Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox 360 - 3 Red Lights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

ttmd wrote: »
    Any chance if I complain enough they will send me a slim instead of my rrod jaspar? This is my second rrod on this console and tbh, I am tired of putting up with the grief of repairing the thing. I think its reasonable that they should give me something that is not likely to break.

rrod jasper ?
    Looks like the jaspers are starting to bite the dust....only a matter of time I suppose
    Is it a proper gpu related rrod ...could you eject the drive while it had rrod.
    Back on topic they wont replace it with a slim no matter what you say you bought a fat model and thier not under any obligation legally to upgrade you.
    If its under 2 years old I think you might be able to get a refund off them and you could buy a slim with that.
    But call the consumer association of Ireland first to find out what your rights are and what your entitled to because I'm not 100% on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭ttmd

TBH, I feel sorry for anyone who has to work in Xbox customer support. Still though the quality of the machine is terrible. I just bought LA Noire and want to play deus ex aswell without undue interruption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭ttmd

rrod jasper ?
    Looks like the jaspers are starting to bite the dust....only a matter of time I suppose
    Is it a proper gpu related rrod ...could you eject the drive while it had rrod.
    Back on topic they wont replace it with a slim no matter what you say you bought a fat model and thier not under any obligation legally to upgrade you.
    If its under 2 years old I think you might be able to get a refund off them and you could buy a slim with that.
    But call the consumer association of Ireland first to find out what your rights are and what your entitled to because I'm not 100% on it.

Could'nt eject the drive no- does this mean its gpu related? What does GPU related mean as opposed to other kinds of rrod?

ttmd wrote: »
    Could'nt eject the drive no- does this mean its gpu related? What does GPU related mean as opposed to other kinds of rrod?
    Nothing that that matters in relation to your warranty its still 3 years aslong as you have red lights.
    But its not a normal rrod like the ones seen in the older models where the solder under the gpu cracks and disconnects the chip from the board from the constant heating and cooling cycles.
    Its an electrical fault you could possibly have a bad power supply and its killing your xbox if this has happened more than once.
    When you send it in for warranty repair request a new power supply just to be on the safe side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Leopardi

I'm awaiting collection of my console. Will UPS supply the box and packing?

I'm enraged by the situation. Having bought the console (a replacement for my launch day model) just under three years ago, it has seen very little use, as I usually buy multiplatform games for the PS3.

Thanks in advance . . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

UPS will give you labels, you need to supply your own box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Leopardi

Vicxas wrote: »
    UPS will give you labels, you need to supply your own box.

I assume the original box would suffice . . .

Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Leopardi wrote: »
    I assume the original box would suffice . . .

Thanks for the reply.
    Any box will suffice. but don't expect that it will necessarily be sent back in the same box. There again it may not even be the original machine. Both my neighbour and I got composite machines returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Any box that the console can fit into will do, if you send the original box you wont get it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Would appreciate some help, just acquired two x-boxs from a friend, two were broken, I fixed one without having to open it and the second has an E74 error, I managed to bypass that with the AV trick but it booted full of artifacts so I powered it down immediately. My understanding is this is under a 3 year extended warranty but I have to pay up front and then get refunded?

Has anyone managed to get xbox just to repair it, seems ridiculous that I have to essentially lend them money for them to carry out a repair on an item that's under warranty!?

Cheers

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969905
    Microsoft will refund to customers the amount paid for an Out of Warranty repair due to a general hardware failure associated with the E74 error message. Those customers should automatically receive the refund within 4-12 weeks, and no additional action by customers should be necessary. Customers can choose to receive either a refund to their credit card or a cheque refund. Cheques should be received no later than the end of July. If you have any questions regarding refund status, contact Xbox Customer Support at:

Standard warranty is January 2010 and I get this error when arranging a repair.
    Your Xbox product is not covered for this problem type.
    There will be a charge for this repair. Taxes and shipping may incur additional charges.

I'm almost tempted just to pay €35 and have it repaired locally at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Samba wrote: »
    Would appreciate some help, just acquired two x-boxs from a friend, two were broken, I fixed one without having to open it and the second has an E74 error, I managed to bypass that with the AV trick but it booted full of artifacts so I powered it down immediately. My understanding is this is under a 3 year extended warranty but I have to pay up front and then get refunded?

Has anyone managed to get xbox just to repair it, seems ridiculous that I have to essentially lend them money for them to carry out a repair on an item that's under warranty!?

Cheers

Sorry for the n00bish question but when I saw the 30 minute online chat and 20 minute telephone queue, I thought i'd ask the question here.

Thankfully chat support was quiet this morning and I wasn't waiting long. So the standard Irish warranty is 2 years and the RROD extended warranty is 3 years, essentially it's a 3 year warranty which means no free repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

Well my original Xbox 360 manufactured in oct 2005 finally died with an rrod for the last time on Stephens day, knew it was coming it had been repaired twice plus an xclamp fix and various clean outs of dust.

Managed to get a great deal on a slim tho in currys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Stokolan wrote: »
    For those People that are worried about warranty, The standard warranty is 12 months but as NekkidBibleMan said the 3 red lights has an extended warranty which is 3 years.

For those who don't know what the 3 red lights are see below.

redringofdeathvc8.jpg

I just turned on my Xbox and it's happened! I just got one red light though on the bottom right hand side. How can I fix this?!

Edit: Disaster averted for now. Looks like it was my external hard drive causing the problem. Lost all saved data that was on hard drive, but at least my xbox is back up and running!

