Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox 360 - 3 Red Lights

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 michaelfeeney

steo2k9 wrote: »
    Is it rrod but the fans don't spin with an amber LED on the power supply?

thats it alright any suggestions on what to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Ok I'm going to say it one more time and hopefully people will (eventually) start to pay attention.

STOP PERFORMING THE 'TOWEL TRICK' OR OVERHEARING YOUR CPU/GPU. YOU WILL PERMINENTLY DAMAGE THE CONSOLE BEYOND REPAIR!

Stop watching guides from 4 year olds on YouTube... seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 michaelfeeney

Achilles wrote: »
    Ok I'm going to say it one more time and hopefully people will (eventually) start to pay attention.

STOP PERFORMING THE 'TOWEL TRICK' OR OVERHEARING YOUR CPU/GPU. YOU WILL PERMINENTLY DAMAGE THE CONSOLE BEYOND REPAIR!

Stop watching guides from 4 year olds on YouTube... seriously.

i didnt do either of these i was just cleaning off the old thermal paste and applying new paste and after screwing back on the heatsinks i then went to test the console but the fan wouldnt work!!you need to chill out man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭MrVestek

i didnt do either of these i was just cleaning off the old thermal paste and applying new paste and after screwing back on the heatsinks i then went to test the console but the fan wouldnt work!!you need to chill out man

That wasn't directed at you specificly but rather at the majority of people in this thread who after watching a YouTube 'tutorial' consider this a good idea.

The only reason I can think for your fan not working anymore is that either you didn't reconnect it (obvious) accidently cut the trace on the mobo for power to the fan or damaged the cable going from the fan to teh motherboard somehow.

Also if it's immediately going to a RROD then you may have the screws too tight / loose on the motherboard and be shorting something out.

What secondary error codes are you getting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I bought my console in April '06 originally got RROD in March '08. Now it's back!
    Does the 3 year warranty restart from when the console was repaired in '08?

In other words, am I still covered or not?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

Iv had my xbox just over 3 years, 2 months over warranty. It got the red lights at the weekend so is my warrant void? I was sold a faulty product so surely i can still get a replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭persie11

Iv had my xbox just over 3 years, 2 months over warranty. It got the red lights at the weekend so is my warrant void? I was sold a faulty product so surely i can still get a replacement

I thought that too but no, I tink it's an extended warranty, from 1 to 3yrs so your out of luck.

€75 to get it fixed by MS.

It's total BS for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

lol

Someone needs to read up on warranties

Thinking like that makes my job a nightmare.

Most electronics give you a 12 month warranty. You get a 3 year warranty on this machine. Electronics break, as do cards, as does everything.

Very few electronics that get as much use as an xbox have more then 3 year warranties, I'd hazard a guess at zero.

No other console has a 3 year warranty thats for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

It depends. My warranty was three years 2 months. The warranty goes from the time of construction and not the date of purchase to allow for shipping and sitting in warhouses and shops etc. So I'd act quick and go to their website to check it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

MyKeyG wrote: »
    It depends. My warranty was three years 2 months. The warranty goes from the time of construction and not the date of purchase to allow for shipping and sitting in warhouses and shops etc. So I'd act quick and go to their website to check it out.

Thats a rough guestimate the system makes.

Completely editable once a receipt can be provided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭kearney13

I'm not a mad gamer but I'm on my 4th xbox two got the rrod dvd drive broke on the other got the new slim one and no problems so far :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20 El Carlito

When I rang Mircosoft regarding my machine getting the RROD it was a couple of months over the 3 year warranty. The operator told me as it was the first time i contacted them regarding this problem they would cover the repair, free of charge.

My advice would be to ring them and see what they say, chances are they will cover the repair. :)

That said, they sent me a refurbished model back instead and 3 months later it to gets the RROD, gotta go ring them again now grrrr :mad:

El Carlito wrote: »
    That said, they sent me a refurbished model back instead and 3 months later it to gets the RROD, gotta go ring them again now grrrr :mad:
    They probably would have anyway. Both me and my neighbour were well within the three year period and we both got back refurbs.

TheDoc wrote: »
    lol

Someone needs to read up on warranties

Thinking like that makes my job a nightmare.

Most electronics give you a 12 month warranty. You get a 3 year warranty on this machine. Electronics break, as do cards, as does everything.

