Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox 360 - 3 Red Lights

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

yea was looking at this also but auction generally ends up at £120 + £30 shipping to Ireland -this is without HDD, controller etc. Can get a new one on Amazon for £185 all in.

Went for the Arcade Model on Amazon for e165 (free postage)
    Glad I did now, got a wireless controller and seems to be much much quieter than my last one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Smaug80 wrote: »
    Achilles,

As you can see in my last post, just want someone who can fix it without robbing me. Can you fix it and do you want to?

Let me know,
    Thanks

I won't be robbing you. I can fix it... and my charge is €50. If ya don't like that I'm sure you can go to a shop that will charge you much more than that for an inefficient method.

Your call :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭ph3n0m666

I know it might be non related - but is there anywhere in Dublin City Centre that can repair/replace the dvd drive in my console.

It stopped reading discs, so I took it apart and cleaned it up - and it was working fine - but last week its stopped and despite doing the same, the dvd drive simply will not read any discs at all

Any recommendations, and maybe with a price, etc?

ph3n0m666 wrote: »
    I know it might be non related - but is there anywhere in Dublin City Centre that can repair/replace the dvd drive in my console.

It stopped reading discs, so I took it apart and cleaned it up - and it was working fine - but last week its stopped and despite doing the same, the dvd drive simply will not read any discs at all

Any recommendations, and maybe with a price, etc?

Any idea what drive you have in your console? I could replace it for you if you pay for the replacement drive if ya get me.

Achilles wrote: »
    Any idea what drive you have in your console? I could replace it for you if you pay for the replacement drive if ya get me.

I do get ya - will have to check

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

ph3n0m666 wrote: »
    I do get ya - will have to check

The pots might have to be adjusted, but it is a sign of a drive on it's way out. Still though, could save you a few quid in the meantime if you try adjusting the pots (you'll have to open the DVD drive to get at the adjustors - google it :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Smaug80

I won't be robbing you. I can fix it... and my charge is €50. If ya don't like that I'm sure you can go to a shop that will charge you much more than that for an inefficient method.

Your call :-)

Ok, can you give me a private email or contact number so we can organise it? Ideally ASAP?

Sorry my inbox has been cleared now. Send me that PM again if ya can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

you'll prob be hearing from me soon too!

as expected my touchy xbox has shown the red rings on a constant basis as of today

e79 error e74 one red ring errors also...

then it worked for a game or two... froze the xbox then now theres just 3 red rigns each time.... sound like any other cases?

verrrrry annoying since it does work sometimes... you'll prob be hearing frome me too in a few weeks! im due to go away soon so ill sort it when i return! verrry annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭speedfreak

Dont want to do Achilles out of business but for those with a bit of time its quite easy to fix RROD yourself. good guides on youtube and kits from ebay (£5). Sorted mine out tonite. Beats giving m$ hundred odd euros.

• Advertisement

speedfreak wrote: »
    Dont want to do Achilles out of business but for those with a bit of time its quite easy to fix RROD yourself. good guides on youtube and kits from ebay (£5). Sorted mine out tonite. Beats giving m$ hundred odd euros.

I've detailed here many times how you can attempt to fix your RROD yourself. The full hybrid replacement that Achilles offers costs a fair bit more than £5 off ebay and is more than just a few washers and pozipan screws. It's designed to stop your motherboard flexing too, which is for all intents and purposes, a console killer.

In my experience the hybrid fix offers a longer-lasting fix for the 3RROD caused by overheating issues, the cheap kits usually don't last nearly as long. But to be fair, all fixes, no matter what method, don't last forever. I've had to re-do fixes for my friends several times, including re-doing one hybrid fix there 4 days ago. It's kind of just prolonging the inevitable, the console will RROD again at some point. Hardcore gamers won't be happy with that, casual gamers probably won't be interested in opening up the console once every two months to re-fix/overheat the console to reset the RROD and then there's the folks who have to shell out €40 per fix who'll give up after it doesn't work the first time and just end up buying a Jasper :p

I've detailed here many times how you can attempt to fix your RROD yourself. The full hybrid replacement that Achilles offers costs a fair bit more than £5 off ebay and is more than just a few washers and pozipan screws. It's designed to stop your motherboard flexing too, which is for all intents and purposes, a console killer.

