Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox 360 - 3 Red Lights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Raoul

Managed to fix the RROD using a kit off ebay and some of my engineering skills :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 brickmaster

I just got the rrod about 25 min ago.

I panickedly checked the receipt to see when I bought it.

I bought it on the 24/03/2008. The warranty doesn't run out until next week!

Score one the good guys!

Microsoft are sending UPS out to collect it next week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

I just got the rrod about 25 min ago.

I panickedly checked the receipt to see when I bought it.

I bought it on the 24/03/2008. The warranty doesn't run out until next week!

Score one the good guys!

Microsoft are sending UPS out to collect it next week
    Someone on the thread said the warranty is actually 3 years and 2 months to allow for time spent between manufacture and point of sale. So you should be well in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

OK I have a question,

My Xbox arcade has RROD. I bought it in 2009 which should give me a full year to get it fixed buttttttttt they said the xbox warranty started in 2007 :mad:

Their excuse is the shop may have had massive stock so the Xbox was probably left layin around for 18-24 months and with no proof of purchase im f***ed

Anyway my question is... can I get all the data from the Xbox with RROD onto a new Xbox? Theyre only €90 (old arcade one) in argos so if I can transfer all data like COD data etc id be happy enough to just do that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

my launch console just sufferred its second RROD. 1st one was 3 years ago and it was sent off to MS for repair, but it's well outside warranty now. Anyone recommend a repair place in County Wicklow or south Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Flancrest

IPAM wrote: »
    OK I have a question,

My Xbox arcade has RROD. I bought it in 2009 which should give me a full year to get it fixed buttttttttt they said the xbox warranty started in 2007 :mad:

Their excuse is the shop may have had massive stock so the Xbox was probably left layin around for 18-24 months and with no proof of purchase im f***ed

Anyway my question is... can I get all the data from the Xbox with RROD onto a new Xbox? Theyre only €90 (old arcade one) in argos so if I can transfer all data like COD data etc id be happy enough to just do that
    Yeah all you need to do is buy a new arcade and switch the hard drive over and bob's your second counsins girlfriend:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have no idea when I bought this Xbox 360, it's my third.
    Just rrod'd this evening.
    Its a premium with a HDMI so I might be just inside the time limit.
    Do you have to have a receipt or would the serial number suffice?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Serial no will do microsoft..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Branoic wrote: »
    my launch console just sufferred its second RROD. 1st one was 3 years ago and it was sent off to MS for repair, but it's well outside warranty now. Anyone recommend a repair place in County Wicklow or south Dublin?

I can repair this for you if you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭AndywK

ALL WARRANTY QUESTIONS ANSWERED

Ok folks, from reading this thread there appears to be alot of confusion or hearsay regarding this. I am going to try lay this out as clear as possible and this is only regarding Irish customers. Consumer law is different in the UK.

What is the warranty for my console?
    In Ireland every console has a standard two year warranty. This covers the console only. So if your discdrive wont read anymore or if you have 4 red lights it will covered. Remember the 2 year warranty only covers the console it self and not accessories.

I heard about a 3 year warranty...????

Microsoft offer a 3 year warranty for two problems and 2 problems only! This is the 1 red light with an E74 message and the 3 red lights. That is it. Thats the way it has always been and always will be.
    Again this is a 3 year warranty, not a lifetime warranty.

When does my Warranty start?
    Ok so there is two different ways the warranty is done.

1.The first one is is calculated like this. Microsoft will sell the console to the retailer and then from the moment that console has arrived in the shop Microsoft will give it 90 days untill the warranty actually begins.

2.The other one starts from the moment you buy the console form the retailer.

To be safe always keep your reciept

I have had my console repaired before, is my warranty extended????
    NO is the simple answer. If you have had 6 repairs on your console the warranty will still be from the original warranty start date.

Microsoft have my warranty wrong. I know it!!!
    The only way to proove this is with a receipt of the console purchase. If you don't have the receipt then tough. Simple as.

What about my controller,headset *insert accessory here*

1 year warranty is all you get, thats it.

How can I check my warranty?
    Go to support.xbox.com, register your console and it will display when the standard warranty ends, not the extended warranty.

My console is out of warranty..what can I do now?
    Simple. Pay for an Out of Warranty repair. What this includes is:
    All the shipping, courier and labour costs.
    Month of Xbox Live Gold.
    Extra year warranty on the console.
    It is around 20 percent cheaper to repair your console online @ support.xbox.com

I don't believe I should pay for a repair, I read on the internet its a design fault.
    You can piss and moan about this till the end of time, you will still have to pay for the repair.

