Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath Slang

Options
  • 18-12-2007 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

So anyone got any slang terms specific to Meath.

such as the one made famous by tommy tiernan 'the sneer'
    as in 'come on, we're going down the town for the sneer'

'Now you're sucking diesel' ( i have heard this originated in Balivor, not sure about the truth of that though)

My dad always used to use the word 'Prog' for stealing as in 'progging apples' - I have never, ever heard that anywhere else

And what about those phrases
    You know the ones about bad footballers, etc, like 'Jaysus, he wouldn't kick doors on Halloween night' etc.

I'm just interested to see if you have used some phrases and people from other parts of the country have looked at you strange.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭K_P

Referring to other people as horse or horsebox. My favourite being the paragon of elegance, brevity and sophistication that is: "Howiya hossbox?" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

you forgot "I'm gettin' me maaaarrss baaaarr and me snik-rz"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

I'm from Meath, and, so far, I'm utterly astounded by these words and phrases: those I do know can be heard all over the country, and those I don't, well, I've never heard Meath people use them. I'll get back with some examples later on, when I have more time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Example situation; *drinks down pint* "Ahhhhh yore an animal!" :D

Most of these are country wide slang, and not meath specific.

I do a fair bit of business in Naaaaaavan, and find that its the accent, rather then then expressions which are entertaining.

No stars for this thread so far, seems like a cheap knock off of this thread.. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭mickrourke

Most of these are country wide slang, and not meath specific.

I do a fair bit of business in Naaaaaavan, and find that its the accent, rather then then expressions which are entertaining.

No stars for this thread so far, seems like a cheap knock off of this thread.. :(

Ok, I must admit though i hadn't seen that thread, and there's no harm in getting a bit of conversation flowing on an otherwise slow forum. And the same words in different counties can have different meanings.
    For example
    How about 'Nail ye'
    In my area of the country it means to get jiggy with, I know in Dublin, some parts, it means to beat the crap out of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I'm off to skull a few pints! :p

Ha, I used Skull too
    How about 'Sound as a trout'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

K_P wrote: »
    Referring to other people as horse or horsebox. My favourite being the paragon of elegance, brevity and sophistication that is: "Howiya hossbox?" :D

I first encountered that one in Bagenalstown, Co. Carlow :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

That fellas moon
    In other words, that fella is a bit mad:D

• Advertisement

In culinary circles, anyone here know what a Boardsmill is? Residents of Trim, Ballivor, Athboy, and Summerhill will probably be most familiar with the term.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 runforcover

A battered sausage with red sauce and onions served in de best chipper ever the "hot n tender". I think i might go n get one now

A battered sausage with red sauce and onions served in de best chipper ever the "hot n tender". I think i might go n get one now

Well done rfc, beautifully put. Also available in the Castle, although I think it was first crafted in HNT, and a fine art they've made of it!

Other things peculiar to Meath... I don't think I've ever heard anyone from any other part of the country refer to violent actions as "ructions", and a lot of people in these parts say it, so I guess that's kind of a Meath thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭gipi

I remember ructions as a nipper, but as I grew up close to the Meath border, maybe it was a bit of leakage!

Anyone else ever heard the use of the word "clim" - a mix of clip and trim - when describing the cutting short of an event, meeting, presentation, lecture, social activity, etc? I've only ever heard it used by a Royal native!

upmeath wrote: »
    Other things peculiar to Meath... I don't think I've ever heard anyone from any other part of the country refer to violent actions as "ructions", and a lot of people in these parts say it, so I guess that's kind of a Meath thing.

Yeah my ma used to say ructions all right - now that you mention it, i haven't heard anyone outside Meath using it. If they did, there'd be ructions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Mr. Brightside

Things which may or may not be confined to the area surrounding my village, I've never heard them elsewhere:

'Again' meaning by the time eg. 'Im going shopping in Dublin and again I come home it'll be too late to go out'. Also as an abbreviation for 'against' eg We were playing again Simonstown. 'Again the wind'.