Very few electronics that get as much use as an xbox have more then 3 year warranties, I'd hazard a guess at zero.

No other console has a 3 year warranty thats for sure.
    I usually dont give much thought to any advice that starts wit lol. There wouldnt have to be a 3 year warranty if 30% of all xbox's didnt get the red ring

I usually dont give much thought to any advice that starts wit lol. There wouldnt have to be a 3 year warranty if 30% of all xbox's didnt get the red ring
    I agree with you. I usually dont give much thought to any advice that starts, maintains and ends with a ridiculous argument which is what the other poster did.

For his information other consoles don't have a three year warranty because their producers didn't greedily rush them through shoddy production. That's the issue here. We're not talking about a random problem expected of electrical goods. We're talking about a problem arising from poor design and construction just so Microsoft could beat Sony to the post. So lol yourself.

I have an xbox elite that i actually bought because many friends had problems with the original arcade xbox.
    A few people told me elites dont get the rrod but iv tried everything like using different av cables, different power supplies and its the same so im pretty sure its an internal problem that has to be sent to microsoft to get fixed. Im going to stop messing around with it and not try any 'quick fixes' and just send it off to be repaired monday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

well my 3rd box got the rrod - was within 1 month of going out of the 3 year warranty :D

now, after I sent my first one to be repaired those many years ago, it came back and broke within a day with the same problem. I sold that one on (with the caveat as it started to work again)

I then bought a brand new one (which is the one now RROD). 1 month left of 3 year warranty and I bet my left nut that I get a botched repair job (they are only temp after all since it's design flaw). I kept my receipt and when the return goes bang I'm getting a full refund.

read up on consumer rights guys - this is a no brainer win situation if this happens to you within the 3 year! if not, hit the small claims, print this thread as a dossier and see how it pans out ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Good luck with that who's going to have there Xbox fixed for €89.99, I do hope that includes courier to and from your repair centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,784 ✭✭✭Raoul

My second xbox just got a RROD. :mad: So p*ssed off. The standard warranty ran out in October 2008. Is the best option to go get it repaired locally? Where is the cheapest place?

esweeney wrote: »
    89.99 is not a bad price. Yes it does include courier but more importantly it is repaired by a qualified engineer and not a FBG (fix by google) as most repair centres in Dublin seem to be.

It's a ridiculous price and stop shilling your business

• Advertisement

If its a ridiculous price, where can you get it done cheaper?????

justryan wrote: »

No need to try and be smart. Was only asking for a bit of help. Obviously I want to go somewhere that comes well recommended.

You need a professional reflow/reball service shop around and ask if they use a rework station to do the repair

esweeney wrote: »
    Raoul, mr justryan obviously has some inner issues he needs to sort out for himself. Contact any repair centre and just be sure that they give you warranty on their work. Min 6 months. I'm going to leave this thread now feel free to pm me if you want to discuss further, best of luck...

Your right I have a problem with you shilling your business on this thread, you were acting like a genuine customer of 'fixitfriday' judging by the posts that followed your are in fact affiliated with that company, very underhanded marketing techniques if you ask me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

this guy looks great bga reflow 45 or reball 65 http://www.adverts.ie/repair-services/xbox-360-ps3-dsi-wii-psp-repairs-console-pros-ireland-check-our-warranties/389166 company has nothing at all got to do with me by the way i dont touch repairs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Consolepros

Yeah to be honest, reballing is the best option over 90% of Xbox 360 problems relate to the solder joints under the gpu, remove that and :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭red bellied

I bought an xbox 360 in Tesco Sligo roughly two years ago and its now suffering from rrod. Microsoft are claiming its out of warranty from 2009 around the time I bought it. Used cash to buy it from Tesco and cant find receipt. Any ideas?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,811 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Raoul wrote: »
    My second xbox just got a RROD. :mad: So p*ssed off. The standard warranty ran out in October 2008. Is the best option to go get it repaired locally? Where is the cheapest place?

Same here this morning. First one went in October 2006....it went last night and
    i just switched it back off and on again and it was fine. Thats not working this morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

got rrod last night.
    console's 3 year warranty ended in dec.
    grr.

got kinect 2 weeks ago, just sayin :rolleyes:

Advertisement