Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a game to show off my new 8800 GTS

Options
  • 18-12-2007 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

As per the title. I should have my new PC in the next day or so, and now I am looking for games that will show off the capabilities of the 8800 GTS graphics card.

So far, I have Crysis on my most wanted list. Are there any more? I prefer first-person shooters and Real Time Strategy games, but I am open to anything.

Thanks,

TD.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

tom dunne wrote: »
    As per the title. I should have my new PC in the next day or so, and now I am looking for games that will show off the capabilities of the 8800 GTS graphics card.

So far, I have Crysis on my most wanted list. Are there any more? I prefer first-person shooters and Real Time Strategy games, but I am open to anything.

Thanks,

TD.

Call of Duty 4
    Bioshock
    Supreme Commander

Just three that come to mind as being quite intensive on the hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

For me so far the prettiest and most stunning games i've found are:

Crysis
    Call of Juarez (DX10 patched)
    Lost Planet: Extreme Condition

Lost Planet on a very high detail level at DX10 looks amazing on the PC, although it suffers a lot from having a really crappy capcom console ported control system. The explosions in it are simply amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Definitely Call of Duty 4's superb "All ghillied up" level
    Don't make the mistake of running Crysis, not only will it make your new graphics card seem totally inadequate, it's also a crap game to boot...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

tman's also a crap game with a boot

Oh sorry, forgot to mention an RTS:

Personally, i've found "World in Conflict" to look the best. One of the few RTS's i've played where you can zoom in on the individual units and they still look excellent. Although the GTS will suffer at high FSAA and AF settings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

company of heroes?
    i havent played most of the other ones and im kinda biased because i F**king love Coh.

zoom in and it looks like an rts from a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

i have one of those cards, got one a month or so ago but all i did with it was play 5 mins of bioshock and thats it. Supreme commander forged allaiance full grafix zoomed in looks good, but its more how impressive the detail is compared to the scale of the map than the actual grafix quality.

The specs for gears of war on pc are high and i havent installed that yet but that looks like it would be good

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I recommend installing Vista if you want to see some really fancy DX10 graphics. Crysis looks amazing, and I think World In Conflict also has a DX10 patch. Company Of Heroes: Opposing Front (think that's the name) has a DX10 patch some of the levels have loads of things going on at once, onscreen. It's fairly impressive.

i hate to go kinda off topic, but humanji

is the dx10 stuff worth the bother in company of heroes? i looked at a site where they were comparing it and apart from the "litter objects" there seemed to be very little to justify the big performance hit. im upgrading my graphics card soon and was just planing on staying in dx9 mode.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

If your looking for RTS sweetness, then you can't beat Company of Heroes. Its so good it would nearly pass as an FPS.

bastardsgotjohnny.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

i find vista is great for networked games and i have had no troubles except when i was on a 81x81k map with 8000+ units in play. Vista can handle much more than XP when it comes to actualy gameplay and i find it crashes less under eventfull games. But does quality really matter that much? i dont think my 8800 was worth it because shortly after installing it i went back to CNC TD and then CnC TS so if your like me and gameplay matters more than grafix i wouldnt be to bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

wouldnt touch vista with a bargepole.

Constant errors in drivers and relation to gaming.

Dont take my word if you dont want, just have a look through the web.

Vista is something to install down the line, for the moment keep with xp and dx9

your not missing out on anything major in the dx10 market :(

crysis the only game made with dx10 from scratch.

in time games will be mainstream dx10 and we will ALL have to upgrade, till then do yourself a favour and keep it xp and dx9

thats what i have with my 8800gts and its amazing...simply amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Some great suggestions, there, thanks for those.

I'm really out of the loop in terms of games. The last decent game I played (and finished :D) was HL2.

On a slightly related matter - something has just dawned on me. Is DX10 Vista only? I ordered the PC with XP. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

hehe. yup only vista has dx10 ;)

cant you force it for a lot of games? dont quote me on that, i just remember seeing it online.

wouldnt touch vista with a bargepole.

Constant errors in drivers and relation to gaming.