Can I extend my warranty with Microsoft?
    In Ireland, no. You can buy extended warranties from the retailer but not from Microsoft. Remember that the extended warranty you purchased from Smyths,HMV etc... is between you and the retailer and not Microsoft.

In the UK, you can extend your warranty with Microsoft. 19 pound per year. Call Xbox support if you wish too.

Can I pay someone to fix my console for a cheaper price?
    Of course you can. However, doing this will completly null and void any warranty options with Microsoft. There is a seal on the console, if this seal is removed MS will not repair your console.
    Also be careful, if you do go down this route it can lead to your console being banned. It is rare yes, but it can happen. Another thing which seems to happen alot is, that you may have 2 red lights showing, you pay someone to fix it and then it seems to work for a while and all of a sudden something else could then be wrong with your console.

But I paid so much money for this, it shouldn't break.
    Yeah it sucks alright but tough. It is an electronic product with a life span. Get over it.

What about the 360S?
    Only difference is this console does not have an extended warranty. 2 years for the console itself and 1 year for the accessories

Source: I spent 10 months ammending warranties on consoles and listening to people moan about it(A job I will not miss, I guarantee you that). I know the rules because it was my field of work for 10 months.I was paid money to tell people the laws behind it. If any other people who actually have knowledge of Microsoft policies feels this needs ammendment, then please let me know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

By Xbox 360S I assume you're referring to the slim version. One question, is it possible to check online how long is left on my warranty? I'm guessing you can't but worth asking.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    bryaner wrote: »
    Serial no will do microsoft..

Last time I got mine repaired--my fifth btw, they just asked for the serial number and were able to tell if it was still in warranty.
    It's no guarantee but I guess it's down to chance.

Oh you can. Sorry I should have explained that.

Go to support.xbox.com - register your console and it will give you the end date of your warranty.

AndywK wrote: »
    Oh you can. Sorry I should have explained that.

Go to support.xbox.com - register your console and it will give you the end date of your warranty.

Thanks. I've just experianced one issue. It requires my post code but there is none for the part of Ireland where I live. I put in the name of my county but it says it's invalid and I can't register my product because of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

The post code is 000000 for Ireland

ALL WARRANTY QUESTIONS ANSWERED

Ok folks, from reading this thread there appears to be alot of confusion or hearsay regarding this. I am going to try lay this out as clear as possible and this is only regarding Irish customers. Consumer law is different in the UK.

What is the warranty for my console?
    In Ireland every console has a standard two year warranty. This covers the console only. So if your discdrive wont read anymore or if you have 4 red lights it will covered. Remember the 2 year warranty only covers the console it self and not accessories.

I heard about a 3 year warranty...????

Microsoft offer a 3 year warranty for two problems and 2 problems only! This is the 1 red light with an E74 message and the 3 red lights. That is it. Thats the way it has always been and always will be.
    Again this is a 3 year warranty, not a lifetime warranty.

When does my Warranty start?
    Ok so there is two different ways the warranty is done.

1.The first one is is calculated like this. Microsoft will sell the console to the retailer and then from the moment that console has arrived in the shop Microsoft will give it 90 days untill the warranty actually begins.

2.The other one starts from the moment you buy the console form the retailer.

To be safe always keep your reciept

I have had my console repaired before, is my warranty extended????
    NO is the simple answer. If you have had 6 repairs on your console the warranty will still be from the original warranty start date.

Microsoft have my warranty wrong. I know it!!!
    The only way to proove this is with a receipt of the console purchase. If you don't have the receipt then tough. Simple as.

What about my controller,headset *insert accessory here*

1 year warranty is all you get, thats it.

How can I check my warranty?
    Go to support.xbox.com, register your console and it will display when the standard warranty ends, not the extended warranty.

My console is out of warranty..what can I do now?
    Simple. Pay for an Out of Warranty repair. What this includes is:
    All the shipping, courier and labour costs.
    Month of Xbox Live Gold.
    Extra year warranty on the console.
    It is around 20 percent cheaper to repair your console online @ support.xbox.com

I don't believe I should pay for a repair, I read on the internet its a design fault.
    You can piss and moan about this till the end of time, you will still have to pay for the repair.

Can I extend my warranty with Microsoft?
    In Ireland, no. You can buy extended warranties from the retailer but not from Microsoft. Remember that the extended warranty you purchased from Smyths,HMV etc... is between you and the retailer and not Microsoft.

In the UK, you can extend your warranty with Microsoft. 19 pound per year. Call Xbox support if you wish too.

Can I pay someone to fix my console for a cheaper price?
    Of course you can. However, doing this will completly null and void any warranty options with Microsoft. There is a seal on the console, if this seal is removed MS will not repair your console.
    Also be careful, if you do go down this route it can lead to your console being banned. It is rare yes, but it can happen. Another thing which seems to happen alot is, that you may have 2 red lights showing, you pay someone to fix it and then it seems to work for a while and all of a sudden something else could then be wrong with your console.

