Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox 360 - 3 Red Lights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Ha, sound!! Was havin a gawk and realised I couldn't afford to pay anyone, so did it myself this mornin!

Just gotta get some switching diodes tomorrow in Maplin, no luck in peats!

Was uber jealous of all your Freebooting I'd read through so had to have a go! Just hope I get some good dumps tomorrow.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Goat_Boy_jones

So if you send it off to Frankfurt to they replace it with a new one or just try and fix it? I had the 3 rings...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭siblers

So my 20gb console finally packed it in and got 4 flashing red lights, may get an elite over the new slim one if there's any good deals going, just wondering can you still do a data transfer with 4 red lights?
    Edit: Saw a video on it, guess once my HDD isn't corrupted it should be ok.
    If I go onto a new 360 and recover my account and then transfer my data, do I lose my save games or anything like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

siblers wrote: »
    So my 20gb console finally packed it in and got 4 flashing red lights, may get an elite over the new slim one if there's any good deals going, just wondering can you still do a data transfer with 4 red lights?
    Edit: Saw a video on it, guess once my HDD isn't corrupted it should be ok.
    If I go onto a new 360 and recover my account and then transfer my data, do I lose my save games or anything like that?

Normally it's either 1 light or 3, 4 is either AV cable's unplugged or if it's got HDMI it could be serious, but I've never seen/heard anyone with that problem and I read a lot of Xbox repair forums.. (sounds like I'm bragging)

Hold the sync button and tap eject 4 times, note down how many lights flash (4=0) each time you press eject.

Check here and see what it says..

http://xbox-experts.com/errorcode/-/4444/ - You can aso look up your 4 digit secondary code on that site..

For your HDD + saves etc, you can get a transfer cable and copy them across, DLC etc needs to be recovered.. Or there's a diy method involving pulling the HDD case apart + gutting a portable 2.5" HDD.

PM me if ya need more help!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

on the xbox site in repair request secfion its asking me for a zip code what do i put down its a required field but there isnt zip codes in ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

f0ggy92 wrote: »
    on the xbox site in repair request secfion its asking me for a zip code what do i put down its a required field but there isnt zip codes in ireland

Select Ireland as your country in the top right hand corner.

it ssays my serial no. is already registered from the last time but i did t6hat over the phone. i'm having trouble making a repair request anyone tell me what to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

f0ggy92 wrote: »
    it ssays my serial no. is already registered from the last time but i did t6hat over the phone. i'm having trouble making a repair request anyone tell me what to do?

Call them, or log into xbox.com with the information you gave them first time around because that's the account your Console is associated with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭kevin_de_big

My 360's out of its three-year warranty, and it of course decided to give the auld red rings. While I would be willing to repair, for the right price, a friend has told me that it may be better to get the arcade, now in the region of €130 with the controller and all-important new warranty. I am basically wondering what the going rate for repair of the aforesaid problem is, in the likes of console repair on Abbey St., and so on.

Thanks,

Kev

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

My 360's out of its three-year warranty, and it of course decided to give the auld red rings. While I would be willing to repair, for the right price, a friend has told me that it may be better to get the arcade, now in the region of €130 with the controller and all-important new warranty. I am basically wondering what the going rate for repair of the aforesaid problem is, in the likes of console repair on Abbey St., and so on.

Thanks,

Kev

i sorted my xbox out for about 20euro, you could get people to do it for about 40-50 euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Anyone ever see a Zombie Xbox?

My oldest one RRODed about 2 months ago, but somehow arose from teh dead and worked for about 2 weeks. Now its RRODed again.

I was half tru Red Dead and kids wont lend me theirs :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Thanks,

Kev

Or use it to get €80 discount of the new one in gamestop.

i got the lables in an email so do i have to call ups oor do xbox arrange it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

You have to call ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Or drop it off at a UPS location.

it said in the email i had to attach the lable with shipping tape. can i just use sticky tape

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I guess that should be fine as long as you cover all the paper. Kind of laminate it.
    It will be send to Germany and chances are that exposed paper gets ripped, barcode is lost = xbox is lost.

if i asked in the post office might they have some shipping tape

on the ups site theres a section "ups services in your collectionthat i need to fill in theres 3 boxes "ups express plus, ups express orups express saver" does it matter which i pick i'm assuming its just about how quickly i want it collected.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Right, I hoped i'd never have to post in this thread but here I am.

My very trusty much loved LAUNCH box just RROD'd on me. On the very day the slim comes out. Hmm, a suspicious coincidence.

So since it would have been 5 years old in November I guess I'm outside the 3 year warranty. I'd prefer to not hack to open and attempt a fix.

Will MS do me a good-will gesture and take it back considering its a launch box?

I was thinking of just buying a Slim one tomorrow. Will I be able to transfer my saves if the current one is hosed.

Also, what's the best method for returning it? Ring the number or is there some online way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

quarryman wrote: »

My very trusty much loved LAUNCH box just RROD'd on me. On the very day the slim comes out. Hmm, a suspicious coincidence.

