Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New AIB debit card replacing banklink card

Options
  • 18-12-2007 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys
    I received my new aib debit card last week that replaces my existing banklink card. Only thing is, all references to this card (t&c, fees etc) refer to a current account, whereas my account is actually a cashsave a/c, so i am unsure as to whether i can assume that these T&C's refer to my a/c.

I tried phoning aib's "dedicated debit card info line", who obviously didnt understand what i was trying to ask and put me through to phone and internet banking "as they would be able to tell me whether my a/c was current or cashsave."

I was wondering if, as you can not open a cashsave a/c anymore(for about 5 years i think), are aib trying to move existing cashsave customers to current accounts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭nonamemark

I got mine the last day too, so is there no such thing as a simple AIB bank card anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Why are they doing it? I know FA about credit/debit cards but seeing as I am carrying around a 16 digit card number in my pocket now, should I lose the card couldnt someone go online and start buying immediately? Whats my cover? Why did they even have to change it? Fair enough, give me a laser card, but let me still use my old ATM.

I would call AIB but i cant be arsed being put on hold again listening to feckin M People for 10 minutes.

Another downside is that now more people have these cards we will see more **** holding up shop queues buying 3 or 4 cans of Bulmers with the card. Honestly, if you dont have the cash to buy a few tins you shouldnt be allowed to drink, you are too retarded simple as.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

shane86 wrote: »

I would call AIB but i cant be arsed being put on hold again listening to feckin M People for 10 minutes..
    i'm on hold with them now, and its Franks sinatra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It is more the chargers pers transaction on the laser card that I object to.
    Yes there are charges for taking money out at an atm but you won't do that as often as each laser transaction.
    B Account Transaction Fees
    Automated/Self Service Transactions €0.20 each
    This fee applies to the following transactions:
    • ATM withdrawals
    • Standing orders
    • Direct debits
    • Lodgements (e.g. Salary)
    • Internet and phone account transactions
    • AIB Debit Card transactions

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭nonamemark

Another downside is that now more people have these cards we will see more **** holding up shop queues buying 3 or 4 cans of Bulmers with the card. Honestly, if you dont have the cash to buy a few tins you shouldnt be allowed to drink, you are too retarded simple as.

Most shops have at least a €10 or €15 minimum buy to use a card. Plus what you said makes no sence. They do have the cash, it's in the bank, it's a Lazer not a Credit Card. Let's say there is no ATM close or it's broken. Have some patience FFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Thaedydal wrote: »
    It is more the chargers pers transaction on the laser card that I object to.
    Yes there are charges for taking money out at an atm but you won't do that as often as each laser transaction.

http://www.aib.ie/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=ROIPersonalPortal/AIBContent_C/pp_guide&c=AIBContent_C&cid=1141322064719&channel=P004

To enjoy a way to bank free of maintenance and transaction fees, each fee quarter you need to:

Use your AIB Debit Card to make a purchase, and

Make a debit transaction using AIB Phone & Internet Banking e.g. pay a bill or top up your mobile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

nonamemark wrote: »
    Most shops have at least a €10 or €15 minimum buy to use a card. Plus what you said makes no sence. They do have the cash, it's in the bank, it's a Lazer not a Credit Card. Let's say there is no ATM close or it's broken. Have some patience FFS

Patience my arse. Most people paying with them seem to take at least 2 mins longer. Sometimes I nearly feel like paying for them just to get them out of the way. Dunno about most places but my local Dunnes and Spar certainly dont seem to have any type of lower limit (as said its nearly always someone just buying 3 or 4 cans)

And as for having the money in the bank, isnt the point of a laser card that you can spend money you dont actually have? i.e. someones bank acc hits zero by Tuesday, between then and Thursday midnight they use the card to buy 50 euro worth of stuff. Midnight comes and their 900 wages gets paid in, minus 50 and minus commission. No?

re this 20 cent charge, Im still listed as a student account afaik, do I keep my no fees yoke?
    i'm on hold with them now, and its Franks sinatra

Hmm, an improvement I guess :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Will the old AIB cards stop working at some point? I've still been using mine up to as recently as yesterday and I don't particularly want to start using the other one as I don't want the option to be able to buy goods with it. I have a natural dislike of things that make it easier for people to part with their money.
    On another note, didn't the recent budget half the fees on such cards? Have the banks adjusted the fee accordingly?

edit: I'm cashsave too from back in the day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,403 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

If memory serves, the letter/pack I received said the old one experiences in February 08.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,284 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

And as for having the money in the bank, isnt the point of a laser card that you can spend money you dont actually have?

No. You can't spend money you don't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Does anybody else think it was kind of rude of AIB to just automatically give you a laser card without asking. You are going to pay double the government stamp duty as a result. Last year from €10 to €20. (I think that's down to €10 after the budget, i.e. from €5 to €10).

fletch wrote: »
    Does anybody else think it was kind of rude of AIB to just automatically give you a laser card without asking. You are going to pay double the government stamp duty as a result.

was that not abolished in the recent budget?

Dodge wrote: »
    was that not abolished in the recent budget?
    Nope just reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

If you don't use the debit card function, you get charged the standard ATM card fee.

fletch wrote: »
    Nope just reduced.

Sorry, I meant the "extra" charge. So in effect if you had an atm crd last year you were charged €20 and now you'll be charged €20 for atm/laser

• Registered Users Posts: 9,304 ✭✭✭markpb

Like BuffyBot said, if you never use it as Debit card, you don't get charged the debit card fee.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    If you don't use the debit card function, you get charged the standard ATM card fee.
    Oh I didn't know that. Kool :) Although I use my laser card a lot now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

The plastic gov tax has been reduced from 20 to 10 euro for ATM/debit cards and 40 to 30 euro for credit cards - so you will pay the same - 10 euro.

The gov wants to discourage the use of cheques in favour of electronic menas of payment (and have increased duty on cheques)

AFAIK AIB terminated cashsave accounts a few years ago and replaced them with the Personal Bank account.
    Its current account became the Personal Bank account Plus but this may have changed again since.

Advertisement