Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving money from English to Irish bank

Options
  • 18-12-2007 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

Im coming home for Christmas tomorrow, and while I am there I want to get some money from my English account into my Irish one.

Whats the best value way to do this? Bring sterling with me and lodge it? Lodge a sterling cheque? Withdraw money in Ireland using my English debit card and lodge that? International bank transfer? Other?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Hey there, i'm doing the same at the moment. I transferred £400 from my Barclays to my Ulster bank account and it cost £20, plus the exchange rate was at the interbank rate, so quite good. Takes a few days though.

To be honest, that might be the handiest thing.

Also you can use your UK card just about everywhere in Ireland.

The Money Shop which is on most high streets in the UK seems to have a good rate.

Enjoy your Christmas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Nobrow

Wow. Now I dont consider that to be good value. When I moved over here I transferred nearly £2000 from Ireland and it only cost E0.50 ...

I havent looked into it but Im pretty sure my debit card costs me something like £1.20 every time I use it abroad so I want to avoid that. Perhaps just making one big withdrawal on it when Im home is best, but then theres probably a really low limit on it.

Anyone know whether there are fees at one end or both for lodging a foreign cheque?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

true, i don't consider that to be good value either. Would really welcome alternatives to the option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 thefox84

think you will find writing yourself a cheque the cheapest way to do this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

probably going through xetrade.com would be the easiest if you transferring a large amount

• Advertisement
Advertisement