Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom trying to rip me off! hlp plz!

Options
  • 18-12-2007 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

hello everyone, i got a small problem but cant seem to find help..

I had eircom landline with brdband then i moved house, cancelled everything and it was all ok... then i rang them and asked if there was broadband in my new area kinda in the country, they said they couldnt tell because the phone line wasnt active for a long time something like that and they had to switch it on before telling me yes or no...

then cople days later got a direct debit agreement at home for a new landline i never asked for.. i rang and cancelled everything straight away then got a bill for 124quid..

i have rang and complained cople and answer got once was you can pay it if you want or not and then they hanged up.. now they sent letter saying taking legal procidings against me etc... now worried it gonna affect my credit score, plus have to pay all the costs..

can any one recomend sumthing please??

thank you very much and sorry for long text!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

This is common enough.
    Ring their billing department. Make it clear that you didn't order a landline and didn't consent to a direct debit or contract.
    Contact the NCA (www.nca.ie) and alert them to yet another instance of Eircom pushing product down people's throats.
    Check with your bank to see when/who/how the DD was authorized.
    There is a relatively new method by which a DD can be authorized over the phone and charged in 7 days. This is usually useful when dealing with a competent and upstanding company. Unfortunately, eircom sales muppets abuse this facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 swx22000

I work with a company that deals in ireland's national consumer rights: You have to ring COMREG on 1890229668 and small courts claims on 018886000. They are breaking consumer law as you did not order service from them. You also MAY have a 7 day cooling off period to cancel the contract and incur no cancelation fee(which they probably did not tell you). You can take them to small claims as its an unsolicited contract. Small claims is only €9 ad you don't need any legal representation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

When will action be taken against Eircom for ll the sh!te they put their customers through? There seem to be threads on here daily and just about everyone I know who got a landline installed by Eircom have had complaints of inefficiency and/or bad customer service and/or overcharging and difficulty getting a refund.

When i first originally ordered the line I was told that I'd have it no later than 4 weeks time. 4 weeks later and not a peep out of them, rang them and was told my order didn't exist, and that an order would take 8-10 weeks as it was in the busy xmas period (this time last year). I said that was grand, and asked who I could e-mail a complaint to and that I'd cc Comreg. Low and behold 8-10 weeks became 2 days.

Then they proceeded to send us a bill for calls that had dates on them prior to our landline being fitted, as well as line rental. When i rang customer care I was told that the calls had been made so I'd have to pay for them. I asked how could I make calls when I hadn't a phone line? Was told that the phoneline had been fitted on whatever date it was (3 weeks before they actually fitted the line). Rang line engineering dept or something to that effect and the guy i spoke to (who was very helpful in fairness, got the refund put through but did try fob me off with some bullsh!t excuse) asked how were they charging me for calls and rental for 3 weeks before the line had been installed? How could he see the date that the line had been installed but someone in customer care didnt? Co-incidentally enough they were charging me from the date our next door neighbours had a repair man over and some of the numbers I alledgedly rang were friends of our next door neighbours (who our neighbours informed me they rang on their landline). Told this to the 'customer service' person I spoke to and was told in no uncertain terms that it was 'impossible' and they'd hardly make a mistake like that.

All in all took over 12 months to get a line fitted, the second it was fitted I switched providers. Goodbye eircom, hopefully I'll never have to deal with you again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

If at all possible you should try to resolve it with Eircom before escalating it to a third party such as the regulator or the NCA. Have you tried writing to Eircom? If you write to them telling them you didn't agree to the phone line and that you consider their actions as harrassment I'm sure that would get them off your case fairly quickly - address it to their director of sales or customer services.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Slice wrote: »
    If at all possible you should try to resolve it with Eircom before escalating it to a third party such as the regulator or the NCA. Have you tried writing to Eircom? If you write to them telling them you didn't agree to the phone line and that you consider their actions as harrassment I'm sure that would get them off your case fairly quickly - address it to their director of sales or customer services.

And that will take how long to get there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

And that will take how long to get there?

Err... that would depend on the method of delivery but most national post is delivered the following working day.

It doesn't matter how long it takes anyway, what's important is that you sent it and that you document the fact that you sent it while retaining a copy of the letter sent.

In the meantime there is no consequence to anything they might send you - it won't affect your credit rating unless you get a judgement passed against you which would require a court summons and only then should you be worrying. What's more, on the grounds of what your saying, no court in their right mind would pass a judgement against you but it won't get that far because it's not a large enough amount of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Slice wrote: »
    Err... that would depend on the method of delivery but most national post is delivered the following working day.

It doesn't matter how long it takes anyway, what's important is that you sent it and that you document the fact that you sent it while retaining a copy of the letter sent.

In the meantime there is no consequence to anything they might send you - it won't affect your credit rating unless you get a judgement passed against you which would require a court summons and only then should you be worrying. What's more, on the grounds of what your saying, no court in their right mind would pass a judgement against you but it won't get that far because it's not a large enough amount of money.

Its Christmas time. It will take over a week.
    Comreg will get the job done a lot faster.

Advertisement