Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox 360 - 3 Red Lights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    i genuinely laughed out loud at cooking an xbox motherboard! why o why didnt you just send it back again!?!?!

Its been getting a good laugh here at work too, funnily enough someone even offered to buy it off me!

Its warranty was void, who ever had it before me had the warranty voided ( for what reason i dont know, i presume it has a flashed drive but to be honest i havent checked. I'll check this weekend though.

Snake it souns like you need to turn on your oven!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Yeah smyths said if theres more problems to bring it back but they would need to see it not working instore before they changed it, funnily enough it used to crash before loading screen but when i took it in it loaded up and when i took it home again it loaded up again but then decided to crash the first time i tried to get into a car :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Snake it souns like you need to turn on your oven!!

Don't think Mrs Snake would be too happy with the smell of melting Caps ;)

I'll continue with the re-heat adjustment of screws on mine until I either fry the GPU or sort it out once and for all. I have to say sometimes I feel like saying damn it and head out and buy an Arcade version, but its fun trying to keep a launch box working :o

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

F uck F uck F uck.

Just got the Three red rings of death while playing Half Life 2.

I can't find the receipt anywhere. Will this stop me from getting a replacement?

This bloody sucks.

I wouldn't mind but GTA IV should be popping in my letterbox in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

No man you should be fine just need the serial check the microsoft site, it has 3 years warranty on the rrod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

jayteecork wrote: »
    I can't find the receipt anywhere. Will this stop me from getting a replacement?
    Where did you buy it? I think in places like Smyths and Game your reward card's record of the purchase can be used as a receipt. I remember somebody telling me that.

But yeah MS will repair it either way.

I don't have a reward card either.

Looks like I'm ringing Microsoft Monday.

Just registered my serial number there and my warranty expires on # Warranty Expiration: 10/6/2008 7:59:59 PM - love the way they have the warranty timed to the second. :)

Lol. Only bought it last November.

edit: Just turned it back on there. Xbox works fine until I put in a disc. Then RROD again. I can arcade games ok seemingly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Just registered my serial number there and my warranty expires on # Warranty Expiration: 10/6/2008 7:59:59 PM

Lol. Only bought it last November.
    Yeah, mine was wrong as well. Mention it when you ring them but it doesn't really matter, MS will cover 360s for RROD for 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Where did you buy it? I think in places like Smyths and Game your reward card's record of the purchase can be used as a receipt. I remember somebody telling me that.

Argh, argh, argh.

The Smyths Loyalty card does not record transactions. In all likelyhood the card was received as part of a bundle offer with the machine. The Smyths card offers a discount of 10% in the first week of a game's release, and 2.5% from then on, and that's all. There's no record of the transaction available to the staff.

However.... if you bought it by credit card, you can ring your credit card company for a statement. It won't be itemised, but if the sum matches a bundle offer price, the staffer might let you away with it if you're really, really nice to them.

That said, as has been stated RROD'ed consoles are covered for 3 years. Contact your local store to ask whether they have a replacement service, and they might replace it on the day, rather than having to tussle with Microsoft. I'd advise ye to ring ahead to make sure, and once again, be really, really nice to them. They have junkies yelling at them a lot, and their employer treats them like crap. Don't make their day any worse if they have to say no to you.

;)

• Advertisement

The Smyths Loyalty card does not record transactions. In all likelyhood the card was received as part of a bundle offer with the machine. The Smyths card offers a discount of 10% in the first week of a game's release, and 2.5% from then on, and that's all. There's no record of the transaction available to the staff.
    Yeah I wasn't sure about Smyths. I think it must have been in Game that I was told that.

Argh, argh, argh.

However.... if you bought it by credit card, you can ring your credit card company for a statement. It won't be itemised, but if the sum matches a bundle offer price, the staffer might let you away with it if you're really, really nice to them.

That said, as has been stated RROD'ed consoles are covered for 3 years. Contact your local store to ask whether they have a replacement service, and they might replace it on the day, rather than having to tussle with Microsoft. I'd advise ye to ring ahead to make sure, and once again, be really, really nice to them. They have junkies yelling at them a lot, and their employer treats them like crap. Don't make their day any worse if they have to say no to you.

;)

Paid cash.

Just tore my room apart looking for the receipt, no joy.

Microsoft is my only hope.

Is it true you could waiting up to 6 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Ring your local Smyths, explain that you've lost your receipt, and ask them for advice. You've nothing to lose...

(and remember - nice. Be nice...)

Is it true you could waiting up to 6 weeks?
    Plenty of horror stories but I sent mine off about 10 days ago and it's on it's way back now. Whether it's actually fixed is another matter though...

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Br@nkin

A mate of mine just bought an xbox 360 before the arcade box and the newer ones came out, so I'm thinking of buying a broken xbox off ebay and using his warranty to try and return it to gamestop/smyths or where ever he bought it... What do you guys think? Will this work?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Br@nkin wrote: »
    A mate of mine just bought an xbox 360 before the arcade box and the newer ones came out, so I'm thinking of buying a broken xbox off ebay and using his warranty to try and return it to gamestop/smyths or where ever he bought it... What do you guys think? Will this work?