But I paid so much money for this, it shouldn't break.
    Yeah it sucks alright but tough. It is an electronic product with a life span. Get over it.

What about the 360S?
    Only difference is this console does not have an extended warranty. 2 years for the console itself and 1 year for the accessories

Source: I spent 10 months ammending warranties on consoles and listening to people moan about it(A job I will not miss, I guarantee you that). I know the rules because it was my field of work for 10 months.I was paid money to tell people the laws behind it. If any other people who actually have knowledge of Microsoft policies feels this needs ammendment, then please let me know.

You're technically right at every point but you don't have to be so rude about it. And it doesn't change the fact that Microsoft rolled out a BS machine just to beat Sony. It'll be a cold day in hell before I give these people my cash again.

Im not a reprenstive of MS.
    I used to work with them
    Sometimes being rude is the only way to get the point accross.
    I dont care if you dont give them anymore, infact I am pretty sure they will get by without yours or my money.:)

Im not a reprenstive of MS.
    I used to work with them
    Sometimes being rude is the only way to get the point accross.
    I dont care if you dont give them anymore, infact I am pretty sure they will get by without yours or my money.:)
    I never said you were a rep. At least read what people are saying before you reply, there's a good little boy.

Microsoft cheated and swindled with the 360. They knew Sony were going to beat them to the launch so they brought in secrond rate soldering in order to manufacture the launch units in time. So please don't insult our intelligence by side stepping the real issue with silly excuses and supposed regulation. Microsoft can churn out all the rubbish they want either by themselves or through people like you but it doesn't make them any less a bunch of cheats.

They don't need my money? Then why did they kiss my behind when their rubbish machine went pear shaped? The fact is they knew they messed up which is why we have extended warranties and free month memberships to gold. This isn't like any other electrical product and you know it! It's the result of greed and total inconsideration to the customer.

I wil try make my intial point clearer.

It doesent matter at the end of the god damn day.

Those are the rules of the warranty, so sorry if I am being rude or arrogant but even if MS were scared of Sony for the console launch etc... It doesent change the warranty status.

You can debate the warranty all you want of course and MS designs etc... But it will change nothing at the end of the day.

And yes, MS could do without our money. If MS were to fail, ALOT of economies would feel it,so they have a huge amount of backing. So lets leave the corporate stuff to the fatcats and focus on my first post. The rules of your warranty. Farewell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Plus if you get the 3RROD, don't wrap the 360 in a towel! It makes it worse! Believe me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭neilboard

Can someone tell me is the RROD an issue with the xbox slim?

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

there have been reports of red light issues with slims.
    Give them some time though you cant really judge untill they start going out of warranty thats when you hear people ranting about it.
    Imo jasper is the most stable xbox 360 model I've heard very little about it in regard to gpu faults.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

there have been reports of red light issues with slims.
    Give them some time though you cant really judge untill they start going out of warranty thats when you hear people ranting about it.
    Imo jasper is the most stable xbox 360 model I've heard very little about it in regard to gpu faults.

+1 on the jasper, I've two consoles with it and no problems..

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭darklighter

so I just got the dreaded rrod.

went to xbox.com and registered my console and it says my standard warranty expired July 09.

does anyone know if this "standard" warranty is the 1 year or 3 year warranty?

i would ring microsoft but everytime i do, i can never understand the person that answers :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

so I just got the dreaded rrod.

went to xbox.com and registered my console and it says my standard warranty expired July 09.

does anyone know if this "standard" warranty is the 1 year or 3 year warranty?

i would ring microsoft but everytime i do, i can never understand the person that answers :(
    what is the mfr date on the console

Awh, didnt think of that massy!

Aug 2006 :eek:

I guess that rules out ms repairing it for free??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Awh, didnt think of that massy!

Aug 2006 :eek:

I guess that rules out ms repairing it for free??

defo lol
    unless you ring them up and kick up murder saying you were doing the latest update and it red ringed in the middle of it and be like this is the 3rd xbox i have bought im not buying another one

Strangely enough the last thing I did do was install the update and it took forever!

No harm in kickin up a stink i suppose :p

Anyone know what the price for an MS repair is?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

massy086 wrote: »
    what is the mfr date on the console

Their support has moved away from banglagospeakenglish and has moved to Dublin...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭ttmd

Any chance if I complain enough they will send me a slim instead of my rrod jaspar? This is my second rrod on this console and tbh, I am tired of putting up with the grief of repairing the thing. I think its reasonable that they should give me something that is not likely to break.

Advertisement