Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox 360 - 3 Red Lights

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 benhass

I bought a xbox off my brother a month ago it was his second one in 2 years as the 1st one got RROD and now this one has RROD since yesterday, the console has been chipped, is there any way of getting MS to repair it without them noticing the chip or could i use the repair kits on sale on ebay and do it myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ballybay_eh

After a year and a half mine displayed the RROD. Sent it off for repair just over two weeks ago and got it back on Wednesday. Great service.

Except for the fact that it broke again the very next day. I don't want to curse on the forum but I'm absolutely livid! :mad:

What sort of service is that. I got the standard letter with it telling me that its been tested for over two hours by both man and machine? Tested for what? STD's?

The whole things compounded by the fact that I bought GTA4 the other day too.

Sickened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭triv88

I brought my xbox console into gsmsolutionsltd.com for repair,they ripped me off big time!!!!:mad:.It had the 4 rings which i initially dumbly thought was the same as the threee rings.After a month they said the charge was standard fee of 75 plus 30 for parts.

After reading here ,was all i needed to do was to put the cable in correctly?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

In fairness a standard fee is a standard fee but €30 for parts, plain rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

benhass wrote: »
    I bought a xbox off my brother a month ago it was his second one in 2 years as the 1st one got RROD and now this one has RROD since yesterday, the console has been chipped, is there any way of getting MS to repair it without them noticing the chip or could i use the repair kits on sale on ebay and do it myself?

If you pull of the front faceplate and the Hologram sticker is ok then you might be fine, also you need to find out from your brother was the console actually chipped or was the DVD rom drive flashed? Flashing is the usual method used. If it was only flashed and the holgram looks fine I'd send it back as with the 3ROD they won't check the Drive.
    One final thing was the console banned of M$? If it was they might not repair it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

triv88 wrote: »
    I brought my xbox console into gsmsolutionsltd.com for repair,they ripped me off big time!!!!:mad:.It had the 4 rings which i initially dumbly thought was the same as the threee rings.After a month they said the charge was standard fee of 75 plus 30 for parts.

After reading here ,was all i needed to do was to put the cable in correctly?!?!

Those boys are serious cowboys. I was reading some bad stories about them in the Personal media player forum.

I will repair the RROd for anybody 's whos console is out of warranty if you want, give me a pm (hopefully i wont have to cook it :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ageary08

My Xbox went tits up on the 6th of may, got it back on the 16th, seems fine now, got a month of xbl too, I woulda prefered some MS points so I could get a nice Arcade game, such is life tho. I just hope it doesnt die again.

Morals of the story:
    -XBox elite is just as likely to die it seems
    -Ask MS to email you a label and send it in your own package, with a bit of luck you`ll have it shipped same day, should speed the whole thing up
    -If its gonna die, your xbox is gonna die just after you get a kick ass game (GTA4), and you`ll be up the walls with work when you finally get the bloody thing back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

My elite went tits up last night.:mad:
    Was rearranging my room and swapping my tv to where my pc was (tv point).
    Switched on my xbox and bing ..3 red lights.. and it didn't get a bang or anything.
    This is my 2nd elite..first one I only have two days when it went..smyths replaced it straight away..hopefully they'll do the same tomorrow as it's only about 6 months old.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Switched on my xbox and bing ..3 red lights.. and it didn't get a bang or anything.
    Are you sure it's the 3 red lights and not 4? Is it possible you didn't reconnect the video cable properly after moving it?

SP

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Got an email saying my console is being sent back from Germany, only sent it last Monday. The tracking number they gave me isn't working though.

• Advertisement

Are you sure it's the 3 red lights and not 4? Is it possible you didn't reconnect the video cable properly after moving it?

SP

nope.. 3 red lights...the one in the top right quadrant is not lit..just like all the others.. anyway back to smyths it goes:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭penguin-o7

has anyone any ever had any problems with Xbox ireland i have been waiting nearly 60 days since i called them first. i rang them twice and i emailed them twice, speled out my name address and number twice, anyone any ideas where to go from here or will i just keep ringing them.
    because its taking the pisss now. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

and mine is gone AGAIN!

1st one back with faulty dvd drive - fixed
    1st one RROD - replacment sent
    2nd one RROD within 2 weeks. its off to the small claims court!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

PS3 for me when I get a few bob together.
    RROD and the noise the 360 makes did it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

00sully wrote: »
    and mine is gone AGAIN!

1st one back with faulty dvd drive - fixed
    1st one RROD - replacment sent
    2nd one RROD within 2 weeks. its off to the small claims court!

Unlucky man, happened me too. The "brand new" replacement they sent me, was new, never used before. But it was manufactured in 2006 :rolleyes: Which means it's still a dodgey model, even if it has not been used before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

arf me too IrishGrumpy - spent a good while arguing with a supervisor over the fact my "brand new" console was manufactured in 2006. what a joke. you'd wanna hear what the latest conversation i had went like "sir, you should expect that things like this may break" wtf?

anywho, i've now officially gone legal on this. thats all i can stand till i can stands no more!

interesting read here lads http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Learning_Zone/FAQs/Faulty_goods/
    especially qs 3.

or you can bend over some more if you haven't had enough :-P

nope.. 3 red lights...the one in the top right quadrant is not lit..just like all the others.. anyway back to smyths it goes:(

Rang Smyths and told them the problem. Guy inside told me to call in and he'd give me a new one. Didn't even have a receipt as I said I was just after moving house and everything was up in the air..

