 2 weeks before you get it mine got the RROD a few weeks before christmas and I got it back the day of my birthday:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mmmbop

Hi, my sons xbox got the RRoD recently. Could anyone tell me exactly how I go about getting this fixed. The XBox is around two and a half to three years old but we have no receipt. Is it still possible to get it fixed?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

mmmbop wrote: »
    Hi, my sons xbox got the RRoD recently. Could anyone tell me exactly how I go about getting this fixed. The XBox is around two and a half to three years old but we have no receipt. Is it still possible to get it fixed?

register the console on xbox.com and you should be able to find out if its still in the extended 3 year warranty. failing that, ring Microsoft and plead your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Xbox number 3 has gone RROD

This one was just over 2 and a half years old, getting longer lives at least :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭paulelectronica

my 2nd 360 went the other day , getting one red light and an error message and the 3 year warranty is up also . might be getting an elite next

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

found a fela on ebay fixin em sent mine to him had e74 its workin fine now
    pm me if you want details

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Deadloc

Hey all,

I have fixed a few 360s(RRod) and since I have all the tools I am offering to fix 360s for €60. I also have modding services on offer.

PM me for details. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭darraghjm

hi,
    Got my second rrod about 3weeks ago, rang up microsoft, they told me my xbox was 1month out of warrenty, they were saying it would cost €110 to fix. Iwasn't too happy about the price, so the girl checked with her supervisor and they told me they'd do it for free.
    So I sent it off with UPS to germany about 2weeks ago and yesterday I got what I thought was my Xbox back. When I opened the box there was a letter inside telling me to minimise any downtown while my xbox was getting fix they decided to send me out a brand new one instead.
    So now I have a brand new shinny xbox instead of my 4year old one, nice one microsoft!

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

Hey guys,

I got the RRoD last Feb after an XBOX live update, was well pished off. MS where pretty much no help, wanted €90 for what in my opinion was cause by they're firmware update. Brought it to a shop in Dublin (to which I have no affiliation)and they fixed it for €40 in a week, havent looked back since.

PM me if you want the details,

regards
    Ross

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

darraghjm wrote: »
    hi,
    Got my second rrod about 3weeks ago, rang up microsoft, they told me my xbox was 1month out of warrenty, they were saying it would cost €110 to fix. Iwasn't too happy about the price, so the girl checked with her supervisor and they told me they'd do it for free.
    So I sent it off with UPS to germany about 2weeks ago and yesterday I got what I thought was my Xbox back. When I opened the box there was a letter inside telling me to minimise any downtown while my xbox was getting fix they decided to send me out a brand new one instead.
    So now I have a brand new shinny xbox instead of my 4year old one, nice one microsoft!

No, you have a refurbished console, not a new one. Your refurb has 3 months warranty too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

No, you have a refurbished console, not a new one. Your refurb has 3 months warranty too ;)

No he probably got a new one I dealt with a lot of returned 360's and if you get one with that letter then its a new one, you can just check the manufacturing date on the back, it will have the stickers over the DVD tray and you'll have to sync your controllers with the new box.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

No he probably got a new one I dealt with a lot of returned 360's and if you get one with that letter then its a new one, you can just check the manufacturing date on the back, it will have the stickers over the DVD tray and you'll have to sync your controllers with the new box.

I got that letter twice, both times I got a Xenon console with the DVD sticker in place and a Manufacturing date of XXX-2009. They don't make new Xenon consoles anymore. Both times I also got a slip reminding me to sync my controllers to the new box.

Both are refurbs, and came with 3 months warranty. There is no guarantee, even with the letter. The best way to check is on xbox.com and check the warranty expiration date. If it's 1 year and not 3 months, then it's a brand new console.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

What happens with just one light and you get E71 + E79 errors.. I've tried everything advised apart from the X-clamp fix.

Some say it's a problem with the Dashboard not being able to boot, which made me think.. If I fix the X-clamps and it still doesn't work, would Jtagging it fix the NAND? Obviously I haven't got a copy of the NAND image file (since I haven't Jtagged it yet) but say I did and re-wrote it with a clean copy. Would that work?

Been pulled apart a number of times now for different reasons, so MS will have none of it! It's about 2.5 years or more old anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭juanjo

Hey, my x-clamp fixed xbox 360 has done the dirty on me again. No image and only sound. I'm thinking about reballing it, I found a guy in england doing it for 25 quid + 10 for shipping + 5 for an extra front fan mod.

I've also seen that in ebay they sell reballing kits, it is not a laser station but enough to do the reballing, with the aid of a heating lamp and a soldering station.

Has anyone tried these stations or know anyone using them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

I just bought Final Fantasy 13 on Thursday, come Saturday night my screen goes all green but thankfully I managed to save before I turned it off. I reset it only to find the bottom right light flashing red and I get the E74 message in various languages.

I'm guessing it's the scaler chip after some investigating online and I did have it on for over 6 hours so it must have overheated. Regardless this is just ridiculous, I have registered the device online but everytime I request a new repair (the warranty is gone) there is a problem in connection.

I might just end up buying a PS3 at this stage, how Microsoft are getting away with this is criminal. /rant

@Resi12: I also have a ps3, and I've read on forums that the ps3 is not fail-free either. it has the YLOD and it seems the bluray drive gives some of grief as well.

I'd advise you to do a bit of research before getting it, in order to avoid potential surprises.

I found a chart, here:
    xbox-failure-rates.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

juanjo wrote: »
    I found a chart, here:

You found a chart through google images. It must be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

juanjo wrote: »
    I found a chart, here: "IMAGE GRR"

This is probably wrong, do ya not know that 73% of statistics are made up on the spot?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

hey guys how long does it take after you call xbox support before they send out the ups delivery slips by email?

it can take any thing up to 12 hrs check your spam fonder as well

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

thanks naughto the call centre in india is a little hard to understand when i was on

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

FFS this is the second 360 to RROD on me!!:mad:

Got the first one replaced by Microsoft which was just within the extended warrenty with an older 360 (the one without the HDMI port, same as the first one I had). They gave me a 3 month guarantee with the second one but typically the 360 decideds to RROD as soon as the 3 month guarantee runs out.

So how much will this cost to repair? Im now starting to think its just not worth it and am so tempted to go for a PS3 instead, only problem being the circa 40 Xbox 360 games i have.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You found a chart through google images. It must be true.

I use bing. But if you are in possession of more accurate info, please illuminate me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Hmm interesting

The "red ring" is a lazer reader issue for this reason X-Box have extended the warrenty from 1 Yr to 3 Yrs but only on a set batch number, not sure what batch. also have heard of one mate wrapping a towel around it to force a reset for overtemp. Not sure of validity or recommending this but has worked for a mate:)

Advertisement