Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tennant reference for opening bank account

Options
  • 18-12-2007 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

I have advertized a room to rent and got an interested party. He is good for both the months deposit and months rent up front, but wants to open a bank account. He is newly returned from the Uk and says he needs to transfer funds to an account here. It sounds a reasonable request but if I give him a letter to prove to the bank his address, could I be party to something clandestine, or accountable for anything untoword? I think he is a nice guy but I dont want to be taking chances either. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭merritt

It's not a character reference; all you would be doing is stating that he is resident at that address. So, if he were to be involved in something else, you've done nothing wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Seems to be safe, it's a fairly standard request

My landlord did something similar for me when I moved to Northern Ireland.
    My records with Bank of Ireland here were worthless to Bank of Ireland, Belfast so had to go through the whole process of getting id and references again. :mad:

Ultimately, if this guy turns out to be some mastermind criminal, any investigation will blame the account opening officer at the bank, not you
    If you give your letter in good faith and believe he is genuine then you have nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

yep, you have nothing to worry about. Also maybe tell him to go to Ulster Bank, as they are used to opening bank accounts for UK people moving over to ireland (all he needs is his UK bank statements).

Advertisement