Since last night i am now 7 out of 7 for xbox getting the 3 red lights !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Raoul

Are you still in warranty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Romor

Hi just looking for a bit of advice. My xbox got the dreaded red ring of death a few days ago for the 1st time ever. Its about 4 years old and I have only recently started playing it again after it being off for the guts of a year! So my Q is should I pay to get it fixed (been quoted 90 in Lucan & 65 in Maynooth so will obviously go with the cheaper) or should I look at replacing the console? Have the rectified the heating issue in the new machines? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

Romor wrote: »
    Hi just looking for a bit of advice. My xbox got the dreaded red ring of death a few days ago for the 1st time ever. Its about 4 years old and I have only recently started playing it again after it being off for the guts of a year! So my Q is should I pay to get it fixed (been quoted 90 in Lucan & 65 in Maynooth so will obviously go with the cheaper) or should I look at replacing the console? Have the rectified the heating issue in the new machines? Thanks

I live in Kilcock and have opened my 360 before. I haven't fixed the rrod before.

I know what to do and can get hold of the parts needed to do it. I'll fix it for you if you like. Let me know.

It'll be for a much lower fee than you've been quoted.

I just turned on my Xbox and it's happened! I just got one red light though on the bottom right hand side. How can I fix this?!

Edit: Disaster averted for now. Looks like it was my external hard drive causing the problem. Lost all saved data that was on hard drive, but at least my xbox is back up and running!

Happened me too. If you open the hard drive case and remove and reconnect the SATA cable it fixes it. Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Romor

I live in Kilcock and have opened my 360 before. I haven't fixed the rrod before.

I know what to do and can get hold of the parts needed to do it. I'll fix it for you if you like. Let me know.

It'll be for a much lower fee than you've been quoted.

Hi Jan, yea think I'll give you a shout so. I had read all the self fixes on the web and I am engineer so thought I might be able to tackle it myself but a mate told me that the self fixes generally don't work or only fix it temporarily. Would be great to see what you do too. PMing you my contacts. Thanks

By the way, if anyone has a RROD xbox that hasn't been opened and wishes to get rid of it. Pm me and i'll discuss things with you.

PS: Sorry mods if this isn't allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

By the way, if anyone has a RROD xbox that hasn't been opened and wishes to get rid of it. Pm me and i'll discuss things with you.

PS: Sorry mods if this isn't allowed.

I should hope you are repairing them with a bga rework station, heatguns and bolts/screws won't give a long-term fix

justryan wrote: »
    I should hope you are repairing them with a bga rework station, heatguns and bolts/screws won't give a long-term fix

Ya justryan is right DIY fixes are a waste of time,
    Tried them all myself before giving up on them and buying the proper equipment for the job.

A popular misconception is that the x clamps cause rrod - they dont rrod is down to the solder composition manufacturers must use now by law.
    Screws,washers and heatguns just make the whole problem even worse.
    The only way to fix these problems properly is to reflow or reball the BGA chips on a BGA rework station and put the x clamps back in.

Happened me too. If you open the hard drive case and remove and reconnect the SATA cable it fixes it. Hope this helps.

That only works if the console is displaying E68
    99.99% of the time with red lights this does nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Waesfjord

Hi,

Can someone plese revert of they offer a repair and advise on cost and what work is completed (i.e. reflow existing solder or replace/reball the solder), using a BGA rework station. I'm based in Dublin 15 so woudl prefer local repair to keep costs minimal.

The Xbox360 Pro is well outside warranty (Mar 2009) as just checked online on MS website.

When I lifted out the Xbox to get S/N, I hear a rattle inside - could this be the GPU after coming loose?

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

If your interested in having this fixed I do reballing which involves cleaning off the old lead free solder on both the motherboard and GPU, and replacing the lead free spheres with lead and reattaching the GPU to the motherboard, the work is carried out with a professional bga rework station.

This is by far the best fix you can get and your Xbox is guaranteed to last for a long, long time. Anyways, if your interested just send me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭muskyj

anyone know where to get rrod repair done around galway city without being too expensive. checked online to see if i could have a go at it myself but with all the different fixes etc i don't feel confident trying to fix it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

today I moved my xbox from one room to the other (its a travelling console and moves around a lot with me) but today when I turned it on in the new location, it displayed the 3RL. I took out the game, powercycled and reseated cables but it didn't work.

Then... I removed the cabled, picked it up and shook it. :D Plugged it back in and its working perfectly. Its an old console, probably 1st edition, used often, moved often etc. this is the first thing that's gone wrong with it. It's been running perfectly for 4 hours since I "fixed" it :D

Skinfull wrote: »
    today I moved my xbox from one room to the other (its a travelling console and moves around a lot with me) but today when I turned it on in the new location, it displayed the 3RL. I took out the game, powercycled and reseated cables but it didn't work.

Then... I removed the cabled, picked it up and shook it. :D Plugged it back in and its working perfectly. Its an old console, probably 1st edition, used often, moved often etc. this is the first thing that's gone wrong with it. It's been running perfectly for 4 hours since I "fixed" it :D

Often happens when people drop down there 360's to me for repair.
    They have rrod and sometimes they get a belt in the car on the way down which gets them working again for a while.
    Might last a few minutes or it may last a few hours.
    But I've never seen them last longer than a day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Often happens when people drop down there 360's to me for repair.
    They have rrod and sometimes they get a belt in the car on the way down which gets them working again for a while.
    Might last a few minutes or it may last a few hours.
    But I've never seen them last longer than a day

challenge_accepted.gif

• Advertisement

Skinfull wrote: »
    challenge_accepted.gif

check in here this afternoon and tell us if its still sucking diesel :)

Advertisement