Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CompSys 4th year electives

Options
  • 18-12-2007 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    Does anyone have recommendations/thoughts on the 4th year 2nd semester electives?

CS4228 Telecommunications Network Architectures 2 (CN)
    CS4358 Interactive Media (DM)
    CS4558 Leveraging Legacy Applications (IS2)
    CS4568 Advanced Software Quality (SE)

Think i've had enough of networking and telecomms. (Did networks, TNA1 and CCNA)
    What's involved in "leveraging legacy applications"? Is the cobol module a requirement for this?
    Interactive Media is mostly flash, right?
    Is Paddy H involved in any of the modules (most important question!)
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Interactive media is mostly flash. I dont know who is doing it this year (Dr. Nick did it last year if I remember correctly)

I didn't do legacy applications but I heard it was quite easy compared to the rest.

I did Telecoms 2 (Much the same as Telecoms 1, but with a focus on wireless stuff, GSM, Bluetooth and the like. Thought it was very interesting tbh) and SW Quality (Michael Lane for the first bit, and Michael English for the other, impossible, maths bits)

Not sure if the good doctor healy is involved with any of these modules. I'd wager Michael Coughlan still does Legacy apps, and of course Seamus is doing networks.

There'll be another few goons along with some more opinions soon I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

There was problems with Interactive Media projects last year iirc; stupid stuff causing hardship.

tbh, it's worth continuing the telecoms stream; part deux is a hell of a lot more 'today' rather than 'back in the day'.

Actually, now that I think of it, you are pretty much tied into the streams you picked at the start of first year. I don't have the doc handy but some of the modules won't let you cnahge to them cos you wont have done the first part. [open to correction cos I cant think of which modules]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

All food for thought. Thanks peeps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Hi folks,
    Does anyone have recommendations/thoughts on the 4th year 2nd semester electives?

CS4228 Telecommunications Network Architectures 2 (CN)
    CS4358 Interactive Media (DM)
    CS4558 Leveraging Legacy Applications (IS2)
    CS4568 Advanced Software Quality (SE)

Think i've had enough of networking and telecomms. (Did networks, TNA1 and CCNA)
    What's involved in "leveraging legacy applications"? Is the cobol module a requirement for this?
    Interactive Media is mostly flash, right?
    Is Paddy H involved in any of the modules (most important question!)
    Thanks

I did Telecoms & Advanced SW Quality myself. As far as I know Interactive Media involves Flash but there's a lot of other stuff in the module aswell not sure exactly what but I'm sure someone else will be able to tell you. I think you'd have to have done Cobol to the Legacy Apps module. Paddy Healy is involved in none of the above.

The Telecoms 2 module is pretty interesting (covers GSM and a few other things). Advanced SW Quality is alright but the exam was a whore to study for and do (in my opinion).

Advertisement