Well the problem is that the serial numbers will clash, which may well cause a problem down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Br@nkin

Ah. Would the serial number be on the xbox and the receipt? I think I'd be getting the box that the xbox came with in the auction also?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Br@nkin wrote: »
    Ah. Would the serial number be on the xbox and the receipt? I think I'd be getting the box that the xbox came with in the auction also?

The serial number is on the back of the xbox itself, probably wouldn't be on the reciept (although there is a gap on the box to check the SN). Its the only number you need for a repair order - no reciepts necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Xboxs bought on ebay are actually quite expensive. Especially when you factor in postage.

I picked up a 360 at christmas for my sisters kids. It was pre-owned from game. My sister then managed to get a Wii at christmas and asked me to hold onto it till May for their birthday. So we did that they get the Xbox and were delighted with it. It lasted 1 day and then the 3 red rings .
    We put the serial into the xbox website and it said out of warrenty.
    So the only other come back is Game. But the big thing is , we dont have the reciept . But we still have the warrenty sticker on the back of it.

• Advertisement

We put the serial into the xbox website and it said out of warrenty.
    Doesn't matter. That's just the standard 1 year warranty. As said already all 360s are covered for 3 years by MS for RROD. MS will fix it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

Hey folks, got the three red lights of joy yesterday :) I was looking through a clip in the Halo 3 theatre and it kept crashing, then I loaded up GTA IV, crashed and when I turned it on again there they were all happy and pleased to see me. :p I'm just within a year from when I purchased it from Xtravision so I'm going to see if I can return it, ideally swap it for a core so I can keep my hard drive.
    Anyone return theirs to Xtravision? I've read through the thread and I see Game, Gamestop and Smyths but no Xtravision.
    I'll give them a call this evening and see what the craic is. Hopefully they will submit to my will and not offer futile resistance ;)

Okay I just got off the phone to Xtra Vision. My receipt is dated 23rd of May last year so they said they'd take the Xbox off me and send it away for me. It sounds like they're just going to send it back to Microsoft for me. They said I can't get a replacement from them as it's outside the 28 days they have written on their receipt.
    I didn't want to argue the toss on the phone as she said I'd be talking to a manager when I bring it in anyway but am I not entitled to a replacement as it's within a year? Or are they covered because they're replacing it through Microsoft? :confused:
    I was hoping by returning it to the store I'd get a brand new model, possibly a low power one if I was really lucky, as opposed to a refurb which is what I'd get from Microsoft.

Okay I just got off the phone to Xtra Vision. My receipt is dated 23rd of May last year so they said they'd take the Xbox off me and send it away for me. It sounds like they're just going to send it back to Microsoft for me. They said I can't get a replacement from them as it's outside the 28 days they have written on their receipt.
    I didn't want to argue the toss on the phone as she said I'd be talking to a manager when I bring it in anyway but am I not entitled to a replacement as it's within a year? Or are they covered because they're replacing it through Microsoft? :confused:
    I was hoping by returning it to the store I'd get a brand new model, possibly a low power one if I was really lucky, as opposed to a refurb which is what I'd get from Microsoft.

Your better off dealing with Microsoft yourself as you can track the progress of your 360 through their system, they will send you out labels and you can attached them to your 360 to return a courier will collect it and you can track its progress from there, it would wreck my head having to get info from Xtravision on my xbox, do you think the staff would really chase microsoft for when your 360 would be returned.
    so go on Microsofts xbox site and follow the instructions on there.

Your better off dealing with Microsoft yourself as you can track the progress of your 360 through their system, they will send you out labels and you can attached them to your 360 to return a courier will collect it and you can track its progress from there, it would wreck my head having to get info from Xtravision on my xbox, do you think the staff would really chase microsoft for when your 360 would be returned.
    so go on Microsofts xbox site and follow the instructions on there.

Whilst that is a concern I like the fact that I don't have to take 2 days off work waiting on a courier (sending + receiving xbox). Returned an ipod there recently and they didn't call until 2.30 in the afternoon! I think I might be able to track the 360 anyway as I've registered it on the repairs site online. So when they send it back I should be able to see the status of the one with my serial code.

Well we contacted Microsoft about the pre-owned Xbox 30 we bought and the 3 red rings. They told us because the Xbox was registered to somebody else , it will cost us €130 to get fixed . It is also still in Warrenty .

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Shamo

Well we contacted Microsoft about the pre-owned Xbox 30 we bought and the 3 red rings. They told us because the Xbox was registered to somebody else , it will cost us €130 to get fixed . It is also still in Warrenty .

If you have the details of the person you bought it off, you could try asking them to ring up and change the registered name and address (if possible).

I'd go back to game and see if they have the details of the person who traded it in, otherwise I'd try and get game to try and sort it for you as it is still covered under microsoft 3ROD warrenty, push them hard on it as the machine is not fit for use.
    failing that get someone to open it up plug out the cooling fans wait till the 3 rings go to 2 rings and leave it for 3 minutes it should cool down and hopefully work again.

Ok so got the 3 Red Lights Saturday night. Tried again Sunday and it was working again, no red lights. Grand Theft Auto IV came on Monday and threw it on. Red Lights came back. A few hours later I tried again. It's been working fine ever since.

Is it a common occurence to have the 3 red lights come and go like that?

• Advertisement

Is it a common occurence to have the 3 red lights come and go like that?
    Yeah but it'll die eventually. So start getting the coffin ready.

Advertisement