Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox 360 - 3 Red Lights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Absolutely useless support there.

Wanted to return two xboxes on my girlfriends behalf, got online went through the whole process of getting them registered etc and all going well.

Then he wants me to be at the console to do troubleshooting. Obviously this is a problem. The xboxes in her house, not mine.

Guy on phone refused to accept the order for repair until he could troubleshoot it, cause seemingly he can rectify the melted glue that pussed out of the back of the console.

Pain the the hole, have to go over to her house next week, then ring back for monotonous troubleshooting scripts before he takes them off me.

I genuinely hate ringing tech support lines, cause they never help : /

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

The "red ring" is a lazer reader issue for this reason X-Box have extended the warrenty from 1 Yr to 3 Yrs but only on a set batch number, not sure what batch. also have heard of one mate wrapping a towel around it to force a reset for overtemp. Not sure of validity or recommending this but has worked for a mate:)

I'm sorry but this is misinformation plain and simple.

The RROD issue in the Xbox 360 is caused by the use of substandard parts and bad thermal design.

The GPU and CPU tend to overheat due to the way the internals of the console are designed... the GPU heatsink being directly under the DVD drive for instance.

It overheats so much that it causes the solder balls connecting the GPU (or CPU) to the motherboard to go cold thus being no longer conductive. There are other reasons but this is the main one.

The 'towel trick' as it's called isn't recommended as it purposefully overheats the console and whilst this will give connectivity to the solder balls for a very short period of time (usually just under two weeks) it also overheats other vital components (like capacitors) which can pop under the pressure. It's completely not recommended by *anyone* that knows what they're doing.

Addendum: Microsoft haven't extended the warranty period for a set amount of consoles... it's for every Xbox 360 ever made regardless of batch number or motherboard revision. A design flaw is a design flaw.

Please read up on something before you decide to post ;-)

Red ring is a general failure, isnt necessarily the mobo warping, but 90% of the time it is.

You need to get the secondary code by holding the sync button and pressing eject and taking note of what quadrants are flashing each of the 4 times and comparing online.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

juanjo wrote: »
    I use bing. But if you are in possession of more accurate info, please illuminate me.

Ok, here you go

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Two of my mates rang up today about their Xbox 360 as they have the 3 red rings. Consoles are nearly 4years old. They asked for serial number of Xbox's and nothing else...

Courier is to be arranged to pick them up....They were given as stated the 3 months warranty plus a months free gold live membership for the hassle...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Hmm interesting

Achilles wrote: »
    I'm sorry but this is misinformation plain and simple

Please read up on something before you decide to post ;-)
    FYI

your Achilles heel here is that the original quote was wrt the red ring of death not the red semi circle of death the upper and lower left quadrants flash when the console has reached an unusually high temp. the console will then shut off the CPU and GPU until the console has cooled sufficiently, but I do agree with your finishing quote
    PLEASE READ UP ON SOMETHING BEFORE YOU DECIDE TO POST ;-)

FYI

your Achilles heel here is that the original quote was wrt the red ring of death not the red semi circle of death the upper and lower left quadrants flash when the console has reached an unusually high temp. the console will then shut off the CPU and GPU until the console has cooled sufficiently, but I do agree with your finishing quote
    PLEASE READ UP ON SOMETHING BEFORE YOU DECIDE TO POST ;-)

Yes two red lights means overheating but it's still not overheating of the 'DVD' drive.

The 'RROD' is usually synonymous with the 3 red rings meaning a general hardware failure.

My point remains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 farneville

Darn I am planning on buying a new xbox360 but this seems to be a common concern, Now I am skeptical in choosing between Xbox360 and PS3.

Question: How long before you folks encountered such red lights?

I am an expat BTW and knows nothing in Ireland :P

Edit: wares link cut 1 week ban

I recommend you remove that URL for fear of being banned.

As for getting cheap Xbox games... Gamestop usually have some good trade-in deals.

Also the newer motherboard revisions on the Xbox 360 seems to be much less prone to the RROD considering that the chips are much smaller and their case designs have gotten smarter.

However there's still the risk of it happening considering that they still build them with those god awful X-Clamps.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

farneville wrote: »
    Darn I am planning on buying a new xbox360 but this seems to be a common concern, Now I am skeptical in choosing between Xbox360 and PS3.

Question: How long before you folks encountered such red lights?

I am an expat BTW and knows nothing in Ireland :P
    Another Question: Where can I buy cheap Xbox360 Games in Dublin?

New xbox 360s are pretty solid run with alot less heat than the old ones .
    heat was the main cause for failure.
    i removed the x clamps on my console and installed a uniclamp.
    this fixes the case design flaws

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

So I have this 360.. Im not sure, about 3 years now. I have sent it off to Germany and had it fixed a long time ago but its getting the RROD again. I dont have a receipt, what are my options?

Id really just like to get rid of it, is there any shops that will buy it off me? or anywhere I can recycle it and get cash? haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

So I have this 360.. Im not sure, about 3 years now. I have sent it off to Germany and had it fixed a long time ago but its getting the RROD again. I dont have a receipt, what are my options?