So since it would have been 5 years old in November I guess I'm outside the 3 year warranty. I'd prefer to not hack to open and attempt a fix.

Will MS do me a good-will gesture and take it back considering its a launch box?

I was thinking of just buying a Slim one tomorrow. Will I be able to transfer my saves if the current one is hosed.

Also, what's the best method for returning it? Ring the number or is there some online way?

140 quid it will cost you, not a hope they will take it back. Prob better trying to repair it yourself or else get a slim one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Mac Masters

quarryman wrote: »

It depends did it proper RROD, when the ring came up did it begin to spin or did it just light up?

One thing to take note of is that with that age it could be the hardrive, you should begin by checking if it works when you unplug the hardrive and if it does that means the hardrive has probably deteriated and you may just need to purchase a new one.

Another thing to check is whether it is a problem with an incorrect download basically you can't tell if it's this but one thing to try is even though when you turn it on it won't let you into the dashboard but basically if you leave it on the 3 red lights (provided it's not nonstop spinning if it's that case I'm not sure whether this will work) but pretty much just leave it on the three red lights for 30 or 35 minutes then turn it off and then back on again you should get into the menu now from here you can perform a clearence to clear the system of the corrupted download, go to system, go to memory press Y on the HD symbol then press X, X, Left Bumper, Right Bumper, X,X.
    Then it should come up a message saying: Do you want to perform maintenance on your Xbox 360 storage devices?
    Just say yes.
    Hopefully you'll be able to boot up fine when you turn it on and you just have to update everything again then, if you get RROD again try unpluging the hardrive putting the game in update the game then turn off and put the hardrive back in! This should work hopefully!

Sorry for such a long post and oh yeah doing this does not erase your saves! :D

Good Luck,
    Mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

It depends did it proper RROD, when the ring came up did it begin to spin or did it just light up?

One thing to take note of is that with that age it could be the hardrive, you should begin by checking if it works when you unplug the hardrive and if it does that means the hardrive has probably deteriated and you may just need to purchase a new one.

Another thing to check is whether it is a problem with an incorrect download basically you can't tell if it's this but one thing to try is even though when you turn it on it won't let you into the dashboard but basically if you leave it on the 3 red lights (provided it's not nonstop spinning if it's that case I'm not sure whether this will work) but pretty much just leave it on the three red lights for 30 or 35 minutes then turn it off and then back on again you should get into the menu now from here you can perform a clearence to clear the system of the corrupted download, go to system, go to memory press Y on the HD symbol then press X, X, Left Bumper, Right Bumper, X,X.
    Then it should come up a message saying: Do you want to perform maintenance on your Xbox 360 storage devices?
    Just say yes.
    Hopefully you'll be able to boot up fine when you turn it on and you just have to update everything again then, if you get RROD again try unpluging the hardrive putting the game in update the game then turn off and put the hardrive back in! This should work hopefully!

Sorry for such a long post and oh yeah doing this does not erase your saves! :D

Good Luck,
    Mac.

ok thanks for that.

I'll explain exactly how it popped up.

I was playing some Bioshock 2. Turned off the console but left it charge my controller. I think its in some sort of standby state for that.

Left it do its thing then looked up to see the 3 solid red lights (not spinning). I turned it off and back on. Got me back to the menu. Seemed ok. Knocked it off again but this time trying to power up gave the 3 lights. Repeated attempts made no difference.

What you suggested - a bad hard drive or download, could be proved by just re-trying with no HDD plugged in? I might try that.

I'd say I'm out of luck though. What i think happened was the power down with the console in standby straight after some gaming allowed the heat to build up and push it over the edge. Heat soak I guess.

I'll let you know how i get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Hey folks got that dreaded 3 red lights just now.

Having huge problems with the microsoft website though everytime i try to register the product or repair it takes me to the page to fill out details as soon as i put in ireland as location it closes the page down and brings me back to the registration/repair page?

Any help?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

racso1975 wrote: »
    Hey folks got that dreaded 3 red lights just now.

Having huge problems with the microsoft website though everytime i try to register the product or repair it takes me to the page to fill out details as soon as i put in ireland as location it closes the page down and brings me back to the registration/repair page?

Any help?
    Just ring them mate. I couldn't register/repair my console on the site either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

is the new xbox a year warranty from the day you purchase it or from the time you register it on the site? surely they couldn't know when you bought it + i doubt you have to show the receipt of the time you bought it if its to be repaired?

i know its a rather daft Q but just about to register it and wondered that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Just got the 3 red lights
    My xbox is roughly 3 years old, will it still be under waranty ?
    what should I do :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

I restarted it and now its back up and running :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

only a matter of time before it happens again me thinks, you may be ok once its under warranty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 El Carlito

My xbox is the same age as yours and it just red lighted at the weekend. Rang xbox support today. The guy told me it was outside the warranty period but because it was the first time I rang about this particular problem microsoft would extend the warranty and cover the cost of repair. Also will give me 1 months warranty after they return it.presume if it happens again after that i'll have to pay for it myself?

Advertisement