Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N17 Galway to Tuam dual carriageway confirmed to be M17

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Neworder79 wrote: »
    Good to see plans coming along for the "Atlantic corridor". With the Galway - Tuam M17, Claremorris-Knock by-pass 2+1 retrofit and the proposed Charlestown - Tubbercurry N17 dual carrigeway most of the Galway to Sligo route will be of good quality.

But what happens when you leave motorway north of Tuam. One of the worst stretches of the the N17 is from Tuam to the Mayo border, narrow dangerous bends and side roads to Ballendine. Are Galway and Mayo CoCos working on a realignment for this stretch?
    Select N17 on this page to see what's planned. Seems the lowest standard part of the entire N17 will be the Knock/Charlestown bypass which is currently partly grade separated WS2 but will be retroffitted with 2+1 with wire barrier. The rest of the route will be motorway or type 2 duall cariageway (2+2 with wire barrier, no median crossings, lilo junctions and minor roads closed/diverted/bridged over and major roads grade separated). The N17 will be a very good road all in all and will provide alternatives for Belfast bound traffic with the A4 being dualled to Ballygawley and (one would hope) additional schemes possibly involving a bypass of Enniskillen. You'll have an almost complete dual carriageway or better link between Sligo and Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

murphaph wrote: »
    You'll have an almost complete dual carriageway or better link between Sligo and Cork.

When they get around to upgrading the N20 Limerick-Cork goat track sometime much later this century...

Sorry, I know, it's like a stuck record to keep bringing this up. But it is unacceptable, not to mention lethal and detrimental to commerce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭ga2re2t

Just doing a bit of Google Maps doodling and came up with the following:
    Proposed N6, N17 and N18

I just did it quickly so sorry about all the inaccuarcies. If I get time I'll finish it someday :)
    Hope this helps the thread discussion somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Seems a bit bizarre to me that the M17/18 doesn't veer more towards Galway city. This means that ultimately, the Athenry-Galway section of the N6 will be catering for ALL traffic to/from Galway (bar Connemara)!

D.L.R. wrote: »
    Seems a bit bizarre to me that the M17/18 doesn't veer more towards Galway city. This means that ultimately, the Athenry-Galway section of the N6 will be catering for ALL traffic to/from Galway (bar Connemara)!
    Yeah, it does kind of seem like this, although there are other possibilities. I've updated my Google maps drawing with the proposed road junctions, so this should help the conversation:
    Proposed N6, N17 and N18

As you can see, those coming from Limerick could transfer to the old N18 at the proposed Kiltiernan interchange. Those coming from Sligo could transfer to the old N17 at Tuam, or via the N63 at the Annagh Hill Interchange. Of course, the porposed Galway Outer Bypass should allow traffic to freely flow around the city. Note that there seems to be no plan to create a junction from the proposed new N18 to the current (future old) N6. Also note the large amount of (useless?) junctions present on the proposed N6 (unless I misunderstood the plans).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭transylman

With its increased length and congested entry point into the city I don't see that new N17 taking much of the traffic off the old N17 (especially if the Claregalway bypass is completed).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

transylman wrote: »
    With its increased length and congested entry point into the city I don't see that new N17 taking much of the traffic off the old N17 (especially if the Claregalway bypass is completed).

It's certainly not going to be as effective as it could be , it veers way too far from Galway so must commuters from North of Galway still have to use the Claregalway N17 route, unless they are willing to add considerable length to their journey, for eg, N17 to Galway from Tuam is approx 21 Miles, going the new M17 will make it 28 Miles.It's not rocket science to see that the majority of road users on the existing N17 are local . Shame the M17 dosen't cater for the majority in the Galway area.:mad:

Has anyone noticed that there will be no junction on the proposed Galway City outer bypass to the current N17? Any ideas why this is so? I was thinking it might be to force people going from Galway City West to Sligo to use the new motorway. I also imagine that as the current N17 will be downgraded to a regional road it would be desirable to limit the creation of junctions so as to only link to national roads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It was assumed there would be a dual carriageway to Claregalway underneath , honest.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    It was assumed there would be a dual carriageway to Claregalway underneath , honest.
    Agreed that the new road will be a long way from Galway and Galway traffic heading north would be better off using the N17/N63 then join M17 at the intermediate junction near Deerpark.

The Claregalway BP should bypass to the east of the town and make landfall at the N63. This would steer traffic towards the desired route.

However you would probably need to dual all of this, N17/Claregalway BP/N63 as far as M17.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

spacetweek wrote: »

However you would probably need to dual all of this, N17/Claregalway BP/N63 as far as M17.

