Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi Central Locking problem

Options
  • 18-12-2007 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭

looking for some input from knowledgeable people here please if possible.

My A4 central locking stopped working a few weeks ago for a day or so. Then it worked again and was fine for a week or so. then intermittently it will stop working for the day and may work later on that day. I was suspicious it was to do with the cold and maybe some circuit/damage but it's been very cold the last few days and it has been fine up until this evening again.

It's a pain because i can't lock the car, to clarify the A4 is locked by a button on the driver side. There are no locks on any of the other doors so i can't lock the car with the key, it will only lock the drivers door. The keyfob is working because it will open the boot, it is the central locking system itself.

It always opens fine, it just won't lock intermittently. I spoke with a guy who mentioned the controller unit may have got damp, it's seemingly located under the battery but i have no tools to go looking at it and dry it out or clean it or whatever may need to be done. If it was blown then fair enough but this intermittent thing is driving me crazy. And if the keyfob opens the boot you would imagine it is not the central locking system in total.

Any ideas anyone? Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I had a '96 A4 that I got from an Audi main dealer in 2004 and they had to replace the central locking "pump" under warranty.

The salesman told me afterwards it cost €300 and it was in the boot. I don't know if it was trade or retail price but he said it was a quick job to change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

cantdecide wrote: »
    I had a '96 A4 that I got from an Audi main dealer in 2004 and they had to replace the central locking "pump" under warranty.

The salesman told me afterwards it cost €300 and it was in the boot. I don't know if it was trade or retail price but he said it was a quick job to change it.

A regular Audi fault - and yes, the vacuum pump is in the boot. However, OP doesn't mention the year of his A4, and AFAIK, Audi stopped using the vacuum pump in favour of solenoids on later models.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭tippbhoy

crosstownk wrote: »
    A regular Audi fault - and yes, the vacuum pump is in the boot. However, OP doesn't mention the year of his A4, and AFAIK, Audi stopped using the vacuum pump in favour of solenoids on later models.

Sorry should have mentioned, it is 2001. From what i can seem to find on the internet this model has an electric device and is located under the passenger seat floor someplace. The pump failure seems to be very common as well but that is in the earlier model.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Your best bet is to have the fault memory interrogated - it might show up something in the Central Convenience Electronics.

I've never removed the convenience control unit on an A4, but I've removed plenty on Passats off that era. On a Passat it's located under the carpet on the passenger side. Lift up any trim on the sill panel (rubber seals, plastic trim, etc) and reach in, you should find the CU if it is there - it's located inside a plastic box. I know on Passats that water ingress led to failure of the control unit on plenty of cars. It's worth a check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭tippbhoy

crosstownk wrote: »
    Your best bet is to have the fault memory interrogated - it might show up something in the Central Convenience Electronics.

I've never removed the convenience control unit on an A4, but I've removed plenty on Passats off that era. On a Passat it's located under the carpet on the passenger side. Lift up any trim on the sill panel (rubber seals, plastic trim, etc) and reach in, you should find the CU if it is there - it's located inside a plastic box. I know on Passats that water ingress led to failure of the control unit on plenty of cars. It's worth a check.

yeah thats what i think has to be done, just the thoughts of trying to lift the carpet. Seems like a lot of work but if that's what it takes.

Thanks for your help :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

tippbhoy wrote: »
    yeah thats what i think has to be done, just the thoughts of trying to lift the carpet. Seems like a lot of work but if that's what it takes.

Thanks for your help :)
    You won't have to touch the carpet, you just need access to VAG Com.

Advertisement