Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single glazing

Options
  • 18-12-2007 11:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

My house is about 10 years old and has pvc double glazing throughout except for the hall door and windows either side.

There is a small pane of stained glass in the door and two large panes of stained glass either side of door.

The rest of the house gets nice and warm and once you go to the hall you can feel the cold. Is there anything that I can do other than getting a new pvc door and frame?

At the moment my front door is a solid door which I prefer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,419 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

keep the solid wooden door, they dont really preform a whole lot different than regular PVC doors. Insulated core doors (both pvc and wooden) will course do better.

As for the glazing, do you really want to keep the stained glass?
    It should be an option to replace the single pane with a double glazed unit. It will have to be a narrow unit, 12-15mm. If the rebate is too small it may not be any use, But if its a decent sized solid door, around 2". With a bit of adjustment and a new bead you should get a double glazed unit it, the stained glass will have to go though. Unless you can pay extrs to get it incorporated into a double unit, Im not sure on that though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Just The One

Mellor wrote: »
    keep the solid wooden door, they dont really preform a whole lot different than regular PVC doors. Insulated core doors (both pvc and wooden) will course do better.

As for the glazing, do you really want to keep the stained glass?
    It should be an option to replace the single pane with a double glazed unit. It will have to be a narrow unit, 12-15mm. If the rebate is too small it may not be any use, But if its a decent sized solid door, around 2". With a bit of adjustment and a new bead you should get a double glazed unit it, the stained glass will have to go though. Unless you can pay extrs to get it incorporated into a double unit, Im not sure on that though

Stained glass can certainly go. I thought that I would have to change the entire frame to get double glazing.

thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Is there anything that I can do other than getting a new pvc door and frame?.

Rather then replace the stained glass you should be able to get a double galzed unit to fit internally behind the existing glass. Cheaper and less work!

You should also look at draught excluders, it the hall is that cold, that's more likely to be the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 7,167 ✭✭✭10-10-20

You can get companies who will use a router on the existing frame to deepen the rebate if required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

hang a great big heavy curtain over the door area......used to see that a lot years ago. draught excluders in the form of the rubber self adheasive seal that go in the rebate around the door and the brush type on the bottom of the door itself might help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭pjq

Try LMGlazing in Derry http://www.lmglazing.com/contact.htm , they converted our single teak windows to d/g . They work all over Irl and named 3 happy customers for us to visit before we ordered .

pjq

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

I have a porch door and the half-moon single glaze is missing (At the top above the doors). Can anyone give me places (North Dublin) where they will cut the pane to size?? Cheers

Advertisement