'Adin' - at in. eg. 'Wheres Tommy? Hes adin (in) Navan'. I've heard people say 'adin in Navan' and 'adin Navan', depends on the person.

'Horrid' - very, generally in a bad way but not confined to it eg. Its horrid warm today. 'I got a horrid good deal'.

Things which may or may not be confined to the area surrounding my village, I've never heard them elsewhere:

'Again' meaning by the time eg. 'Im going shopping in Dublin and again I come home it'll be too late to go out'. Also as an abbreviation for 'against' eg We were playing again Simonstown. 'Again the wind'.

'Adin' - at in. eg. 'Wheres Tommy? Hes adin (in) Navan'. I've heard people say 'adin in Navan' and 'adin Navan', depends on the person.

'Horrid' - very, generally in a bad way but not confined to it eg. Its horrid warm today. 'I got a horrid good deal'.

Yup used the adin and horrid and shocking (in place of horrid)

I don't think "again" is confined to Meath, it's pretty common in other parts of the country.

It's like the further south/southwest you go in the county the more you tend to hear of the Kildare/Offaly dialect, things like "folly" and "windy" in place of "follow" and "window", but then I'm beginning to blur the borders too if I'm borrowing other county slang

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Gijoe

Adin is a good one - mate from Duleek introudced me to it. I kinda started using it. I'm from Trim. It can be combined with the word Trun so if 2 lads are talking in a pub and they see a hot girl:
    Lad 1: "Jaysus - would ya look at her. Would ya?"
    Lad 2: "Ah yeah, I'd trun adin"

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

mickrourke wrote: »
    So anyone got any slang terms specific to Meath.

such as the one made famous by tommy tiernan 'the sneer'
    as in 'come on, we're going down the town for the sneer'

'Now you're sucking diesel' ( i have heard this originated in Balivor, not sure about the truth of that though)

quote]

actually it comes from killyon the old petrol station there ( mitchells)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

what about "spot on, no bother boy! " - pure nobber!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 T-max

or 'Stop the lights' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Ructions would be used in North Dublin as well ( Swords, Balbriggan etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 fair fairy

ah sure jeasus hes only a gaaasun!!! (young boy) Definately "cheers no bother.." very nobber!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭robpurf

dont know if there exclusive to meath or what but my father used to come out with some of the following

"he wouldnt get a ball in elverys" to describe a particularly bad footballer

"im going to shave ****e cut sticks and wash me hair" getting ready to go out

"all dogs shot by balls of their own ****e" er im totally lost on that one to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭abitlonely

robpurf wrote: »

"all dogs shot by balls of their own ****e" er im totally lost on that one to be honest

as in "He should be brought out and shot with balls of his own ****e"

I do say 'agin' myself for against. It could come from the Irish i gcoin(ne).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭robpurf

abitlonely wrote: »
    as in "He should be brought out and shot with balls of his own ****e"

I do say 'agin' myself for against. It could come from the Irish i gcoin(ne).

thanks for that i always wondered what he was on about.

how about atin insted of anything then as in

"i didnt say atin"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 holylucifer

Yarhh, I'm off to skull a few pints!! :pac:

Anyways,i been to meath for a holiday about 2 weeks ago,nice and green,dad complained about lack of signs,well yea...did not notice meath slang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭abitlonely

Yarhh, I'm off to skull a few pints!! :pac:

Anyways,i been to meath for a holiday about 2 weeks ago,nice and green,dad complained about lack of signs,well yea...did not notice meath slang.

Janey Mack, I've never known anyone to holiday in Meath. What'd you do, go the racing?

• Advertisement

"Crater" as a bye-word for "Creature"
    e.g. "Would you bring the poor crather in outta the cold?"
    (usually referring to a cat or dog)

My grandad has a habit of saying "Compares" in place of "Compared"
    e.g. "That new pen knife isn't worth a damn compares to the one I lost"

Advertisement