Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from NW forum

Options
  • 18-12-2007 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Yesterday I was banned from Region/North West/Sligo by muffler.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055202425

"You are banned for persistent off topic posting, arguing with a mod and generally acting the clown."

I accept the charge of acting the clown however I don't consider it a banning offence. Plenty of my posts are light hearted comments which hopefully make some people giggle while other posts are attempts to share information and help requests.

I have had a number of run-ins with muffler as I don't agree with his "iron fist" approach to moderating. A number of posters have had issues with the moderating of this forum and it was agreed to add a native Sligo mod to this forum (Gillie).

The "sligo" mod warned me not to go off topic which i accepted, issue closed.
    Unfortunately not - after this muffler stepped in and banned me.

Can you please deliberate on this
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

You deserved it. Iron fist or not muffler and gillie asked you to take it to feedback and you persisted in your jibes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

After Gillie's warning, I didn't go off topic or argue with anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Can you please deliberate on this
    Are you asking for Muffler? Did you PM him asking for a reason?
    I think the reason is pretty straight forward "You are banned for persistent off topic posting, arguing with a mod and generally acting the clown." It seems to me you broke the camels back with that latest stunt.
    Btw, I don't know you so can't say how much clowning you been up to in that forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I accept the charge of acting the clown however I don't consider it a banning offence.

You'll probably find that most people don't think that what they did was deserving of a ban. However, it's not up to you. If you accept that you were acting the clown then why shouldn't you be banned for it? You were even warned, so a ban is the next step.

You should PM the mods in question with a link to this thread if you want them to comment.

jor el wrote: »
    You'll probably find that most people don't think that what they did was deserving of a ban. However, it's not up to you. If you accept that you were acting the clown then why shouldn't you be banned for it? You were even warned, so a ban is the next step.

You should PM the mods in question with a link to this thread if you want them to comment.

As I said earlier, I have locked horns with the mod in question before so I thought by using this forum I might be able to receive an objective decision on my banning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Yea the mods in the Sligo forum could relax on the rules a little, a little off topic conversation never hurt anyone, espically seeing as there is very little activity on the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Yea the mods in the Sligo forum could relax on the rules a little, a little off topic conversation never hurt anyone, espically seeing as there is very little activity on the forum.

Yes but then he should have started a thread in feedback about it (which he was advised to do). He's here complaining about the ban. That was deserved. The forum does appear a little strict though,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I see no reason for banning people for joking around a little on regional forums, especially quiet ones. Seeing people banned tends to put off new posters. And the OP was quite helpful after the warning from Gillie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

it wasn't off-topic , it was humor about the topic , a very different thing.... seem a very harsh ban to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

jhegarty wrote: »
    it wasn't off-topic , it was humor about the topic , a very different thing.... seem a very harsh ban to me...

Thats fair enough but when a mod has already asked for it to stop?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

seems harsh to me too, but what would i know about the ways of Sligo people :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Ditto.
    Someone didn't get enough hugs when they were growing up!

It doesnt matter which forum it is really.

Arguing about moderation in the forum is a well known no-no. Then a mod says take it to feed back and another comment is thrown in .... thats a paddlin'

Sligo beers coming up. I might just go along to stir things up between Muffler and Counting_Crows, every time the make eye contact i'm gonna shout "fight fight fight!"

:o I'm afraid to comment on any of these replies in case it prejudices my case!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

6th wrote: »
    It doesnt matter which forum it is really.

Arguing about moderation in the forum is a well known no-no. Then a mod says take it to feed back and another comment is thrown in .... thats a paddlin'

It's a online message board, not communist Russia.....

It's not as if boards will descend into chaos because of posters like this....

It's a online message board, not communist Russia.....

It's not as if boards will descend into chaos because of posters like this....

Ok so lets just say fuck all the charters etc ... its only the internet? Should we over turn all the other bannings while we're at it too?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Ok so lets just say fuck all the charters etc ... its only the internet? Should we over turn all the other bannings while we're at it too?

Charters are there to be interpreted, not enforced with an iron fist. A bit of common sense is vital. Maintaining the good humour, good nature and good conversation in a forum is far more important than smacking down on every perceived charter violation, IMO. Such bannings are necessary in places like PI or Politics all the time but should be reserved for proper outright muppets in quieter forums.

Having said that, how the Sligo forum is run is up to its moderators and I respect that, the rest of us can only add our 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

It's a bit harsh IMO. I was reading the thread at the time, Hadn't realised you'd actually been banned CC. What was the point in Muffler replying if he'd already banned you? :confused: And in all fairness once Gillie gave the warning everything was kept strictly on topic.

It's a little off-putting and I tend to not post in the Sligo forum much as everything has to be kept so strictly on topic. I remember seeing a warning in the Clarence thread because the guys were discussing the Club rather than hotel. Which was ridiculous IMO and obviously the Mod wasn't familiar with it!

So I do agree with Hail and CC, It is ruled with an "iron fist" which does in turn takes any fun out of posting there. It's a quiet enough forum at the end of the day, and mostly it's the regular posters posting. There's no need to have everything serious at all times.

But that's just my 2cents!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Look i'm not here to fight anyones corner but the Mod in question is following the rules of the Forum.

In the case of the Clarence Hotel Thread he admitted that he was unaware that there was a nightclub there and it was at that point that I was selected as a mod since I would be more familiar with Sligo than the other two mods.
    In fairness the thread was not closed.

Now in fairness there is a lot of off-topic posting in the NW fora and according to the rules of the forum this is punishable by death err.. I mean infractions/bannings. The mods are simply following the rules laid out in the charter.

The Sligo forum has been really taking off as of late and we really don't need the hassle!
    There's no reason why ppl can't start new threads if they feel they are going off-topic.
    If we (the mods) feel that a merge is necessary we'll do so.

Comments?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Spades

a ban is OTT, the main reason i joined this site was for humor and to learn a little,for example i have picked up on usefull tips in motors , but honetly it was more for the humor. If every conversation stayed on topic it would be very boring.

Spades wrote: »
    a ban is OTT, the main reason i joined this site was for humor

Then may I suggest AH, Lolocaust & the humor forum? ...... or PI :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Gillie wrote: »
    The mods are simply following the rules laid out in the charter...Comments?
    The Mods wrote the Charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Spades

Then may I suggest AH, Lolocaust & the humor forum? ...... or PI :D

good man, thats more like it;)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

How long is the ban for?

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

DeVore wrote: »
    How long is the ban for?

DeV.
    Until he gives me assurances that he is willing and capable of being a bit more mature and serious with his posts and stops the piss taking.

In saying that I will see how quickly I recover from the session on Friday next and I could be full of Xmas cheer and all that jazz ;)

muffler wrote: »
    Until he gives me assurances that he is willing and capable of being a bit more mature and serious with his posts and stops the piss taking.

In saying that I will see how quickly I recover from the session on Friday next and I could be full of Xmas cheer and all that jazz ;)

I suppose one mans "piss taking" is another mans humour :confused:

I suppose one mans "piss taking" is another mans humour :confused:

Well then go use the humor forum will you are waiting out your ban?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Thanks for the business, I'll drop the envelope over later. ;)

• Advertisement

Whatever the resolution here, I would like the mods to take a bit of a more relaxed position with the posts in future as the Sligo forum has seen a drop off in posts recently.
    I'd like to see a lot more people posting / having the craic on the lead up to the Christmas beers espically.

Advertisement