Thanks you saved me typing that all out myself :-)

Edit: In addition not every RROD fix can be repaired with the Hybrid Advanced method either some of them have to be heatgunned some boards have to be baked etc... it's not just as simple as me just replacing the X-Clamps and hoping for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭speedfreak

Thanks you saved me typing that all out myself :-)

Edit: In addition not every RROD fix can be repaired with the Hybrid Advanced method either some of them have to be heatgunned some boards have to be baked etc... it's not just as simple as me just replacing the X-Clamps and hoping for the best.

Sorry guys only read the last few pages. Didn't realise there were different methods! My box is a Dec 06 one and has already been back to M$ twice under warranty. Anyway this'll hopefully tide me over till new slim/natal/whatever xbox is launched in the autumn.

I do a combo of heatgunning(Reflow) and hybrid fix, but even i say its temporary at best, the only propper fix bar sending it to MS is Reballing the CPU & GPU witha BGA Rework station, which cost over €1000+

I havnt seen anyone in ireland offering this service for 360s in ireland.

I'd love to have a proper reflow station to be honest.

Actually I see that you do all drive flashing cisk... can I ask where you got your LiteON probe?

is there anywhere in Dublin, or even Ireland that does replacement DVD drives for the xbox 360?

I'd love to have a proper reflow station to be honest.

Actually I see that you do all drive flashing cisk... can I ask where you got your LiteON probe?

You would be best with the probe 2, makes dumping the new lite-ons easier aswell as retaining probe 1 functionality for the 7xxx series liteons.

http://www.ck3.co.uk/xecuter-ck3-probe-2.html

cisk wrote: »
    You would be best with the probe 2, makes dumping the new lite-ons easier aswell as retaining probe 1 functionality for the 7xxx series liteons.

http://www.ck3.co.uk/xecuter-ck3-probe-2.html

That has to be used in conjunction with something else though doesn't it? I currently have a Maximus Power Dongle that I use to power the drives from the PC... but I'm guessing that I can't use the two of these together as there's no connector for any probes.

Pity the probe itself doesn't just have a serial connector as I can already power the drive...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I was just turning on my xbox there and I got one red light and then a message came on the screen saying to contact microsoft,so I turned it off and back on again it appears to be working ok now,is she on her last legs ?:(

I was just turning on my xbox there and I got one red light and then a message came on the screen saying to contact microsoft,so I turned it off and back on again it appears to be working ok now,is she on her last legs ?:(

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is it fixable?or would be even worth getting fixed?would it get the red light again a few months down the line again,I've had it since dec 07.

That depends on the error. What error did you get on Screen? Was it E73, E74 or something else?

Having read over this thread Im pretty sure it was e74 error,there was just one red light.

Having read over this thread Im pretty sure it was e74 error,there was just one red light.

If it happens again let me know and I might be able to sort it out for ya.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭torrestorres

achilles do you flash xbox360's, how long would it take if i was to drive to you and wait? and cost also :)

achilles do you flash xbox360's, how long would it take if i was to drive to you and wait? and cost also :)

That depends. Do you have any idea which DVD drive you have? I can flash everything but a LiteON drive atm.

Cost would be €30.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭torrestorres

That depends. Do you have any idea which DVD drive you have? I can flash everything but a LiteON drive atm.

Cost would be €30.

Thanks Achilles but i've found someone closer to home, paying a bit extra at €50.00 but worth it as i won't have to drive to Dublin.

Thanks for the reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭_MadRa_

My problems began when i bought left 4 dead, it started freezing immediately , had to empty the cache each time i wanted to play it. I had about 4 days, then i got E74.
    Rang microsoft, they said it was a free repair. i wasnt registered so the operator did that for me, took about 20 mins. A for Apple, B for Ball, F for F...F...Frankenstein...the usual...UPS driver would collect it in 2 days time; said she.
    3 days later i rang again...turns out i wasnt registered ...after all that spelling jibba jabba...
    "Registered" again, this time it WORKED, Driver came and collected my broken precious... 9 days later my baby is back ...

They just dont make it easy ... 130 euro for arcade version in Argos
    almost 130 euro worth of hassle ... not quite tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭EyesOnly

Sent mine off yestarday for repair (suppose ill have to do something around the house now i dont have my xbox for awhile), how long does it take to show up on ups tracking anyone know?

• Advertisement

EyesOnly wrote: »
    Sent mine off yestarday for repair (suppose ill have to do something around the house now i dont have my xbox for awhile), how long does it take to show up on ups tracking anyone know?

End of the day. Turnaround is usually 10 days ;)

Advertisement