Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you want to DO with your lives?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Queen

This will be my third year applying to college, so hopefully this time I'll get in. I want to get a career in nursing.

Then the usual, I want a family, have a nice house etc. I also want to see the world, visit all the continents :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

RonMexico wrote: »
    I've always wanted to make the perfect cup of tea.

It's an art form ... practise.
    • Sugar always goes first
    • bag second (has to be barrys)
    • water in straight off the boil
    • stir once, leave sit for 2mins, stir again
    • take out bag lovingly
    • add milk (just a drop)
    • stir again
    • thank ThatGuy for the best cupan tae ever
    RonMexico wrote: »
    I'm also determined to solve the riddle of the dissappearing poo, you know the massive one that makes a big splash and totally vanishes like a diving whale. Except they never surface.

Gravity, my friend.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

ozzyoh wrote: »
    Couple of questions:

1)are you in your dream job at the moment? if not, are you going to do anything about it?
    2)what hopes, dreams, and aspirations do you have?

I'm stuck in a rut...i have no idea what I wanna do (careers-wise.) It sucks! I like dealing with people...doing reception work at the mo, but I don't wanna be stuck doing that all my life...even though I enjoy it, but there's not much room for progression..

Other hopes/dreams are I wanna travel more, have a family, ermmmmm...and just be happy i guess!

1)Nope not a chance, although it is a step in the right direction, it's in the filed I want but not directly the work I want to do.
    2)Start up my own research, get my house bought, meet someone who is on the same page as me, and hopefully sometime in the future there would be a proposal and if lucky maybe kids.
    Although I'm doubting the meeting someone etc... blah blah..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

ThatGuy wrote: »
    It's an art form ... practise.
    • Sugar always goes first
    • bag second (has to be barrys)
    • water in straight off the boil
    • stir once, leave sit for 2mins, stir again
    • take out bag lovingly
    • add milk (just a drop)
    • stir again
    • thank ThatGuy for the best cupan tae ever

you're supposed to add the milk first. that's just a mediocre cup. boo! hissss!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

what hopes, dreams, and aspirations do you have?

Going by this thread a lot of people aspire to be an AH mod. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

rb_ie wrote: »
    I've no long term plan. Lifes far, far too short to be constantly thinking down the road.

I'm in a job at the moment which I'm happy in and make quite a lot of money at, it's not my dream job but it's quite close to being something I'd actually quite like to do on a more permanent basis.
    I intend on finishing college, to at least have a degree to fall back on, and then I want to travel, see different cultures, countries etc.
    Considering I could be hit by a car and killed tomorrow, I don't really care where I'll be in 10 years right now, but if life goes the way it seems to be going, it should be something good.
    The right attitude. Having a long-term plan leads to disappointment - things don't tend to work out. And not necessarily for the worst, but it can seem like it initially.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

1. Drama & film student on scholarship. Work hard, play hard, so things are in balance.
    2. Star in the remake of Kill Bill (without having to wear yellow spandex...yuk!). Do my own stunts with naked blade. And if the director gives me any s**t, then director sushi will be on the menu when the roach coach pulls up for lunch on the lot.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I'd like to leave a mark on the world. Not necessarily so that anyone would know my name, but to know that I made a difference.

My regular daytime job doesn't really do this. I fix computers for a government agency. Whoopie. It's a relatively interesting job, but neither challenging or likely to affect anything in the larger sphere of things. Go to work. Sit in a cubicle. Push keys on a computer.

As a result, I'm quite happy with my alter ego as a reserve military officer. Not only is it fun in and of itself (I spent the last two weeks shooting off thousands of dollars of taxpayer-funded ammunition), but it has the opportunity of affecting a great many lives. I've had a couple of articles published in community literature, and intend to release a book at some point. I also educate people in the local tank museum.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Couple of questions:

1)are you in your dream job at the moment? if not, are you going to do anything about it?
    2)what hopes, dreams, and aspirations do you have?

well, i think the idea of having any sort of job sucks. i don't understand how one could have a dream that involves working for someone.

