Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to keep the dog amused daytimes

Options
  • 18-12-2007 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭

Hi all

My OH has gone back to work full-time, which means our dog is in the house on her own through the day. I'm lucky enough that I can go home at lunchtimes to let her out & play with her for a few minutes, and I'm home just after 5, so it's not tooooo long a day.
    Can't leave her in the garden as I don't have a gate at the top of the driveway yet & she chases the odd car or van that comes down our boreen & we're obviously terrified that she'd come to harm.
    So, I'm looking for things to keep her amused during the day. She doesn't play with toys & luckily she doesn't chomp furniture or anything. She's really good but I'd love to have an idea or two for things that would take her attention even a few minutes a day. Oh aye, she's a terrier cross bitch, about 3 years old.
    Any ideas, folks?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭lurchin along

I leave the TV on for mine.They have very poor taste though and enjoy the Afternoon Show...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

How about a Kong? Available in most vets and pet shops.

http://www.kongcompany.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Hey, the Kong looks a good idea, thanks for that! I saw something very similar on Monkey Business a while ago too :D

Ref the TV, yeah, I don't want her picking up bad habits - my OH doesn't watch soaps & I'll be damned if I'm watching Home & Away because the dog's hooked!

Thanks for the help, any further ideas welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

a kong is the best and i always leave the radio on - it works wonders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

mine usually comes out in the car but if I have to leave her at home I leave the TV or radio on and leave a little pile of treats, might just be me, but I don't leave anything that could cause choking like a rawhide or dried tripe, but then again mine tries to swallow these things whole, most normal dogs probably chew them up first lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭TheB

Toulouse wrote: »
    How about a Kong? Available in most vets and pet shops.

http://www.kongcompany.com/

They are really good.. we leave some randomly about the kitchen & living room when we go out .. usually stuffed with Biscuits (peanut butter is a favourite but can only be on tiles - too messy!)

Ours watch telly too.. they like UKTV Food channels.. Nigella & Co are good as ours love the noises the channel makes.. all that sizzling and frying etc.. They'd be even happier if it was Smell-O-Vision or Lick-A-Vision.. :)

Bx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭michelleans

I've got something like this for my boy. He loves it!! Figured out how to get the treats out in a minute though :D He has a kong too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Excellent stuff, folks, thanks for all the ideas.

Got me thinking - she follows mea round when I come home to make sure I light the fire properly etc :D, but she doesn't settle on her rug till the TV is on- hadn't really thought about that before!

Thanks again

Advertisement