Yep, there is no money for this project though . 10 miles of dual including a Claregalway bypass which is badly needed no matter if the new N17 is built.

Sure there is no money to build 1 mile of Dual from Corrib Park to Rahoon and thats done all its hearings already.

Nobody listens to Noel Grealish much less Fidelma thingy-wotsit. Especially Noel

http://www.progressivedemocrats.ie/press_room/1422/

may 2005
    The Chief Executive of the NRA, Mr Fred Barry, has confirmed to me that the Claregalway bypass is to get the green light. This is fantastic news for the people of Claregalway who have campaigned and petitioned so hard for this project.'

At present, 30,000 cars travel through the village on a daily basis, and local residents have been calling for the construction of a bypass in order to relieve the village of congestion and heavy traffic volumes.

'I have had numerous meetings with the NRA on this issue, making the case for the bypass and expressing the views of local residents, and I was therefore delighted to be informed by the Chief Executive that approval, in principle, is being given,' says Deputy Grealish.

'This is a hugely important piece of local infrastructure and badly needed in the village of Claregalway. However, it is important now to ensure that there is proper consultation with all sides, that the process is moved forward with all local concerns on board, and the proper and appropriate valuations of the land required are carried out.'

The NRA gave Galway County Council 3 months to buy the land in 2005 so Noel was not lying outright , they failed, game over.

http://www.galwayadvertiser.ie/dws/story.tpl?inc=2005/08/18/news/21171.html
    The new N17 will take approximately three to five years to complete

So the council believes the M17 will be finished sometime between august 2008 and august 2010 . Great news...but HARK , its not started yet and no EIS is published and no Hearings have taken place .

I would personally think its still 3 to 5 years away (nearer 5) ....2.5 years later :(

ga2re2t wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed that there will be no junction on the proposed Galway City outer bypass to the current N17? Any ideas why this is so?
    I think I figured it out (not that anyone really cares apparently).
    Those using the Galway Bypass (coming from the west) and who wish to access the existing N17 between Claregalway and Tuam and also the N63 between Claregalway and the new M17 will take the Glenascaul Junction exit and use the existing N18. The Claregalway bypass would have to be built (to the east) for this to work.
    Of course, the same goes for people travelling in the opposite direction.

This will reduce traffic on the N17 in the section between Galway City and Claregalway.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved to Infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Enbee

galwayrush wrote: »
    It's certainly not going to be as effective as it could be , it veers way too far from Galway so must commuters from North of Galway still have to use the Claregalway N17 route, unless they are willing to add considerable length to their journey, for eg, N17 to Galway from Tuam is approx 21 Miles, going the new M17 will make it 28 Miles.It's not rocket science to see that the majority of road users on the existing N17 are local . Shame the M17 dosen't cater for the majority in the Galway area.:mad:

It's another bizarre decision - especially as shifting the route a little to the west would also have seen it pass close to the airport. The Atlantic Corridor idea is all well and good but the failure to cater for the commuter traffic along the route is just mind boggling.

It's too late to alter this though - isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Enbee wrote: »
    It's too late to alter this though - isn't it?
    Hopefully, Galway unlike Dublin is gifted with visionaries on its council,
    in Dublin, our councillors put the bypass(M50) too close to the city, that led to commuters using it, when it should only ever have been a bypass! Honest!

Result, we are still building(widening) it and now we have determined that we need another bypass of that bypass so that less commuters will use it, so that it will be easy for people going from Larne to Rosslare to avoid Dublin.
    So first bypass was the South circular and North Circular roads,
    then we had the M50, and now we need a third bypass of the city!

Thankfully it seems Galway CoCo are learning from Dublin's catastrophic errors in judgement, and are going to build it far enough out from the city, so it will be of little use to commuters but it will be perfect for people travelling from Letterkenny etc in the Northwest to Cork etc in the South West. Just when I was beginning to despair at the quality of our councillors, along come some forward thinking councillors. Why can't Dublin get councillors like these?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭serfboard

Thankfully it seems Galway CoCo are learning from Dublin's catastrophic errors in judgement, and are going to build it far enough out from the city, so it will be of little use to commuters but it will be perfect for people travelling from Letterkenny etc in the Northwest to Cork etc in the South West. Just when I was beginning to despair at the quality of our councillors, along come some forward thinking councillors. Why can't Dublin get councillors like these?