Dont take my word if you dont want, just have a look through the web.

Vista is something to install down the line, for the moment keep with xp and dx9

your not missing out on anything major in the dx10 market :(

crysis the only game made with dx10 from scratch.

in time games will be mainstream dx10 and we will ALL have to upgrade, till then do yourself a favour and keep it xp and dx9

thats what i have with my 8800gts and its amazing...simply amazing.

I've been running Vista for the last while and haven't had a bother. And it runs all my old games too, so it must be luck of the draw.
    Some great suggestions, there, thanks for those.

I'm really out of the loop in terms of games. The last decent game I played (and finished :D) was HL2.

On a slightly related matter - something has just dawned on me. Is DX10 Vista only? I ordered the PC with XP. :o

DX10 is Vista only. What I was planning to do with my new PC was install Vista and see what Crysis and other DX10 games looked like and then reinstall XP after, but as I said before, I haven't had a bother with Vista so just didn't bother changing back.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

humanji wrote: »
    DX10 is Vista only. What I was planning to do with my new PC was install Vista and see what Crysis and other DX10 games looked like and then reinstall XP after, but as I said before, I haven't had a bother with Vista so just didn't bother changing back.

How do I tell Mrs. Dunne that I am spending another €90 on a €900 PC after Christmas? :D

Quote: "what do you mean it doesn't come with a keyboard,mouse or screen?". Women. Pfft.

How do I tell Mrs. Dunne that I am spending another €90 on a €900 PC after Christmas? :D

Quote: "what do you mean it doesn't come with a keyboard,mouse or screen?". Women. Pfft.

just show her this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY_CidIS8YM

its from a swedish beauty and the geek where they try to explain the difference between a pc and a screen.

uglyjohn wrote: »
    i hate to go kinda off topic, but humanji

is the dx10 stuff worth the bother in company of heroes? i looked at a site where they were comparing it and apart from the "litter objects" there seemed to be very little to justify the big performance hit. im upgrading my graphics card soon and was just planing on staying in dx9 mode.

Well, with Company Of Heroes I think there's a slight graphical improvement with light and that and the main focus is on having the lots and lots of litter objects moving on screen at the one time. I wouldn't upgrade to Vista solely for COH, but since all my games work with Vista anyway, I can still play those and get the GFX improvements for the Vista games.

Simple, ask her if she's putting on weight. She'll run off crying and will forget about the €90. Granted, you won't be having sex for a long time, but you're married, so you're probably not getting much anyway :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Is that a particularly good card ? I have it, wasn't aware it was that great! Crysis made me feel a bit **** about my new pc alright. Runs fine on High settings with occasional slowdown...I hate slowdown.

Bioshock runs perfectly on high settings and looks great.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I keep hearing the same thing about Crysis in that it is future proofed with high end settings that even todays hardware couldn't handle, so don't feel too bad.

delly wrote: »
    I keep hearing the same thing about Crysis in that it is future proofed with high end settings that even todays hardware couldn't handle, so don't feel too bad.

Farcry was the same, it was a good while after release that your average PC gamer was able to play it on all high settings. It adds longevity to a game if you've got a reason (other than gameplay and multiplayer :rolleyes:) to come back to it. I know i'll be leaving it installed and when I get the next gen of graphics cards will be playing through it again to experience the levels (damn you ascent :mad:) that I had to turn the graphics down on.

Also, humanji, I was in the exact same boat as you. I installed Vista as a second partition, thinking i'd only use it for DX10 games. But after a few weeks of use and no major issues with anything (i'm running Vista x64 so I should be getting MORE driver issues) I uninstalled XP and only use Vista now. I work with software developers and sys admins and we all have vista installed at home (usually alongside ubuntu ;)) and none of us have had any major issues.

People who will tell you otherwise are either riding the hype over how crap Vista is or encountered a minor issue, and instead of googling it just uninstalled it.

Basically, try it for yourself and see.

Also, if you are going to overclock, use rivatuner. DONT use ntune *ugh* and check the nvidia site when you get the card for the latest drivers.

Advertisement