Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox 360 - 3 Red Lights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

3 years total.
    its an automated service from their website so you probably wont get to far with that.

had the same problem myself. Ups picked it up . week and a half later repaired xbox returned. great service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Martron wrote: »
    3 years total.
    its an automated service from their website so you probably wont get to far with that.

had the same problem myself. Ups picked it up . week and a half later repaired xbox returned. great service.

So are you better off contacting them by phone?

i odnt know . but what i am sayin is that when you request a repair online its an automated service so the computer will just look at the manufacture date and refuse it. if you ring them up you might get a better answer

AntiRip wrote: »
    Thanks Achilles ;)

Trying to register it on https://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/nxe/registerdevice.aspx?step=repair
    Getting nowhere though. Every time I try to submit my info the page only re-loops.

just saw this now. if you try it again and in the top left corner make sure ireland is selected . as if you try and go throught he american site it reloops

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

sending away my xbox tomorrow for repair, what boxes did ye use, i have a box that my xbox steering wheel came in, will this do

• Advertisement

i had a massive box a portable tv came in and filled it with newspaper. i would not worry about it too much . it comes back in a different box. just write fragile on it and packit as tight as you can

lads im useless at following instructions, what lables must i put on the box, is it just the label with my address and xbox address that ups sent, or is there more, also it says on the website the label must be in a shipping pouch, where will i get this

Instead of all the hassle of contacting MS and sending them the xbox and maybe getting a refurb/repaired, and in 12 months time might have to do it all over again and pay over e100 I bought this instead on ebay.

Instead of all the hassle of contacting MS and sending them the xbox and maybe getting a refurb/repaired, and in 12 months time might have to do it all over again and pay over e100 I bought this instead on ebay.

was it brand new when you got it, i have heard of people getting caught, what does he mean by base unit only

jap gt wrote: »
    was it brand new when you got it, i have heard of people getting caught, what does he mean by base unit only

Will let you know when I get it. Base unit means just the console (no controllers, leads, etc.). Just plug in your leads from your old console.

• Advertisement

why spend money now. get it fixed then if it breaks again then buy another one, you dont need a docket pocket. print off the label on a4 paper. it tells you where to fold it. put it on the box then cover it in sellotape. same thing. job done!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

Hey guys, My Xbox RROD today with 3 months left on the 3 year warrenty. I left it for a few hours and now its working again.

Should I just send it off now while its still working or wait for it to break completely?

mgsrocks wrote: »
    Hey guys, My Xbox RROD today with 3 months left on the 3 year warrenty. I left it for a few hours and now its working again.

Should I just send it off now while its still working or wait for it to break completely?

Send it before the warrenty runs out, it WILL happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Send it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

cisk wrote: »
    Send it before the warrenty runs out, it WILL happen again.

..and again! My fcuking piece of sh1t one has RROD'd again after twice being repaired under warranty.:mad: Bought in Dec '06 so now out of warranty. Those early models really were pants. I'll hold off and see what MS are offering in E3 soon before deciding my next course of action. Wont be getting this one repaired either way.

yea was looking at this also but auction generally ends up at £120 + £30 shipping to Ireland -this is without HDD, controller etc. Can get a new one on Amazon for £185 all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

..and again! My fcuking piece of sh1t one has RROD'd again after twice being repaired under warranty.:mad: Bought in Dec '06 so now out of warranty. Those early models really were pants. I'll hold off and see what MS are offering in E3 soon before deciding my next course of action. Wont be getting this one repaired either way.

Wanna offload it? :P

Achilles wrote: »
    Wanna offload it? :P

Well when I say I wont get it repaired, I meant via official route...

Well when I say I wont get it repaired, I meant via official route...

Ohh. Well if that's the case then I can repair it for you. I'll replace the X-Clamps with a much better method which should stop the motherboard from flexing thus reducing the risk of another RROD.

Ohh. Well if that's the case then I can repair it for you. I'll replace the X-Clamps with a much better method which should stop the motherboard from flexing thus reducing the risk of another RROD.

