Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crap flung at UCD

Options
  • 18-12-2007 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭

I'm a recent graduate, and since I'm moved on to pastures new, my alma mater doesn't have the best of reputations. Many see it as a face-less monster etc.,etc.,etc., I enjoyed my term in the university, not all the time but I think it moulded me well.

But to the heel of the hunt, what I am most suprised about is the proposed development of UCD, it really has, an is, being given some bad press, people think it is "unnecessary," to quote one colleague. Surely there is a pr compan for the college and why aren't they doing anything to try and correct the name of the college?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Sunset V wrote: »
    I'm a recent graduate, and since I'm moved on to pastures new, my alma mater doesn't have the best of reputations. Many see it as a face-less monster etc.,etc.,etc., I enjoyed my term in the university, not all the time but I think it moulded me well.

But to the heel of the hunt, what I am most suprised about is the proposed development of UCD, it really has, an is, being given some bad press, people think it is "unnecessary," to quote one colleague. Surely there is a pr compan for the college and why aren't they doing anything to try and correct the name of the college?

Actually, the university has been replaced by a PR company. The gateway project is their boldest stroke.

If you don't agree, you're stuck in the past.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

^^^ exactly what most people are thinking. The amount of bureaucracy in the college quite frankly would take a PhD in itself to understand! There are so many simple deserving things in the college that would use the money a lot better than the PR money pit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Ernie Ball wrote: »
    Actually, the university has been replaced by a PR company. The gateway project is their boldest stroke.
    QFT

Anyone throw their eye over the President's report?
    It's very shiney.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Macka

Anyone else disappointed that this isn't a thread about some elaborate faecal assault on UCD?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Red Alert wrote: »
    The amount of bureaucracy in the college quite frankly would take a PhD in itself to understand!
    Em, yes actually. While admin is generally considered donkey work to the mortals, to do it well takes a bit of intelligence. A lot of the head positions are covered by doctorates of some sort, be they admin qualified or not. Who would have thought the head of exams admin would be a Doctor.

/queue onslaught re: S&M/

Fact is, you want the best, you go get the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Sunset V wrote: »

Its jealousy IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

I agree. DIT came under fire this week for saying they feel they should be a University, any college with big plans come under available - it's pretty standard if you ask me.

I agree. DIT came under fire this week for saying they feel they should be a University, any college with big plans come under available - it's pretty standard if you ask me.

Oh, yes, they are jealous of the intellectual powerhouse that is today's UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Ok, UCD has a lot of problems, and Im not happy with some of the changes. But, look at some of the results. The conway institute and the quinn school are probably two of the finest schools in Ireland and as the money keeps coming in Im sure the plan is to bring all the schools up to their standard. I am impressed how the college put in all those new computers (which I dont know if it was the aim, greatly tackled the bebo problem) and research is getting the priority it deserves.

S&M is a total mess at the moment, but it can work: it worked without a hitch in Quinn for years. And having a degree at the international standard adds value IMO.

Lots and lots of problems to solve, but going in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

QFT

It's very shiney.
    Just read it. What exactly is the problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

Macka wrote: »
    Anyone else disappointed that this isn't a thread about some elaborate faecal assault on UCD?

Thats the reason I'm here. How disappointed am I!

Ernie Ball wrote: »
    Oh, yes, they are jealous of the intellectual powerhouse that is today's UCD.

To be honest UCD gets a huge amount of research funding.

All the Universities are trying to get the people who get 450 points plus - that's only 17% or so of the candidates sitting the CAO, competition to get those students is getting strong and stronger by the year and as a result a big project like this will made UCD a bigger and more robust college with state of the Art facilities - that's obviously going to be a draw.

To be honest UCD gets a huge amount of research funding.

All the Universities are trying to get the people who get 450 points plus - that's only 17% or so of the candidates sitting the CAO, competition to get those students is getting strong and stronger by the year and as a result a big project like this will made UCD a bigger and more robust college with state of the Art facilities - that's obviously going to be a draw.

In what fantasy-land? Can we hear from someone who hasn't drunk the Brady Kool-Aid?

You cannot make any university better by alienating 80% of its staff. Those who can leave, will leave. It will be difficult to recruit anyone who has a better option (lecturers do talk to one another).

Those who stay will go into internal exile or unofficial work to rule. It takes a lot of dedication to be a lecturer and in an environment in which they are constantly run down, told that they can't be trusted to do their jobs and that a bunch of bureaucrats know better what they should be doing and how they should be doing it, they'll just decide to put in the minimum.

And that is the issue. A university is its people and not some set of fancy buildings filled with computers. Treat them well and act like you believe in them and you'll get the best out of them. Treat them like **** and you'll get exactly what Brady has got.

As for these "international rankings": they are entirely bogus and meaningless. UCD only rose in the THES ranking because they changed the methodology between last year and this year. But you'd think it's asking a lot to insist that people not be so gullible as to think that a university can, in one year, rise 50 (meaningless) places. All that has changed is the bean counting.

By any real measure, UCD is bad and getting worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭stolenwine

QFT

It's very shiney.

Where can I get a hard copy of the report?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Just read it. What exactly is the problem?

Nothing, it's just shiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

The conway institute and the quinn school are probably two of the finest schools in Ireland

Yay Conway!

It's funny how the majority of UCD students aren't even aware of it, especially seeing the incredible (and deserved) amount of funding it gets from a wide variety of sources.

I think it's because it's so well hidden - I had to go in their once for biochemistry and it took us an age to find the blooming students entrance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

mloc wrote: »
    Yay Conway!

It's funny how the majority of UCD students aren't even aware of it, especially seeing the incredible (and deserved) amount of funding it gets from a wide variety of sources.

I've heard it's loosing money and taking money from funding for other depts... not sure if this is true or not but would be kinda irritated if it was...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

losing money in what sense? Conway usually gets funding from extra-UCD sources, I would be very suprised if it was "losing money" as such.

Advertisement