Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from NW forum

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Gazza376

Whatever the resolution here, I would like the mods to take a bit of a more relaxed position with the posts in future as the Sligo forum has seen a drop off in posts recently.
    I'd like to see a lot more people posting / having the craic on the lead up to the Christmas beers espically.

Mods were put on here for a reason, to make sure everyone obeys the rules and stays on topic. If we let everyone go off topic there could be chaos.

But my opinion on the ban is that he was piss taking and going off topic, was asked to stay on topic and stop the piss taking, which he didn't, so he had the ban coming to him.

Thats my opinion.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Gazza376 wrote: »
    Mods were put on here for a reason, to make sure everyone obeys the rules and stays on topic. If we let everyone go off topic there could be chaos.

But my opinion on the ban is that he was piss taking and going off topic, was asked to stay on topic and stop the piss taking, which he didn't, so he had the ban coming to him.

Thats my opinion.:)

After my warning, I didn't "take the piss", I actually tryed to be helpful to the OP plus if you check you'll see that it was a mod who went off slighly off topic.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

muffler wrote: »
    Until he gives me assurances that he is willing and capable of being a bit more mature and serious with his posts and stops the piss taking.

In saying that I will see how quickly I recover from the session on Friday next and I could be full of Xmas cheer and all that jazz ;)
    6th wrote: »
    Well then go use the humor forum will you are waiting out your ban?
    After my warning, I didn't "take the piss", I actually tryed to be helpful to the OP plus if you check you'll see that it was a mod who went off slighly off topic.

You know.... between those three posts, I'm beginning to formulate the basis for a brilliant solution...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

annex sligo and let it drift out to sea?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Have to say also being a noob to boards, while the mods do a decent job and are fair in most cases sometimes it can feel slightly like a virtual Auschwitz, i.e. keep the head down and mind your tongue or Herr moderator will send you to the gas chamber..

I completely understand that the whole private site thing etc etc, but I think as we can gather that forums are generally a place to engage in conversation and to the best of my knowledge human interaction involves consistently off topic conversations, i.e. crap weather we are having, are you all set for xmas etc etc.

Are there not some instances were mods should just let us trod on and only intervene when it starts to get out of hand. In this instance the op was only really poking a bit of fun at the local nightclub, with a fellow sligo brother. Think we have all done that at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Feelgood wrote: »
    Have to say also being a noob to boards, while the mods do a decent job and are fair in most cases sometimes it can feel slightly like a virtual Auschwitz, i.e. keep the head down and mind your tongue or Herr moderator will send you to the gas chamber..

I completely understand that the whole private site thing etc etc, but I think as we can gather that forums are generally a place to engage in conversation and to the best of my knowledge human interaction involves consistently off topic conversations, i.e. crap weather we are having, are you all set for xmas etc etc.

Are there not some instances were mods should just let us trod on and only intervene when it starts to get out of hand. In this instance the op was only really poking a bit of fun at the local nightclub, with a fellow sligo brother. Think we have all done that at some stage.

I agree. But remember, not all mods have been here for a long time, and not all of them have been mods for a while. Some 'breaking in' time sometimes needs to happen.
    The fact that the mods on the NW forum say they are only going by the charter may not be aware that they can in fact chuck out the charter, and create their own, may be an indicator that some leanring needs to take place. You do what you want in your own forum you mod, as long as in the whole it stands by the whole spirit of Boards.ie.

After a while, it becomes obvious which forums are are more easy going, and which arent.
    Personally, im of the belief that the more you allow discussion to take place, and the more active you are in a forum, the more it grows. If you lay down rigid and unbending rules, you tend to find that many people drift away. Thats not to say they die, they could be replaced by 20 more people, but you get the idea.

In this instance, my advice to the moderators would be to rebuild the charter as a guideline, rather than a strict rule, and allow the users to dictate what is acceptable. They are usually vocal enough when they feel something is wrong :)
    after all, we are only here to facilitate their discussions. Not curb them. I think the term moderator is incorrect tbh. Forum administrators would be more appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

I think the term moderator is incorrect tbh. Forum administrators would be more appropriate.

I could think of at least 50 other things to call ye after my banning from AH tonight WWM....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

DeVore wrote: »
    You know.... between those three posts, I'm beginning to formulate the basis for a brilliant solution...

DeV.

we are intrigued, please elaborate, and hopefully it does not include nuking the NW :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

DeVore wrote: »

DeV.

Sorry boss, the Zyklon B is on back order and won't be delivered until after the Christmas.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

You've ruined his Christmas Hagar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Just a quickie on this. CountingCrows will have access again on Saturday. Despite what people may have thought there were and are no differences between us. We have reached an understanding and I think both his and my contribution to the Sligo forum will be be a bit more relaxed.

Merry Xmas folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Glad to hear that it's been sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

muffler wrote: »
    Just a quickie on this. CountingCrows will have access again on Saturday. Despite what people may have thought there were and are no differences between us. We have reached an understanding and I think both his and my contribution to the Sligo forum will be be a bit more relaxed.

Merry Xmas folks.

Amen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

kittenbutter.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Ah. It didnt come out did it. But i got it in the email alert and I thought it was a self portrait of you having just supped your 12th pint of Guinness :D

Edit: It did upload

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Glad to hear it's been sorted! :)

Advertisement