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

After leaving my Xbox back to Xtravision a week ago I collected it the other day as they couldn't return it to Microsoft for me. So I've to do it myself. How they didn't know this was the case to begin with and why they wasted my time is another matter entirely. :mad:

Anyway mine will be in the courier's hands tomorrow. Is the end result of all this that they're going to keep breaking until you get your hands on one with the more recent chipset? I've seen in several places that people's refurbs have a far shorter lifespan than the original console.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

The elite still suffers too...a friend of mine had an elite that received the three red light problem

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Morf3h

Hey guys got the three lines this evening and had a bit of a freak out! I've had the console since launch day and never had a problem until tonight. It was a heat problem i think the console was really really hot so i left it outside for a while and when i turned it back on it was grand.

Double check that it's not just overheated before you go calling MS!

• Advertisement

Morf3h wrote: »
    Hey guys got the three lines this evening and had a bit of a freak out! I've had the console since launch day and never had a problem until tonight. It was a heat problem i think the console was really really hot so i left it outside for a while and when i turned it back on it was grand.

Double check that it's not just overheated before you go calling MS!

Mine dipped into a few red rings before going full on red ring exactly the same as you describe. I'd say yours is just dipping in too before making the plunge but hopefully that is not the case and she'll stay green :D

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Morf3h

Mine dipped into a few red rings before going full on red ring exactly the same as you describe. I'd say yours is just dipping in too before making the plunge but hopefully that is not the case and she'll stay green :D

You b@stard! jinxed me! :) 100% right you were anyway, red lights again this afternoon. Have requested a repair on the microsoft site for registering devices. We'll see what happens!

M

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Silver Serpent

I entered the red light district recently and called Microsoft last Friday to arrange a repair.

I chose for the labels to be mailed, so does that mean the courier will have them or they'll come in the post for me to attach, and then I call UPS to arrange collection?

The thing is, when I log into my account at xbox.com, there is a UPS tracking number there for the package already, with it's current tracking status saying 'Not ready for collection on first attempt. A second attempt will be made'. That was of yesterdays date.

Does this mean UPS have the labels?

Nobody called to my house yesterday, and there was someone here all days, so I don't what the story is with the whole procedure like.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Mailed or e-mailed? If mailed (snail) then they'll come in the post I believe. It's better to get them e-mailed, you just print it out, it's much easier/quicker.

You can call UPS to arrange a time for them to pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I entered the red light district recently.

I love it! :pac:

koneko wrote: »
    Mailed or e-mailed? If mailed (snail) then they'll come in the post I believe. It's better to get them e-mailed, you just print it out, it's much easier/quicker.

You can call UPS to arrange a time for them to pick it up.

I asked them to be snailed unfortunately, as before contacting Microsoft I read the first page of this thread where one poster recommended not getting them e-mailed n said the courier would have the labels, so I went with that.

I'm sorry now I didn't get them e-mailed.

Just checked the tracking number now again and says Unavailable for collection on the 2nd attempt, a 3rd collection attempt will be made.

I suppose UPS are waiting for me to contact them once I receive the labels in the post?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

If that's what the tracking page says you might as well give them a call now, and ask if they have the label or ask them to wait until you get the label. With me, it never said that on the page, they waited for me to initiate a collection (or drop it in to them).

koneko wrote: »
    If that's what the tracking page says you might as well give them a call now, and ask if they have the label or ask them to wait until you get the label. With me, it never said that on the page, they waited for me to initiate a collection (or drop it in to them).

I called UPS and the woman said 2 collection attempts were made, to which I replied nobody called to the house.

I asked her did the courier have a phone number, she said no, so he probably couldn't find the house. I also asked if he had the labels and she said he has them.

Courier phoned shortly after I made that call and said he'd be around tomorrow to collect it.

I suppose I should have asked him directly if he had the labels, but seeing as the woman on the phone said he did, I didn't bother.

I hope to hell he does have them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

Hello all.

My Xbox froze on Monday and when turning it on today, I was met with one red light (player two' spot). I bought it in November of this year and have all the packaging, warranties etc., but not the receipt, as I lost all my receipts recently. :(

Can I still get a replacement via MS without proof of purchase? Sounds silly, but I'm quite ignorant regarding legal entitlements and such.

I'm going to ring them tomorrow or Friday, but I want to sound like I know what Im talking about before I do. So if anyone could let me know where I stand on the issue, that'd be great.

Any suggestions at all infact, would be helpful, thanks!

Sean

• Advertisement

You should be all right. I never had to show my receipt even though I had it when I returned mine. For some reason they had a date 2 weeks after when I bought it as my warranty start date :confused:

Advertisement