Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Electric window on my Passat is busted

Options
  • 18-12-2007 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

I've a '01 VW Passat on which the drivers window has stopped working. Now I've done a little research and taken off the inner panel of the door. From what I can see, the holding clips are still attached to the window (so I'm assuming they're not broken).
    I've done a little ringing aroujd and looking on some VW websites and think that the lifting cables are broken.
    I can get a window regulator replacement tommorow, so thinking of doing the work over the weekend, but never done this before.
    My question is has anyone done this themselves?
    Would I be better off going to a mechanic with the part and getting them to do it. (And don't want to go to main dealer-they quoted €250+ to do the work and supply part)
    Any thoughts gratefully recieved
    Robert

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Do modern VWs have that cable system that always broke??

I don't know too much about them but I had one replaced in my last car- It was a scissors type regulator for a BMW. I got the part second hand on ebay for about €50 and it was fitted for a further €100 IIRC.

A panel beater is the guy who will know these things best. If you are heavy handed, you will possibly cause creaks and squeaks in the door. I think also that some cars have disposable panel clips that are best replaced when you remove the door panel.

My advice is let a panel beater fix it for you. It shouldn't cost that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I'd give it a go if i was you, nothing ventured nothing gained!.... if its a common VW fault there's bound to be some tutorials on the internet....

Remember don't let the window drop when the mechanism is out ( some good aul brown packing tape should do! )...

Also it goes without saying keep your figers clear of the mechanism when testing it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

I had a similar problem with my golf and after much head scratching it turned out to be a broken wire, found it by pulling back the rubber slieve between the door and "a" pillar and reconnected it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

VW Passat window motors, door control units (which operate the motor) and window switches all give trouble. Do you know anyone with a similar Passat who would let you swap his drivers door window switch pack temporarily just to verify that it isn't the switch?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Robertd_07

Don't think its the switches, cause when I press the window button, the motor moves, but there's an awful grinding noise (and it only moves a little bit-up and down and then I've to pull it up the rest of the way).
    When I had the inner panel off I could feel the cables on both sides, and one was tight while the other was quite loose.
    That, and the fact that the window didn't fall into the door (as I believe happens when the regulators break) make me think it's the cables.
    Won't get a chance to take a proper look till Saturday so think I might get the window regulator replacement anyway, and then if it isn't that, then I'll get a new motor or whatever's broken.
    If anyone's experienced that grinding noise it'd be useful to know what it is.
    Thanks for the replys so far,
    Robert

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Sounds to me like the window regulator is gone, common enough problem. You'll need a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 tonneman72

Yes it is most likely your window regulator, however it is a very difficult job for an ordinary joe. I personaly have changed 100s of them and see non franchise mechanic making a mess of doing it. One of the many tasks involved in doing it is to remove the door barrel by releasing the retaining screw but if you screw it out to far the bits fall into the door and the job get bigger.

Advertisement