• Advertisement

You can be self-employed.

NTM

I'd like to leave a mark on the world. Not necessarily so that anyone would know my name, but to know that I made a difference.

i wanted to say what a load of bollix, but that's a bit offensive, so i wont. a difference to whom? most people wont remember or care about anything you've ever done, and even if by some remote chance you actually do something that changes the world in a great way, the solar system will collide with ours and destroy everything and all you're hard work will be the equivalent of building a giant sand castle.

edit: i deliberately took out the name of the person i was quoting to make it clear i'm not aiming it any anyone, it's just the general idea i have a problem with.

You can be self-employed.

NTM
    you're still working for someone else.

edit: i deliberately took out the name of the person i was quoting to make it clear i'm not aiming it any anyone, it's just the general idea i have a problem with.

Gee.. That'll make it difficult to figure out who you were quoting!

Do you not believe it is possible to directly affect other people's lives?

Not to disrespect bankers or lawyers or IT persons or any other career which contributes to national well-being or the economy, but can you imagine what it would have been like to have been an Allied soldier going through Paris on the 26th of August 1944? Or being an Irish troop in Liberia in 2004? You have a tangible result which you can witness, postively affecting people as a direct result of your actions.

I have no doubt that there is this exact same sentiment shared by doctors, firemen, police and ambulancemen amongst others. Frankly, I don't think anyone in the world really cares if I correctly re-format a hard drive at the office. Damned sure someone would acknowledge my effect on the world if I were a doctor who saved some kid's life after a car accident. It doesn't have to be a nation-shattering effect that I'm talking about here, it's just something to show 'I was here'

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Forget the pursuit of happiness, I'd settle for being just a shade less miserable.

well, i think the idea of having any sort of job sucks. i don't understand how one could have a dream that involves working for someone.
    Most people have to work - in order to make money etc. This thread is focusing on what their dream job would be.
    What do you do?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

i want to invent a time machine , go back to the early 60's , practice playing guitar till im great then join thin lizzy , simple eh ?

Dudess wrote: »
    Most people have to work - in order to make money etc. This thread is focusing on what their dream job would be.
    What do you do?

i play poker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

OP, I felt like you did recently. Read this book: "What Should I Do With My Life" by Po Bronson. It's a very interesting account of people who asked themselves the same questions as you and found answers, and how they found them. It's very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

watna wrote: »
    OP, I felt like you did recently. Read this book: "What Should I Do With My Life" by Po Bronson. It's a very interesting account of people who asked themselves the same questions as you and found answers, and how they found them. It's very good.

Advertisement ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Advertisement ftw!

Yes, I worked up 1200 posts just so I could advertise that book without being noticed as a shill.

Damn you thelastangryman for outing me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

I want to change the face of cinema forever!
    Not a bad goal! :D

Kemos wrote: »
    I have always dreamed of being a baseball
    ...but tonight I say we must move forward, not backward... upward, not forward, and always twirling... twirling... TWIRLING towards freedom!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

watna wrote: »
    Yes, I worked up 1200 posts just so I could advertise that book without being noticed as a shill.

Damn you thelastangryman for outing me!

I know. I'm just that damn good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Im not in my dream job, but I still like it all the same, it pays the bills with a little left over. With my life, I plan to never have kids, and basically get out there and see and experience as many things big and small. So far got to do the following:

-Surfing & Skiiing (never again)
    -A radio show
    -A track day at Mondello
    -American roadtrip x 2

Things I still want to do:

-Tour New Zealand, Iceland & see base camp of Everest
    -Hike to the top of Mt Errigal in Jan 2008
    -FLying lesson
    -Do a session at the rally school of Ireland
    -Go out with Sabine around the Nurburgring in an M5
    -Do some rugid adventures like Bear Grylls!

I see my myself almost like a modern hippy, not too bothered about climbing the
    employment ladder, with the 9-5 job, 2.4 kids etc, its too boring. Thats probably why I love my 4am jogs and winter mountain biking excursions in freezing and wet weather so much.

Advertisement