Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What channel is TNA Shown on in IRE?(Now The All-Purpose TNA Rant and Defence Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

EdK wrote: »
    Especially when Joe's "girlfriend" had never been mentioned upto then if Joe had broken Karens ankle people might have cared alittle more (oh the irony)

Yeah, if Karen had been in TNA at that stage and it was established that she was very important to Kurt, then Joe (the heel at the time) hurting her in some way would allow the fans to sympathise with Kurt and get behind him when he sought revenge on Joe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Karen actually broke her ankle last week at impact for those of you that was wasted on lol, its true what you say though Fozy sometimes i think companies should hire fans to book hehe

Yeah, I'd heard about Karen's ankle, some sites ran with the headline "Angle Breaks Ankle", which I'm sure got a few fans worried!

Some promotion, I'm thinking IWA-Mid South (where a lot of TNA guys worked a couple of years ago), said that they're holding a competition and whoever wins will get to book a show next year. They'll just get to pick the matches and any stipulations though. Giving the fans power isn't smart in my opinion! Although I do think that there are a good few fans who could do better than TNA are doing right now

Anyway Tna is on Bravo 2 9pm on Saturday lol

Bravo 2 isn't it?

Thats what i said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Dave Meltzer just lost his mind watching the show: www.wrestlingobserver.com

When you get there, you'll know where to click.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

So it was wretched and cool.

Ya,makes sense.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

nedtheshed wrote: »

Ya,makes sense.

Made sense to me anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

nedtheshed wrote: »

Ya,makes sense.

:rolleyes:

Read Jeff Hamlins review of the show on the left. He explains it pretty well as to whats wrong with the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

I may just watch this for the sake of it as I have the day off and not much else to do. Now I remember what I did when I was unemployed, I watched TNA.

Haha, Dave hardly ever loses it on the site. It sounds way too overbooked from the recap on the site, I've found that I generally agree with the guy who writes the reviews whenever I watch Impact (I think I've just got masochistic tendencies). Here's the guy's summary of the show:
    A few words are necessary regarding the Styles-Kaz match. It’s fine if TNA wants to do a comedy show. I don’t like them all, but it’s necessary to deviate from the norm. But when Styles is killing himself with some of the most dangerous bumps he’ll ever take in nothing more than a comedy match, then it not only shows poor awareness. It shows that Vince Russo still thinks that anyone can be a pro wrestler. That suplex bump over the top onto the ladder should be limited to a PPV only. Period. Doing it on Impact is a waste, and doing it on a comedy show in a comedy match is borderline insensitive.
    The creative team continues to live in a trance. Booking nothing but gimmick matches ruins their effectiveness. Again, there’s nothing wrong with deviating from the norm every now and then. That’s why they’re called “specialty matches.” Because they’re meant to be special. When the unusual becomes the norm, then it defeats the purpose. I wish someone could teach this to the creative team, and Russo in particular. But it was Albert Einstein who said insanity consists of “doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.” And insanity is what we’ve received from the TNA creative team in 2007.

Double C wrote: »
    I may just watch this for the sake of it as I have the day off and not much else to do. Now I remember what I did when I was unemployed, I watched TNA.

That would encourage most people to get a job alright

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

People were complaining a few weeks ago that ladder matches, cage matches and TLC matches were saved for PPV. You lot can never be satisfied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭rizzla

I thought the iMPACT Xmas special was a good light hearted show. I agree with the review guy mentioning the fact that Styles was taking some dangerous bumps and they where entirely un-neccesary but serious injuries can happpen in any form of match and can come from any type of move. Plus there was way to much gimmicky crap.

I did like the backstage segments though. I always had a smile on my face and some points made me lol.

It was a very entertaining show.

Only part I didn't like was the Silent Night, Bloody Night match, it was a complete dud.

• Advertisement

People were complaining a few weeks ago that ladder matches, cage matches and TLC matches were saved for PPV. You lot can never be satisfied.

Who was complaining about that? They should be saved for when they make sense. Full stop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Here, I have a question, but couldn't be bothered starting a new topic and all that

Should TNA mention WWE on TV?

Like, I know they're the obvious number 2 (or 3) company, but doesn't it really make them seem inferior? Like, when "Junior Fatu" debuted, they went on about his I-C title reign and all that. Also, that VKM bull**** they did a while ago too.

Just wondering what ye all think? Personally I think it makes them look ridiculous. It's kinda like they're saying to the whole world that "We're number 2!!"

