Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox 360 - 3 Red Lights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Berbatov wrote: »
    Just got RROD again, third time since I bought an Xbox in 06.

Machine is out of warranty and the repair costs €75 + 2-3 week wait.

At this stage I reckon I'd rather pay someone locally to repair it or would I be better just to bite the bullet and get a bloody new one???
    Yeah I would go with that. The warranty is out so you can't void what you don't have. I think the warranty should extend at least a year after each repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Smokin_Aces

Hey guys,

I'm trying to send my xbox back to get fixed through online service center. Everything is good to go except the postal code, I've tried everything but it keeps saying it's invalid. Any solutions?

Thanks.

Hey guys,

I'm trying to send my xbox back to get fixed through online service center. Everything is good to go except the postal code, I've tried everything but it keeps saying it's invalid. Any solutions?

Thanks.
    Six zero's. I got stumped by that too but I think it says it somewhere on the online form.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dawidnowak2005

try 00000000

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Smokin_Aces

MyKeyG wrote: »
    Six zero's. I got stumped by that too but I think it says it somewhere on the online form.
    dawidnowak2005
    try 00000000

Thanks guys, already tried that. Tried just about everything. Will get someone to ring up for me. Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Just got RROD again, third time since I bought an Xbox in 06.Machine is out of warranty and the repair costs €75 + 2-3 week wait.At this stage I reckon I'd rather pay someone locally to repair it or would I be better just to bite the bullet and get a bloody new one???

I would bite the bullet TBH. I'm in a similar situation as you. Harvey Norman are doing a deal for a 4GB 360, new model for 159 at the moment. Your old hard drive should just clip on and all your RROD worries are over.

The new ones are fine for hardware errors, but if you stick with the old one and get it repaired you'll just keep running into RROD issues over and over again. They were built with design flaws, a new board or a total overhaul is all that will fix them properly-why not just spend the cash on a new one instead?

BTW, have you checked the warranty with microshaft? normally they extend it for free when they fix an RROD only. You might still be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Your old hard drive should just clip on and all your RROD worries are over.

No it won't. They're not cross compatible.

Just got RROD again, third time since I bought an Xbox in 06.

Machine is out of warranty and the repair costs €75 + 2-3 week wait.

At this stage I reckon I'd rather pay someone locally to repair it or would I be better just to bite the bullet and get a bloody new one???
    Apparently the issue has crept onto the new machine as well. In any case my next purchase is going to be anything but XboX, I just don't trust them anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Achilles wrote: »
    No it won't. They're not cross compatible.

Take the old drive apart and the sata should clip right on..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭sierra117x

I would bite the bullet TBH. I'm in a similar situation as you. Harvey Norman are doing a deal for a 4GB 360, new model for 159 at the moment. Your old hard drive should just clip on and all your RROD worries are over.

The new ones are fine for hardware errors, but if you stick with the old one and get it repaired you'll just keep running into RROD issues over and over again. They were built with design flaws, a new board or a total overhaul is all that will fix them properly-why not just spend the cash on a new one instead?

BTW, have you checked the warranty with microshaft? normally they extend it for free when they fix an RROD only. You might still be covered.
    never mind already mentioned :/

• Advertisement

bryaner wrote: »
    Take the old drive apart and the sata should clip right on..
    Oops, sorry, should have mentioned this. You need to open the proprietary Microsoft enclosure for the drive to get it out first. It's easy, there are loads of vids on YouTube, or just get someone who's good with computers to do it. It only takes 5 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Gallus

Does anyone know how ups ship these xboxs on returning from repair.
    Have one coming back that left brussels at 10 this morning. Just wondering if it will make it through the UK if its coming by truck. Heres hoping for a mail boat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Anyone know how much you get if you trade in a old xbox 360 elite with 120gb hard drive into gamestop against a new slim xbox 360? It works most of the time, but sometimes does weird things (sound distorts, textures distort, game freezes etc.) at random times while playing games, and its out of warranty (bought it in 06 I think) so im thinking of just buying a new xbox 250gb slim or xbox 4gb slim.

