Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox 360 - 3 Red Lights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

do the elite consoles suffer from the RROD

thinking about upgrading my current 4yr one that rrod ever few weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭ph3n0m666

Got a debate raging here - currently have a 20g xbox with a b0rked disk drive - should I bother repairing it or just get a new "slim" or elite machine

I suffered from the 3 rings a few years ago, so its already out of warranty

If people suggest repair - is there anywhere in Dublin that does these kind of repairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

AdrianII wrote: »
    do the elite consoles suffer from the RROD

thinking about upgrading my current 4yr one that rrod ever few weeks

Anybody know if the elites suffer from the same problem???

Let me know thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

l33t boxes have cooler running chips, also have better heatsinks on them. They're less likely to overheat, but still happens! My friend has a RROD l33t box but it's the first time it's broken but it may just be his power supply. I've got a Falcon with the same setup and it RROD'd on me a while back, happened a few times, but I always caught it before it got serious (when it started to freeze/crash) I put on the Hybrid advanced kit and haven't had a single problem since!!

I highly reccomend getting your fans wired upto 12v so they're always running full speed. I've also added a fan on the outside to give good airflow from front to back inside the case, has worked wonders! Also, something I do is cut out the metal grid behind the fans, because air gets trapped between that and the plastic grid. Although you could argue it disperses heat throughout the entire metal tray which helps, but I just think get rid of any heat you can! When you put the case back together you barely see past the plastic grid anyway so it doesn't look bad at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 seanf12

Just sent my RRoD Elite away for repair, how long does it usually take?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

just to set some people straight the insides of an elite and arcade model are the exact same and an elite has just as much chance of failing as any other console.
    what determines if your console is worth keeping is the motherboard revision, the only ones that have a very low failure rate are jasper consoles and slim 360's.
    Jasper failure rate is in around 4% according to square trade
    and the slim consoles havent been out long enough to know yet.
    Most rrod consoles WILL fail again because the machine has a manufacturing defect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

i got my xbox back but instead of a repair i got a replacement. since its a new console do i get a new warranty cause my broken one was just out of warranty.

f0ggy92 wrote: »
    i got my xbox back but instead of a repair i got a replacement. since its a new console do i get a new warranty cause my broken one was just out of warranty.
    as far as i know you have a year warranty but just call microsoft and they will tell you

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

My DVD drive stopped working, it was replaced about 1.5 years ago. Its the 4th or 5th time I will have had to get an xbox repaired so I refuse to pay for it (its out side of warranty). If I had the RROD problem would M$ repair the RROD for free and the DVD drive while they were at it?

Moojuice wrote: »
    My DVD drive stopped working, it was replaced about 1.5 years ago. Its the 4th or 5th time I will have had to get an xbox repaired so I refuse to pay for it (its out side of warranty). If I had the RROD problem would M$ repair the RROD for free and the DVD drive while they were at it?
    Well if your out of warranty your not going to get the rrod repaired for free either you only have a 3 year warranty on that.
    And if you are in warranty ya microsoft will put a new dvd drive in while thier at it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

Thanks JimBobjoeyman. Its still in warranty for the RROD, I guess I could continue to use it as much as possible without a drive and hope it does RROD.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baegan

my xbox is 4 years old and i have the 3 red rings symptoms
    i rang miscrsoft and they wont help, unless i pay 110 euro.

anyone know how to fix this? as i dont want to send if off

baegan wrote: »
    my xbox is 4 years old and i have the 3 red rings symptoms
    i rang miscrsoft and they wont help, unless i pay 110 euro.

anyone know how to fix this? as i dont want to send if off
    Go to www.xbox-experts.co.uk everything you need is there use thier kit and only thier kit as any other kit will only make things worse in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

as far as i know you have a year warranty but just call microsoft and they will tell you

3 months. A replacement console is only a refurbished console.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Consolepro wrote: »
    Hello I repair video game consoles, I will be relocating to Dublin next week. I offer repairs to 360 and Ps3 systems.

The new slim xbox 360 will red light just like the older systems!! the under laying problem with the 360 and Ps3 is the lead free solder.

Consoles that get these types of errors (RROD, Error74/73 + Many Others, Freezing, Video Graphic Malfunctions, Sound but no Video
    in our experience all point back to the GPU (Video Card) of the console.
    At the time that the consoles were due to be released, lead solder was banned
    forcing all gaming console manufacturers to use a lead free make up of Zinc & Nickle which is very brittle.
    This is relevant because the GPU, CPU, Southbridge (And sometimes HANA) are bonded to the motherboard by BGA (Ball Grid Array)
    These chips literally have hundreds of tiny pads to which perfect spheres are bonded then the chip is bonded to the motherboard.
    Eventually due to the stresses of a faulty clamping system, Major heat production and repeated heating & cooling cycles of a
    gamer using their system.The solder begins to fracture causing poor solder connections which result in RROD and various other errors.

Even when the errors point to RAM, CPU or Southbridge it is almost never those chips failing but rather the solder connections
    under the GPU that lead TO those chips.

This is because the GPU is the largest BGA component and produces the most heat undergoing the most stress.

Lead is far superior for this application because of the circumstances it is to endure.
    Lead solder is maluable and does not crack, It is able to conform and move with any stresses the console can throw at it!!