Gerard.C wrote: »
    Should TNA mention WWE on TV?

No! I remember watching a shoot interview with Russo and he was explaining why WCW would mention the WWF all the time and none of it made sense

By acknowledging WWE when WWE don't acknowledge them, it does make them look inferior. The way they do it doesn't make any sense. Like they'll mention WWE and say that they've got boring champions or whatever it is, criticising WWE in some way. But if WWE is as bad as TNA say it is, then why bother mentioning them? The fans are watching your show, not WWE, so there's no need to talk about it

Also, they try saying that WWE is crap, but then they put emphasis on guys who've been there and talk about it as if it's a good thing. Like with Junior Fatu as you said, they talked about his IC title reign as something good. But how can it be good if WWE is as bad as TNA like to claim?

They say that WWE is no good, yet they push guys who weren't good enough for WWE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

I disagree. You can mention a rival programme if it makes sense to do so. By saying someone is a former champion it helps build them up in the eyes of the fans. Reminding people that Phatu was an intercontinental champion and a top-contender will help get him over as a credible force.

But it isn't limited to championships. When Piper arrived in WCW it made sense to reference his history with Hogan as it added to their rivalry.

Of course, this is not what TNA does.

What difference does it make if TNA mention WWE on their tv. Pretty much anybody that watches TNA already knows what WWE is anyway and most likely the people that watch TNA watch WWE too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭rizzla

They haven't done it in awhile tbh.

They mentioned previous title runs in past organisation but I think that adds a lot more credibility like someone said. It's treating wrestling like a real sport.

Other than that I don't think TNA should mention WWE or try and put them down.

IIRC, classic ECW mentioned WWE/F on a few occasions too. It can help in certain situations.

What difference does it make if TNA mention WWE on their tv

Like I explained, it makes them look inferior. It reminds me of a study of English football teams and their rival clubs that I read. The fans of every league team were surveyed as to who they considered to be their club's top rivals. Chelsea's fans picked Arsenal, Spurs and Man United as their top rivals. Both Fulham's fans and QPR's fans picked Chelsea as their clubs' top rivals. For anyone who's unfamiliar, Fulham and QPR are not at the same level as Chelsea or Chelsea's rivals. The fans of Fulham and QPR are concerned about Chelsea and they feel like it's their club's big rivalry, yet Chelsea's fans don't seem to take notice of those two teams. It makes the smaller clubs look inferior because the big clubs take no notice of them

I noticed some more thoughts of Meltzer on this week's Impact:
    Regarding last night's show, I thought some of it was funny , but doing the broken glass and thumb tack spots on a comedy show and the bumps A.J. Styles and Abyss in a context when such things couldn't get over made me feel bad for the talent. Plus, it's getting real old to see TNA produce these shows that do nothing to make TV viewers become customers and make nobody a superstar. I lived through this mentality in 1999 and 2000, and to see people embrace the philosophy that killed WCW is mind-blowing. It's the equivalent of somebody deciding to start a new football league, and instead of learning from what has and hasn't worked that the NFL has done over the years, just copying everything the XFL did and obliviously whistling dixie when ticket sales are poor to your events and 98% of your viewers don't buy your PPVs

This is a guy who's job it was to write about WCW while it was going downhill, so he has a fair idea of the stuff that they did wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

rizzla wrote: »
    They mentioned previous title runs in past organisation but I think that adds a lot more credibility like someone said.

I do think it adds credibility - to the WWE. I agree with Fozzy on this. TNA should not mention WWE as it makes them look weak in comparison.

If you're going to make mention of a rival then you should do it in a subtle manner in the way Kennedy did during the fake Razor Ramon skit a few weeks back on Raw when he said "thanks for coming". TNA sadly doesn't know the meaning of the word subtle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I don't really think that it's as bad as people say. For one, I think Fozzy's soccer analagy is false. After all, TNA are the WWE's biggest competition in the same field (not including the UFC as it's a different sport) but TNA is in a bad state right now.