Do xtravision take trade ins of consoles or any good offers going on now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 StevenK

My xbox has gotten the Red ring of death back in 2007. We sent it away to get repaired. Then i got the xbox modded during april 2010. It got the red ring of death during the summer just gone by. I wrapped it in towels to overheat it and it worked again. However lyesterday 24th december 2010 the xbox froze midgame. When i went to play it again, it would freeze after a couple of minutes, or other times it wouldnt start up at all and i would just get the red ring of death. Am i better off buying a new xbox? or should i send it to be repaired?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mutleydub

StevenK wrote: »
    My xbox has gotten the Red ring of death back in 2007. We sent it away to get repaired. Then i got the xbox modded during april 2010. It got the red ring of death during the summer just gone by. I wrapped it in towels to overheat it and it worked again. However lyesterday 24th december 2010 the xbox froze midgame. When i went to play it again, it would freeze after a couple of minutes, or other times it wouldnt start up at all and i would just get the red ring of death. Am i better off buying a new xbox? or should i send it to be repaired?
    send it in as such modded. no prob!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭imalwayshappy

Hi all

In regards to the Xbox issues i took mine apart, took off the heatsinks and found alot of thermal paste over the cpu and gpu. I used hand steralizer (like vicks) and some cotton buds and cleaned it off and bingo it works! That was 2 weeks ago and havnt had any problems since!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Hi all

In regards to the Xbox issues i took mine apart, took off the heatsinks and found alot of thermal paste over the cpu and gpu. I used hand steralizer (like vicks) and some cotton buds and cleaned it off and bingo it works! That was 2 weeks ago and havnt had any problems since!

I hope you replaced it with new paste after?!

Hi all

Wow... give it about two weeks and you'll have permanently damaged both processors.

Nice one!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

How strict are microsoft on the warranty stickers, i bought a faulty xbox off ebay for 13 quid and it is still under warranty, the warranty sticker is slightly damaged so it was probably opened.

niallo27 wrote: »
    How strict are microsoft on the warranty stickers, i bought a faulty xbox off ebay for 13 quid and it is still under warranty, the warranty sticker is slightly damaged so it was probably opened.

Pretty strict... it'll probably be returned to you without repair.

• Advertisement

Pretty strict... it'll probably be returned to you without repair.

I lifted the warranty sticker off with a bit of heat, I moved it a few mm away from the crack in the case, so it looks as if it's just damaged, if they say no to it will they just send it back, I have nothing to lose really by chancing it do I

I lifted the warranty sticker off with a bit of heat, I moved it a few mm away from the crack in the case, so it looks as if it's just damaged, if they say no to it will they just send it back, I have nothing to lose really by chancing it do I

Why ask the question then? There's no need to be confrontational... I was just providing you with an answer to your original question.

You certainly don't. The chances that they even bother to look is unlikely. I'm pretty sure I didn't even get my original machine back. The flap covering the front USB ports is gone (it was a nuisance anyway) and the HD port is slightly bent (still works) which is strange because I never used the HD port prior to sending it away.

Why ask the question then? There's no need to be confrontational... I was just providing you with an answer to your original question.

How was I confrontational, I took your answer that they were strict, and then asked would they just send it back if they didn't fix it and have I anything to lose by sending it, I was in no way confrontational

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Hi all

So....

How'd you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭persie11

So I got the RRoD, my 3 yr extended warranty expired in Nov 2010. €75 for MS to fix it.

The question I have is that they know thier product is faulty but if it doesn't break down in 3 yrs, tough. I think it's BS for them to knowingly sell a faulty product and then expect me to pay for it?

I don't have €75, recently bought new game and MS points and I'm just pissed off, rant over .... for now!

PS: does the towel trick work and when i have the money to fix the console will MS be able to fix it or will the towel trick do more damage?

persie11 wrote: »
    PS: does the towel trick work and when i have the money to fix the console will MS be able to fix it or will the towel trick do more damage?

The towel trick will definately damage it - perminantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 michaelfeeney

ive just tried to fix my xbox 3 rrod error and when i went to over heat the cpu the fan would'nt start back up can anybody help me with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭steo2k9

Is it rrod but the fans don't spin with an amber LED on the power supply?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 michaelfeeney

steo2k9 wrote: »
    Is it rrod but the fans don't spin with an amber LED on the power supply?
    yeah thats what happened any clues as to whats wrong?:(

Advertisement