Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watercooling recommendations

Options
  • 18-12-2007 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭

hi all

i'm going to try my hand at watercooling...i need some recommendations on parts to order....best place to order??

I'm not looking for extreme performance here, but i'd like to get good quality components that perform well with minimal noise

parts i need...

pump
    reservior
    radiator
    CPU block - LGA775
    GPU block- Nvidia 8800 GTS
    tubing

or is it better to just order a kit....i've read good things about the swiftech h20-220 kits..

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

The kit is pretty good, although you will need a different gpu block for your 8800gts. Since your new to watercooling it might be best to just get a kit, as picking out all the components can be a bit daunting, especially as there are conflicting reviews all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

thanks for the reply anti....was thinking of going for the kit alright....

u sure about the gpu block not fitting the 8800 series.....from what i'm reading it does :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭ricka05

Gryzor wrote: »
    thanks for the reply anti....was thinking of going for the kit alright....

u sure about the gpu block not fitting the 8800 series.....from what i'm reading it does :confused:

Yeah the block will fit alright, but it will only cool the gpu, it will not cool the ram. So get a full cover block as mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

hi,
    i would reccomend the kits as they are good for biggners.but i would only reccomend thiskit
    as the other kit will put to much load on the rad.i would advice you to go for a seprate gfx block for ur card.if you want to go full block the EK's are nice and the Swiftech stealths are the best for core cooling.

• Advertisement

thats exactly what i went for in the end....the smaller swiftech kit and the EK block...ordered them up yesterday....lookin forward to the build...:)

i'm assuming the best place to get distilled water is a chemist??

pretty much yeah. or b&q , woodies etc etc

thats exactly what i went for in the end....the smaller swiftech kit and the EK block...ordered them up yesterday....lookin forward to the build...:)

i'm assuming the best place to get distilled water is a chemist??

try and buy 4 more high flow metal barbs when you are ordering the ek block as the swifech kits comes with cheep plastic ones.

are the swiftech plastic barbs actually bad, or are the metal ones just a bit better??

the metal ones are better and they look much nicer also , but there would not be much proformence diffrence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

the swiftech!

toco123 wrote: »
    the swiftech!

what..:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Hey Gryzor,

How is that kit working out for you?

Just a couple of questions, if you dont mind....

Is the kit quiet?
    How did the install go?
    Would you change any bits after installing it now?

Just looking at that kit myself so hoping to buy just after xmas!

Cheers

SRDB20

srdb20 wrote: »
    Hey Gryzor,

How is that kit working out for you?

Just a couple of questions, if you dont mind....

Is the kit quiet?
    How did the install go?
    Would you change any bits after installing it now?

Just looking at that kit myself so hoping to buy just after xmas!

Cheers

SRDB20

hey SRDB20

give me a chance man....i only ordered the parts yesterday :p

i'll post back on how it goes...i've to wait for my new case to come from hardwareversand.de, that could take a couple of weeks though.....cause the germans don't seem to like credit cards for some reason..:(

another question on this lads....can deionised water be used aswell as distilled??

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

another question on this lads....can deionised water be used aswell as distilled??

Yep deionised is fine, been using it for every loop I've set up and all has been fine.

nibble wrote: »
    Yep deionised is fine, been using it for every loop I've set up and all has been fine.

nice one...i went into B&Q yesterday to see if they had any distilled water, i was met with blank faces....one girl advised me, the best way to get distilled water is to freeze some water in ice-cube bags, then defrost it, thats distilled water!! bet you didn't know that..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Halfords, or any motor factors for the water.

was messing around with the swiftech kit last nite, deciding where to put the components etc...

i have a question on the radiator, is there a "right side up", as in the instructions for these or can the be laid on their side or positioned upside down??

nice one...i went into B&Q yesterday to see if they had any distilled water, i was met with blank faces....one girl advised me, the best way to get distilled water is to freeze some water in ice-cube bags, then defrost it, thats distilled water!! bet you didn't know that..;)

You should have slapped the ignorance out of her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

was messing around with the swiftech kit last nite, deciding where to put the components etc...

i have a question on the radiator, is there a "right side up", as in the instructions for these or can the be laid on their side or positioned upside down??

Doesn't matter how you place it but it's easier to bleed with the barbs facing up or to the side.

Advertisement