This is going to set off a storm of abuse, because it seems the vast majority of people on here disagree with you. I'm not one of them. Of course it should discourage commuters. Commuters should not be using it. That's why we (should :rolleyes:) have public transport (i.e. buses).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I agree keep it as far away from that traffic hole as possible. It's ideal for north/south bound traffic. If it gets done it will be interesting to see how much traffic will use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

The top bit of the Rathmorrisey junction (north to south, connecting M18 to M17) will be the quietest bit of motorway in the country.

Hopefully, Galway unlike Dublin is gifted with visionaries on its council,
    in Dublin, our councillors put the bypass(M50) too close to the city, that led to commuters using it, when it should only ever have been a bypass! Honest!

Result, we are still building(widening) it and now we have determined that we need another bypass of that bypass so that less commuters will use it, so that it will be easy for people going from Larne to Rosslare to avoid Dublin.
    So first bypass was the South circular and North Circular roads,
    then we had the M50, and now we need a third bypass of the city!

The southern section of the M50 is as far from the city as it could have been unless it was going to be a tunnel. Its use by commuters was inevitable given the car dependency of the suburbs.

Although I trust that route selection is done logically I'm puzzled by the M17-18 routing. It's an inter-urban but misses one destination by some distance - imagine the M8 terminating at Midleton and you have an idea of how strange the M18 from Limerick to Galway and M/N17 from Sligo to Galway look.

I've no idea what criteria would have necessitated the current route but a quick glance shows that it could have been several km to the west without increasing the route length.
    The top bit of the Rathmorrisey junction (north to south, connecting M18 to M17) will be the quietest bit of motorway in the country.

Yup. Is there really going to motorway volume traffic from Sligo to Limerick? Surely this interchange would have been better sited beside Galway Airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Although I trust that route selection is done logically I'm puzzled by the M17-18 routing. It's an inter-urban but misses one destination of the main cities by some distance - imagine the M8 terminating at Midleton and you have an idea of how strange the M18 from Limerick to Galway and M/N17 from Sligo to Galway look.

I've no idea what criteria would have necessitated the current route but a quick glance shows that it could have been several km to the west without increasing the route length.

Is there really going to motorway volume traffic from Sligo to Limerick? Surely this interchange would have been better sited beside Galway Airport?

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Is there really going to motorway volume traffic from Sligo to Limerick?
    What, are you trolling or something? - some people think there is even a need for regular train service between Sligo and Limerick - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=141318&page=98

Bending the Sligo - Limerick road towards Galway city just makes it a longer journey for those not wishing to go to Galway city! You seem to think its a road TO Galway city, when its a road being built to AVOID Galway city!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

That said, if they'd swung the whole thing further west and built a junction and a linkroad to the north of Claregalway it would have solved that problem in one fell swoop.

As it stands, with no N17 junction on the planned Outer Bypass and a detour to Athenry to get on the M17, the motorway WILL NOT SOLVE the Claregalway problem.

What, are you trolling or something? - some people think there is even a need for regular train service between Sligo and Limerick - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=141318&page=98

Bending the Sligo - Limerick road towards Galway city just makes it a longer journey for those not wishing to go to Galway city! You seem to think its a road TO Galway city, when its a road being built to AVOID Galway city!

Routing it so the M6-17-18 interchange was adjacent to the airport would have made little difference to the route length but still have had it avoiding Galway. I know this debate as been done to death with regard to this particular route but it still seems odd. It probably will relieve the N17 but at a cost of adding additional distance to the Tuam-Galway commute. Is that environmentally sound? Hopefully this won't matter if more environmentally friendly fuels are developed in the future.

For better or for worse Ireland's motorways are primarily commuter routes. Much as I'd prefer a public transport system like those enjoyed by the Swiss or Austrians we're not the same kind of small country as them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

No doubt readers of this thread will have read this depressing news

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2009/1001/1224255612639.html
    Irish Times Thursday October 1st Greens seek major gains to offset budgetary pains Transport policy is another key area for the Greens and the party wants to see a reversal of the current ratio of investment in public transport by comparison with roads, with 94 road projects at the design or earlier stages being scrapped. The Atlantic road corridor and the eastern bypass plans would be dropped, while the western rail project would be extended.

Subject already debated on WRC thread but it seems the Greens are going to kill off our much needed Atlantic Road corridor. Its almost like an act of spite - not only will we keep FF in power and let them push through NAMA but we will also impose our will on everyone who owns a car and force them to spend the next ten years in a traffic jam in Claregalway. The greens will deserve to be annihalated at the next election.

Advertisement