I watched bits of impact and the Kaz Stylez fight was great but the storylines are lacking. The Christian Angle element is fine, it's probably the best thing going in either company ATM, but the Samoa Joe angle is one of the most insane things ever. It seems as if they're making the show deliberatly bad so Samoa Joe, one of the wrestlers the TNA fan's identify most in, can criticize it. Seriously, what's up with that

The point of bring in known wrestlers is to boost your starpower, if you bring in Booker T you cant just pretend he is fresh out of wrestling school otherwise there is no point bring him in, WWE have brought in TNA guys like Kash not acknowledged them at all and they didnt really get over, its annoying when they pretend WWE is the only place they've ever been

Take Jeff Hardy for eg he came back to WWE after 2 years in TNA and WWE acted like he was at home getting his "smile" back for 3 years or some crap!

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I don't really think that it's as bad as people say. For one, I think Fozzy's soccer analagy is false. After all, TNA are the WWE's biggest competition in the same field (not including the UFC as it's a different sport) but TNA is in a bad state right now.

I think it holds. TNA are not real competition unfortunately, yet they like to think of themselves as rivalling WWE. All while WWE just blanks them. WWE are clearly the bigger company, and if they don't look bothered by TNA then the average fan won't see TNA as being in the same league as WWE
    The Christian Angle element is fine, it's probably the best thing going in either company ATM

Just wondering, maybe I missed something, but why exactly is Christian getting a title shot? From what I can make out, he just got it randomly. He didn't win a contenders match, or even win any match recently from what I remember
    but the Samoa Joe angle is one of the most insane things ever. It seems as if they're making the show deliberatly bad so Samoa Joe, one of the wrestlers the TNA fan's identify most in, can criticize it. Seriously, what's up with that

I have no idea, but Joe looks like such a moany bitch the way they're booking him at the moment. Such a contrast to his character when he first joined TNA, when he was adored by the fans. They have him booked as a face on the next PPV, but if he keeps up all this whining then I wouldn't be surprised to see the fans turn on him

It's not just Joe really either, nearly everyone on Impact is always moaning, shouting and being miserable. A guy like RVD would never last there!
    The point of bring in known wrestlers is to boost your starpower, if you bring in Booker T you cant just pretend he is fresh out of wrestling school otherwise there is no point bring him in

But practically every TNA fan knows who Booker T is! There's no need to explain it. If they say that Booker is a former WWE champion and they talk about it as some great achievement, then it makes TNA look second rate. They don't often build up TNA's former champions the same way they build up WWE's former champions. If they made winning a belt in TNA sound more important than winning a belt in WWE then it would make TNA look better
    WWE have brought in TNA guys like Kash not acknowledged them at all and they didnt really get over, its annoying when they pretend WWE is the only place they've ever been

Take Jeff Hardy for eg he came back to WWE after 2 years in TNA and WWE acted like he was at home getting his "smile" back for 3 years or some crap!

The thing there is that most of WWE's fans either have no idea about TNA or they aren't currently interested in watching it. If WWE said that Jeff had been wrestling for TNA then they've suddenly made TNA known to their whole audience, and made many of them interested in it because a guy like Jeff Hardy worked there. It's of no benefit to WWE

They don't have to mention TNA but he was involved in wrestling during his absence, pointis its still annoying

Annoying to the fans who know what he was up to, yeah. But those fans are in the minority

Fozzy wrote: »
    Just wondering, maybe I missed something, but why exactly is Christian getting a title shot? From what I can make out, he just got it randomly. He didn't win a contenders match, or even win any match recently from what I remember

Well, last I checked Jericho walked into the company without wrestling for 2 years and stepped right over HBK, HHH, Jeff Hardy, Kennedy and Umaga.

Christian has been the standout performer in TNA all year.

• Advertisement

Well, last I checked Jericho walked into the company without wrestling for 2 years and stepped right over HBK, HHH, Jeff Hardy, Kennedy and Umaga.

Christian has been the standout performer in TNA all year.

Jericho didn't get his shot straight away, he just annoyed Randy until Randy gave in. I don't think that happened in TNA, Christian just lost a match and then was announced as the title challenger the next week

This week, why don't we just (try to) watch impact, and see just how much bull**** is actually in it? Because some of the pro-TNA arguments here annoy me due to their stupidity. If I get the time, I'll watch it, and do a review of some sort here, and see if it's any good.

Frankly, it will take a lot to impress me. I hate TNA something fierce right now.

