Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox 360 - 3 Red Lights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Lordhogo

I got the red rings again after I got it fixed in Console Repairs in Bray (it lasted six months so im not blaming them if someone thinks I am) but I want to know is it able to be fixed again even though it was fixed once before?

Thanks for the help.

edit: Also its showing one red ring not three so does make any difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

aggghh For ****s sake....

Just got what looks like RROD on this new machine (about 6 months old) I was about to sell it tmrw so I wouldn't have to carry it home (moving back to ireland) and use the money to buy a slim!!!

thats the idea fooked now....bollox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ad/Xbox_360_Error_codes.svg

One red ring means Hardware Failure. Are you getting an error code (such as E74)?

@neacy, if it's only 6months old, you can bring it back to the store you bought it for a full refund. all electronics in the EU have a 2 year warranty when something is inherently wrong with the product

whiteman19 wrote: »
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ad/Xbox_360_Error_codes.svg

One red ring means Hardware Failure. Are you getting an error code (such as E74)?

@neacy, if it's only 6months old, you can bring it back to the store you bought it for a full refund. all electronics in the EU have a 2 year warranty when something is inherently wrong with the product

Right thanks just wanted to make sure it wasent something completely differant then that since its not the usual three. Also do you know if it was fixed once before can it be fixed again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Lordhogo wrote: »
    Right thanks just wanted to make sure it wasent something completely differant then that since its not the usual three. Also do you know if it was fixed once before can it be fixed again?
    tbh i have no idea. i'm not really that experienced with xbox repairs, but i've heard people here say that if it's RROD once, it'll persist with it (even though that's 3 rings, not the 1 with you). maybe someone else here can help you.
    how old is the xbox? if it's less than 2 years old, it's still in warranty under EU Directive 1999/44/EC as long as it's not your fault that it's broke. it's a little known directive, but a handy one. works with all goods sold in the EU. the retailer can't fob you off to the manufacturer. the retailer is responsible as well.

• Advertisement

Well its warranty is expired but ill bring it into the place in Bray again anyway since its no fix no fee and will get a six month warranty incase it red lights on me again with them having fixed it.

Thanks for the reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Mysterious Man

Think i got the red ring of death.

Switched xbox on and the three red lights started flashing.

Turned it off and on again and still the same.

Removed peripherals and cables, HD etc. and it seems to be fine?

Is it just a matter of time before it goes again?

PS: Tried to register console on xbox.com. Looks for postal code, what do i put in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

I have a 360 that just got the e74 one light error. Do I need a receipt to send it to Microsoft if it falls within the 3 year warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Think i got the red ring of death.

Switched xbox on and the three red lights started flashing.

Turned it off and on again and still the same.

Removed peripherals and cables, HD etc. and it seems to be fine?

Is it just a matter of time before it goes again?

PS: Tried to register console on xbox.com. Looks for postal code, what do i put in?

probably... but theres different types of errors and ring count, maybe it was one of the lesser important ones

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Balls a week after commenting how well my Xbox has gone and never given me bother in over 3 years it gives me the red ring. How much does the tools and hardware cost to fix roughly or is it worth it as a place in town can fix it for 80 and have it for me in three days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

It's pretty cheap to get the bolts and washers to do it if you can find them (costs me a fiver per box).

For €80 I'd sell you an Elite (without HDD) and I'll have RROD kit fitted (working and has x-clamps atm). Doesn't take three days to do it either! (I only mention it so you're aware of all your options)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Wez wrote: »
    It's pretty cheap to get the bolts and washers to do it if you can find them (costs me a fiver per box).

For €80 I'd sell you an Elite (without HDD) and I'll have RROD kit fitted (working and has x-clamps atm). Doesn't take three days to do it either! (I only mention it so you're aware of all your options)

where do you buy the bolts and washers? Is there a guide for it? I ask because i have a RROD'd box sitting around and wouldn't mind giving it a shot myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

It's a small hardware store by my house..

There are different methods, so it depends where you get your guide, but they should tell you exactly what suits. You're looking for M5 bolts anyway, that's how wide they are and they fit straight into 360's heatsinks.

It's not always worth the risk doing it yourself, if you can find somewhere they'll give a decent warranty, then you'll definitely have an Xbox working for as long as that lasts. Then, weigh up that cost versus a 2nd hand unit.

FWIW, I literally just brought a 3 RLOD - 0102 - E18 - Elite (Falcon) back to life for a friend about 15 minutes ago..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 maxd

Wez wrote: »
    It's a small hardware store by my house..

There are different methods, so it depends where you get your guide, but they should tell you exactly what suits. You're looking for M5 bolts anyway, that's how wide they are and they fit straight into 360's heatsinks.

It's not always worth the risk doing it yourself, if you can find somewhere they'll give a decent warranty, then you'll definitely have an Xbox working for as long as that lasts. Then, weigh up that cost versus a 2nd hand unit.

FWIW, I literally just brought a 3 RLOD - 0102 - E18 - Elite (Falcon) back to life for a friend about 15 minutes ago..

I phoned microsoft same problem there sent ups had it back within the week ,but be to take out your hard drive otherwise it my be wipe (it does happen).
    All the towel wrapping etc do not work and I would not feel safe in case of a fire ,Plus under EU law you have 2 years with anything with a plug .
    best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Poxy xbox! :(
    Got the no video problem (sound but no video at all).
    Did the xclamp fix, worked for about 30 mins then went again.
    I know what I'm doing as I've fixed a few of the mates ones before so I guess I just have one of those 5-10% that the xclamp doesn't fix, reflowing the solder might be an option but have to say the whole backside of the board is suffering from bad solder. Cheap a$$ MS :(

Think I'll be getting a xbox slim 4gb so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

This company repaired my Xbox 360 for 40euro a couple of months back and its still going strong check them out at http://techrepair.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

i may look into that, ill get mine repaired for 40!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,954 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

how much is it to get RROD (3 lights) fixed in consolterepairireland in bray? any ideas?

Debating whehter just ot get a new console or try to get my one fixed (def on the way out)

I think consolerepairsireland charge 50euro for repair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

My Xbox froze playing Arkham Asylum today.I was only playing it a hour or so & the disc is like new.I'd play the 360 for about 2-3 hours a day so it can't be overheating.Its 2 years old got it after sending away a Previously RROD.Is this a sign of it going to get RROD soon.

• Advertisement

Could either be a symptom of RROD, or a problem with the disc drive or disc itself have you tried any other games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

justryan wrote: »
    Could either be a symptom of RROD, or a problem with the disc drive or disc itself have you tried any other games?

Not tried anything since.Fifa is out tomorrow so I hope its not going to RROD just before I get it.I'll give it another go in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Anyone have the phone number that can be contacted through mobile phones?

The ones on site do not seem to work : /

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭phishcakes

i got the rrod the other day but my xbox is more than 3 years old, i bought it in virgin which was sold to zavvi in 2007 n then sold on to hmv! i guess this means ive to pay to have it fixed or buy a new one!

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

I have 2 must check the error codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

ok get back to me
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hesho

m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tenacious_zep

Hey guys,

Was wondering of you could answer me this. I'm an Irish guy moved to England, got the RRoD. Was wondering if they would take this for repair, even though it was purchased in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Hey guys,

Was wondering of you could answer me this. I'm an Irish guy moved to England, got the RRoD. Was wondering if they would take this for repair, even though it was purchased in Ireland?

Should do just ring them and give the serial number.

Advertisement