Id really just like to get rid of it, is there any shops that will buy it off me? or anywhere I can recycle it and get cash? haha.
    http://www.adverts.ie/showcat.php?cat=134

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

massy086 wrote: »

Someone will actually a dodgey 360?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭theroomisonfire

Hi

I had my xbox 360 repaired for the 3 red lights problem by a boards.ie user. However, this repair failed 3 weeks later and my xbox no longer works. What can I do? I have contacted the guy that repaired it but he won't reply to my texts or answer my calls.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

first of all you should name this guy so other people dont get caught.you warrenty will be gone now with microsoft as it was opened.there is place in dublin that does it,i dont no where it is as ihave not used it before

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

Hi

I had my xbox 360 repaired for the 3 red lights problem by a boards.ie user. However, this repair failed 3 weeks later and my xbox no longer works. What can I do? I have contacted the guy that repaired it but he won't reply to my texts or answer my calls.

Thanks
    where abouts are you if ur anywhere near limerick ill have a look at it for you and ill give a warranty on my repair send me a pm if u want
    if your not in limerick and still interested id say we could arrange something

where abouts are you if ur anywhere near limerick ill have a look at it for you and ill give a warranty on my repair send me a pm if u want
    if your not in limerick and still interested id say we could arrange something

I have repaired Xbox 360s for boards users before and recently changed phone number.

It wasn't me by any chance was it? My repairs usually last much longer than this.

No it wasn't you Achilles. But thanks. I had it repaired by Gline - so other boards.ie members should be aware of this.

Would you be able to take a look at it Achilles? I'm in Dublin

Thanks

No it wasn't you Achilles. But thanks. I had it repaired by Gline - so other boards.ie members should be aware of this.

Would you be able to take a look at it Achilles? I'm in Dublin

Thanks

Yeah I can have a look at it for you... I'd love to see the attempted repair job and see how it was messed up.

Can you do me a favour? Power up the Xbox and wait for it to red ring. When it does hold in the sync button and press eject 4 times. Note down the code it outputs via the rrod lights.

Eg 4 = 0, 2 = 2 etc.

You should end up with a 4 digit code which will help me tell you what's wrong with it and if I can fix it before I even touch it.

Thanks!

• Advertisement

thanks for you help Achilles

I done what you said and the code appears to be 4114. Strangely enough I switched on my xbox and it worked today but now it is back to the red lights and not functioning. There are 4 red lights right now.

I Appreciate your help

Many thanks!!

sorry that code should actually read 0110

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

funkyflea wrote: »
    Hey, purchased my Xbox in 2006 got RROD in 2007 , was repaired on 15/05/2007. Now it's 2010 and I've just gotten the RROD again - am I still covered through this 3 year warranty extension (should bring me up to 15/05/2010 surely?)

Don't have the original receipt though, it's been 4 years.. I'll prob just go buy a new one if I'm not covered.

My console didn't appear under devices and I tried to add one, says 'a problem occured' and asked me to phone them..weird.

edit: still covered under warranty, arranging collection this week.

Hi guys,
    Pretty much the same thing has just happened me - console was fixed in October 2007, just went RROD last night.

Is this correct: my warranty should be extended until Oct 2010?
    I don't have the original receipt, will this be a problem?

Thanks for the help - sorry if it's been discussed before it's a huge thread!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Got a new 360 back. I'm pretty sure it's a refurb though. Service date is 9-3-2010 but the machine has a power rating of 16.5A meaning it's probably a Xenon or Zephyr. I'm guessing I'll be ringing support again in 6 months again with the same problem. Really annoying because I really looked after my first 360 only for my original model to rrod after 3 and a half years anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

My xbox arrived at the service center yesterday and the same day they dispatched a replacement.

This seems pretty fast, they aren't sending my broken xbox back to me are they?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I heard they only send out refurbs. That's what I got anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Been getting the 3 red rings for the last couple of weeks but when I plugged out the xbox and then turned it on again it worked away. This evening though, not so lucky. The 3 red light were flashing for awhile but now there's no lights at all. The xbox is on (no fans etc.) and no picture.

I bought the xbox in Jul-Sept '06. Is it right to say that the warranty was initially 1 year + 3 years extended which makes it 4 years altogether or is it just 3 years altogether? Would it be worth contacting Microsoft anyways about it in case they would exchange it for me? Thanks ;)

AntiRip wrote: »
    Been getting the 3 red rings for the last couple of weeks but when I plugged out the xbox and then turned it on again it worked away. This evening though, not so lucky. The 3 red light were flashing for awhile but now there's no lights at all. The xbox is on (no fans etc.) and no picture.

I bought the xbox in Jul-Sept '06. Is it right to say that the warranty was initially 1 year + 3 years extended which makes it 4 years altogether or is it just 3 years altogether? Would it be worth contacting Microsoft anyways about it in case they would exchange it for me? Thanks ;)

Original 1 year warrenty was extended to 3 years for the RROD.

You're out of luck unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

3 years total.
    its an automated service from their website so you probably wont get to far with that.

had the same problem myself. Ups picked it up . week and a half later repaired xbox returned. great service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Achilles wrote: »
    Original 1 year warrenty was extended to 3 years for the RROD.

You're out of luck unfortunately.

Thanks Achilles ;)

Trying to register it on https://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/nxe/registerdevice.aspx?step=repair
    Getting nowhere though. Every time I try to submit my info the page only re-loops.

Advertisement