PM sent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Xbox went awol yesterday, it works sometimes, sometimes for 2 minutes sometimes for 20, and freezes during games or at startup. I did move rooms in the house yesterday to use it, so maybe this effected it? no issues prior to moving it

I sometimes get the 3 rings, but ive gotten E79 and E71 and 1 quadrant red, not sure whats going on, it worked once out of 5-6 times today, but then twice after got 3 red rings, then once after just froze on the dashboard...

I seem to have tried all the necessary trouble shooting steps, its a 3 and a half year old elite, so warranty is up + id rather get it sorted locally than sending it off

It happened one day before the halo reach beta, halo being the reason why i got an xbox in the first place! really annoying :(

its not one definite issue or problem but a lot of different ones, not really sure what to do about it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Smaug80

Yeah I can have a look at it for you... I'd love to see the attempted repair job and see how it was messed up.

Can you do me a favour? Power up the Xbox and wait for it to red ring. When it does hold in the sync button and press eject 4 times. Note down the code it outputs via the rrod lights.

Eg 4 = 0, 2 = 2 etc.

You should end up with a 4 digit code which will help me tell you what's wrong with it and if I can fix it before I even touch it.

Thanks!

Hey, I have the same issue and the Red Lights problem. What is this problem generally and how much are you generally to fix it? I am in Dublin and need my Xbox fixed? Can you help?

Thanks,

Smaug80 wrote: »
    Hey, I have the same issue and the Red Lights problem. What is this problem generally and how much are you generally to fix it? I am in Dublin and need my Xbox fixed? Can you help?

Thanks,

The problem pure and simple is bad system design on Microsoft's part.

The unit wasn't exactly designed with heat dissipation in mind so the heat causes the motherboard to flex so much that eventually solder joints on the CPU / GPU / Ram or HANA chip go cold.

It can be a combination of all of the above or neither. Depends on the Xbox really.

As my sig says I charge €50 and I'm based in Dublin.

Achilles,

I am in Tallaght and looking to get it fixed Wednesday - last day off. If you can do it, without me driving all over Dublin, can you let me know and what length of guarantee do you give?

Thanks,
    Smaug

The unit wasn't exactly designed with heat dissipation in mind so the heat causes the motherboard to flex so much that eventually solder joints on the CPU / GPU / Ram or HANA chip go cold.

It can be a combination of all of the above or neither. Depends on the Xbox really.

Achilles,

I am in Tallaght and looking to get it fixed Wednesday - last day off. If you can do it, without me driving all over Dublin, can you let me know and what length of guarantee do you give?

Thanks,
    Smaug

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

got mine in may 08 it broke in july of that year but not rrod got the rrod today it

kept freezing all day and finally the red lights appeared. is the extended

warranty still valid on it. i dont have the receipt but i didn't have it the last time

either when i got it fixed. what am i entitled to and what should i do

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

ring microsoft and tell em its broken, im sure u need ur serial no n ****, not sure how it works myself, but thats jus a guess

f0ggy92 wrote: »
    got mine in may 08 it broke in july of that year but not rrod got the rrod today it

kept freezing all day and finally the red lights appeared. is the extended

warranty still valid on it. i dont have the receipt but i didn't have it the last time

either when i got it fixed. what am i entitled to and what should i do

if you read 2 or 3 pages into this thread you will see.

go to the xbox website and request a repair. enter your serial code on the back of the xbox and they email you a ups sticker. ups will either collect it or you can drop it to ups.

2 weeks later xbox will return your repaired xbox.

RROD is covered by extended warranty. 3 years so you should be ok.

Is there any out there that can fix the 3 red light problem in one day. Am sick of hearing it will take a few days and trying to rob me. If so, let me know and i'm happy to give you my business. But I won't be robbed. :D

Thanks all,

Let me know.
    Cheers,
    Al

• Advertisement

Achilles,

As you can see in my last post, just want someone who can fix it without robbing me. Can you fix it and do you want to?

Let me know,
    Thanks

Advertisement