Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Understanding Arabic as a Muslim

• 18-12-2007 7:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere. Lots of talk about Arabic, but couldn't find a specific answer to this.

Is it necessary to be able to fluently communicate in Arabic to get a full understanding of the Quran? From what I read, Muslims believe that Christianity and Judaism distorted the true Abrahamic religion through translation or otherwise. However, if an Irish person was to convert, would they need to know the language fluently, or do the most important phrases suffice?

If not, what are the levels of Arabic among the Muslims here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Suff

Is it necessary to be able to fluently communicate in Arabic to get a full understanding of the Quran?

You can clearly understand the meaning of the Quraan by reading the english translations, however the actual words are much more meaningful and the experience is much more rewarding. (nice recitation which refers to the Quraan being Arabic)

this is one of my fav suras (55: Al Rahman)
    From what I read, Muslims believe that Christianity and Judaism distorted the true Abrahamic religion through translation or otherwise.

It did play some part but not a major one.
    if an Irish person was to convert, would they need to know the language fluently, or do the most important phrases suffice?

They learn the language through the faith. Most new converts have no backround in arabic, the learning part is not as hard as some people might think. the Prayer (actual physical prayer) must be conducted in Arabic; hence the Quraan, its a daily exercise for your arabic pronunciations. and you would be amazed on the level of perfect pronunciations of some of the new converts.

My uncle is german, he converted around 23 years ago, today he can perfectly understand arabic.

I am fluent, since its my mother langauge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

Is it necessary to be able to fluently communicate in Arabic to get a full understanding of the Quran?
    Is it possible to ever get a full understanding of the Quran since it is the word of God and may contain many meanings not apparent to us now.

In general, as Suff has said, the English translations (Ali, Shakir, Asad, Pictall) are good enough to get a good understanding of the meaning but the Arabic does deliver something extra and must always be referred back to if a serious discussion about the meaning of a verse is to be conducted since the translator, through no fault of their own, may have missed something in their translation as they first need to make an interpretation before they can perform the translation.
    However, if an Irish person was to convert, would they need to know the language fluently, or do the most important phrases suffice?
    A Muslim does not need to know Arabic fluently but it often tends to happen anyway (like with Suff's uncle). And despite the complexity of Arabic in the Quran, it's also somehow very flowing and easy understand. Very difficult to describe actually.
    Arabic is my second language and whenever I read the Quran, I like to have a copy of an English translation handy to refer to just in case there are any words I don't understand. I find it's also a good way to improve my Arabic.

Advertisement