Reballing the gpu on these consoles is the only way to never have a red light again. Dont buy another console with a lit fuse, get your console reballed.

Hey, troll, there's no red lights in the new Slim so...eh...you're wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Consolepro

Omg thats so funny!! I guess you really don't have a clue, if the 360 slim is so awesome then why are MS looking for someone to redesign the main board
    again!! The slim had all ready been in development for 2 years

http://www.maxconsole.net/content.php?38959-MS-looking-for-help-to-redesign-Xbox-360-motherboard

So your console breaks, you have 3 choices

1 Buy another new one and wait for the solder to break, which it will!!
    2 Send yours to Microsoft for replacement, and wait for it to break again.
    3 Have someone reball the gpu with leaded solder, so it does not break again.

I am not a troll buy a slim I dont care, I am just telling it like it is!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfGVZDULfnE

Oh and there is going to another 4-5 years in this gen of consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,695 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

consolepro, you are welcome to to discuss here, but signing up an account just to sell your services is simply not allowed here. If you wish to advertise via boards.ie you may buy advertising space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Consolepro

Sorry BlitzKrieg, I did not sign up to sell my services!! I have a huge amount of knowledge when it comes to this kind of thing.

And I just want to let you guys know there are options to buying 360's over and over again!!

As stated before MS cant use lead solder, so there console will always break, slim included.

It sucks that these things have a short shelf life!! To everybody who owns a 360, once you have finished playing leave your system on the dashboard for 10-15 mins before turning it off. It will improve the life of the solder under the BGA graphics chip!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Anyone ever see a Zombie Xbox?

My oldest one RRODed about 2 months ago, but somehow arose from teh dead and worked for about 2 weeks. Now its RRODed again.

I was half tru Red Dead and kids wont lend me theirs :(

Back alive after 6 weeks not working.

Didnt actually do anything tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

once they red ring and sometimes work again... but just for a brief period

mine worked a bit too sometimes after it ringed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Mine got the RROD during the week. Its around 3 years old. I rang MS and they are covering it under warranty. But a day later it started working. I assume theres no point in sending it if its working. I reckon it will probably happen again going by other peoples experiences. Any idea how long it is valid for once MS send you the shipping labels. I reckon the 3 years must be nearly up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

just keep the labels or whatever they send for when it eventually starts fcking up again, 2 weeks is my guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 El Carlito

El Carlito wrote: »
    My xbox is the same age as yours and it just red lighted at the weekend. Rang xbox support today. The guy told me it was outside the warranty period but because it was the first time I rang about this particular problem microsoft would extend the warranty and cover the cost of repair. Also will give me 1 months warranty after they return it.presume if it happens again after that i'll have to pay for it myself?

Got my xbox back there yesterday and it's a brand new one....pretty sweet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Consolepro wrote: »
    Sorry BlitzKrieg, I did not sign up to sell my services!! I have a huge amount of knowledge when it comes to this kind of thing.

And I just want to let you guys know there are options to buying 360's over and over again!!

As stated before MS cant use lead solder, so there console will always break, slim included.

It sucks that these things have a short shelf life!! To everybody who owns a 360, once you have finished playing leave your system on the dashboard for 10-15 mins before turning it off. It will improve the life of the solder under the BGA graphics chip!!

How much do you charge for a repair?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

El Carlito wrote: »
    Got my xbox back there yesterday and it's a brand new refurbished one....pretty sweet :)

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Just got on to MS and I'm out of warranty, but I think he's sending me some label or something, I couldn't really hear him cos the line was terrible.

He also said to set up a repair online, when I go to the request a repair page on the Xbox site I get an error. Anyone else get this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭happymondays

Hey guys,
    Can someone advice please,
    After two years of working fine my xbox finally got the 3 red rings at the weekend. My problem is i dont have a recipt anymore.
    Im pretty sure i paid with cash also so dont have any proof of purchase.

Am i screwed? Or will they accept it back to fix it without a reciept?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ThatsOurGaming

4 red lights is a loose av cable
    if you have 3 red lights
    Do Not do the towel trick only works for a period of time and then your motherboard is rightly messed with

send it of to microsoft or maybe find a boy thats good at soldering and knows what hes doing

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

I just finished applying new thermal paste and replacing the x-clamps on an arcade 360, it didn't have the RROD but did have sound and no video which I believe is also as symptom of overheating.

The only problem is I don't have the right power supply for it, I have an elite and my mate's xbox is arcade. I won't have access to a power supply until tomorrw so I can't do the overheating part of the fix. Will the paste be ok for a few hours or does it have to be overheated immediately after re-assembly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

conti wrote: »
    I just finished applying new thermal paste and replacing the x-clamps on an arcade 360, it didn't have the RROD but did have sound and no video which I believe is also as symptom of overheating.

The only problem is I don't have the right power supply for it, I have an elite and my mate's xbox is arcade. I won't have access to a power supply until tomorrw so I can't do the overheating part of the fix. Will the paste be ok for a few hours or does it have to be overheated immediately after re-assembly?

That power supply will work with it, just snap the little plastic nubbin in the middle of the power supply plug.

Advertisement