Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serious GLS Courier Problem

Options
  • 18-12-2007 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I had a lens sent from the UK to me via Parcelforce. Since it's been 2 weeks and no show I called them, only to be told that they use GLS to deliver it in Ireland. I called GLS and they have just told me that they delivered the package back on the 7th! I'm also told that the records show my name (which would have been on the package) as signed for on the 7th at 9am.

Verifiably I was teaching a class from 0830 that morning so it's impossible for that to have happened. My mother, who is the only other one in the house, is also a teacher and couldn't have been here. The neighbours have always dropped in anything that has ever been left with them over the years. They say they never got anything. There's no porch and it's in a housing estate so that would seem to rule out just leaving it there.

GLS called the driver and he said that he "couldn't remember" which is perhaps somewhat understandable at this time of year. He's going to get the list from that day and call me tomorrow and hopefully he'll remember exactly what happened.

Anybody know where I stand on this?

How worried should I be?

It was a bloody expensive lens... I don't think it was insured. I do have paypal buyer protection but don't know if this will cover it.

Thanks,

Daniel

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

It is the senders duty to make sure its delivered - the courier is working for them. Contact the seller and let them know the state of play. Presuming you bought from a reputable source, they will do a thorough follow-up. The signature on delivery they have on record at GLS may prove to be a problem as, while it's not yours, you will find it hard to persuade the sender - who has no idea what yours looks like.

Most courier companies have an in-built insurance cover for all their deliveries and the seller should still be able to claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Yerac

I would definitely pass on everything you know about the situation to the original supplier as quickly as possible. A forged signature would be a very serious matter.

I have had issues with GLS leaving stuff on the doorstep before - even after they rang me and I specifically told them not to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

The seller is an ebayer but one with 171 feedbacks, 100% of which are positive. And it's quite clear that the lens made it into the post. Of course I'd prefer it to be an actual store but I get the feeling he'll help me out on this one.

I'm going to wait for GLS to get back to me tomorrow. If I don't get anything from them, I've already set up a case with ComReg and they have also advised me to involve the Garda Fraud Squad if it's claimed my signature has been signed.

Frankly I'd prefer the lens... :(

Thanks for all the advice so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Had my first dealings with GLS today. Ordered something off Amazon on Friday, who later told me it was to be delivered by Parcel Force. Presumed that it would be passed on to An Post.

Had a call on my phone today which I missed, followed by a text telling me it was GLS and they had a parcel for me. Rang them back and told them I wasn't at home, so I had it delivered to my work address no problem. He was at the door about 30 seconds after I called him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 unbelievable

I ordered items from dabs, who apparently use parcel force to deliver. Parcel force in turn use GLS to deliver in Ireland. I had my parcel dumped on my doorstep on Friday, no phone call, no note, just left there. I have had to make numerous phonecalls over this. Apparently it was signed for in my name, despite the fact no-one was home and they just left it on my doorstep!!!! I will not let this go easily. Be warned if you are ordering from dabs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

I dealt with GLS last year as I ordered some really expensive electronics (yet saved a fortune on Irish prices). Anyway, it was supposed to be delivered in 3 working days and it took two weeks. After much complaining to my supplier, they refunded me the £30 I paid for shipping due to the delay.

I eventually got them from GLS but it took weeks and not the original 3 working days, it also caused me alot alot of trouble with the customer whom I had waiting for the part, I had to do that job at a third of the cost, thus losing money in it all due to GLS. My customer was happy (despite the wait) but I wasn't :mad:

Advertisement