Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interest Rate - switching mortgage?

Options
  • 18-12-2007 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

Seems as if my bank are putting up the interest rate on my variable rate mortgage by 0.1% in the new year. That'll make it 5.59%.

This is with one of the big 4 Irish banks. I don't consider myself "sub-prime", i.e. two people in steady jobs paying it back. Reckon its not too bad, or is it time to finally look at switching?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Rosielee

Hi Merrionsq

I had the same dilemma as yourself recently. I was paying 5.25% on a variable loan and I asked the EBS If I could remortgage and change to a tracker rate. Despite my good history with them, they refused on the basis that i didnt owe them enough to warrant changing to a tracker !!! crazy I know ... well i shopped around and decided to go with Halifax who offered me 4.4% tracker for the first year and 4.65% after that. My advice is to shop around and go with the crowd who will save you the most money longterm. To be honest I was very disappointed with the attitude of EBS that they didnt want to keep my business, but looking back im sorry i didnt switch earlier....

Best of Luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭BobbyD10

That sounds like a standard variable rate.

Ring the bank and ask for them to change you to a tracker mortgage.

Most fixed rates are less than that rate also, so enquire about that also.

Advertisement