TNA this week will be the one from the leaked script, which I've already sort of reviewed. The lead-in show to a PPV which does absolutely nothing to sell the PPV

This was certainly the last time I ever watch a full 2 hour TNA. Or, the last time I ever watch TNA for that matter untill they cop the **** on. I'll post up my review soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

I haven't watched WWE in ages, I don't have sky and Im not arsed watching a stream or downloading a torrent. I never miss impact, I enjoy the show. I don't come on here complaining about how bad raw/sd are. Im so fed up of people running TNA down on this forum, so in protest, I have decided to excise my right to be an obnoxious ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I haven't watched WWE in ages, I don't have sky and Im not arsed watching a stream or downloading a torrent. I never miss impact, I enjoy the show. I don't come on here complaining about how bad raw/sd are. Im so fed up of people running TNA down on this forum, so in protest, I have decided to excise my right to be an obnoxious ****

The funny thing is there's nothing even slightly obnoxious about your post. Try harder.

I'm referring to my sig

Fozzy, the reason that Christian is getting a title shot is because Angle stole the tag team champions from his stable and then gave him a beat down with Tomko. Seeing as he's the heel champion and Christian is the face who's down on his luck it seems logical that he'd get the shot

Why don't you back that up and try to find a list of things wrong with a single episode of RAW/Smackdown/ECW then? I defy you to find as much bull**** in those 5 hours than I found in a single episode of impact!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I'm referring to my sig

Thats pretty heavy stuff there man, are you sure you know what you're saying?

Actually, on second thought - why do you want people to stop watching WWE? Surely you have a valid reason?.....................VR!

Personally, I feel that if enough people stopped watching TNA (And lord knows, there's not too many people watching it anyway!) then perhaps the shambles of a booking committee they have would be changed. Then, perhaps, the new comittee would realise that this company has INCREDIBLE talent, and would do something with it.

Why don't you back that up and try to find a list of things wrong with a single episode of RAW/Smackdown/ECW then? I defy you to find as much bull**** in those 5 hours than I found in a single episode of impact!
    No thank you. I dont think I could keep up with all those headlocks and tie ups and yawn...........I can hide my sarcasm no longer, Im getting tired just thinking about it. The last time I watched any WWE was the summer slam main event (Cena Ortan) which I turned off after the first 5 minutes of headlocks. WWE just isn't for me and obviously TNA just isn't for you
    SO the reason shouldn't watch WWE is because its boring and the story lines are unimaginative rehashes of stuff from the 90

Actually, on second thought - why do you want people to stop watching WWE? Surely you have a valid reason?.....................VR!

Personally, I feel that if enough people stopped watching TNA (And lord knows, there's not too many people watching it anyway!) then perhaps the shambles of a booking committee they have would be changed. Then, perhaps, the new comittee would realise that this company has INCREDIBLE talent, and would do something with it.

If enough people stopped watching WWE they might stop dictating there most talented young wrestlers in ring styles, and push someone new

If enough people stopped watching WWE they might stop dictating there most talented young wrestlers in ring styles, and push someone new

But the people watching WWE enjoy the product. Less than 2% of TNA's fans enjoy the TNA product enough to pay for it

Orton vs Cena at Summerslam was a really good match by the way. Headlocks can sometimes tell a story

In all fairness, that was just a rant.

Also, why did you watch 2 hours of impact when you hate it so much and advise nobody else to watch it?

• Advertisement

Because you have the type of people here who will listen to one persons opinion (Dave Meltzer etc) and then adopt that opinion as their own.

Because you have the type of people here who will listen to one persons opinion (Dave Meltzer etc) and then adopt that opinion as their own.

Just speaking for myself, the only reason I still watch TNA from time to time is that I'm a big wrestling fan and I haven't got enough common sense to stay away from it. But I know myself that I don't enjoy it anywhere near as much as I did last year and it can't be argued that they're doing good business, which is bad for wrestling

I watched ROH Man Up last night (as I posted in the merry Christmas thread) and it was the first time I enjoyed wrestling in awhile, besides the older dvd's ive been watching Brian Pillman, Flair etc

Doesn't Dave Meltzer nearly always praise something about impact?

And I watched impact to give it one last chane - just to see if all the pro-TNA people here were making a good point. Sadly, they were not....

And oneofakind32, - "If enough people stopped watching WWE they might stop dictating there most talented young wrestlers in ring styles, and push someone new"

Kevin Nash, Booker T, Kurt Angle, Team 3D, Scott Stiener, Scott ****ing Hall?? Hardly new youngsters themselves, are they?

AJ Styles, Tomko and Jay Lethal, three champions, are 29, 31 and 22 respectivly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement