Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Battery, Replace? or Charge?

Options
  • 18-12-2007 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Just looking for a bit of advice.
    I have an 02 Laguna and I think the battery has lost its charge. Im not doing much mileage at the moment so I will guess that its not getting a full charge from the engine. Should I buy a new one? ( If so how much would I expect to pay? ) or would it be easier to get it charged. (My Dad has a battery charger that I could use, its an older model).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Lots of motor factors have battery testers now.

As long as you are not likely to be left stranded and you have jump leads in your boot, I'd chance charging it first.

My mother only uses her car to get in and out from the shops a couple of miles away and it developed battery problems. I thought then and there it meant a new battery but an electrician friend charged it on his charger and I htink 6 months later there still wasn't a blip out of it (got traded in).

I bought a battery recently for €100 but I'd imagine you'd get one cheaper for your car as mine's a 2.8.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mildews

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Halfords do battery`s for around 65e, they do a higher capacity range for around 80 if I remember correctly.

Do you know if they charge a recycle fee on top of that also for your old battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

A lot of re-cycling centres take them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I have an Optimate III battery charger/conditioner that can literally do miracles with batteries. Worth exhausting that possibility first if you know someone who has something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

as i said in another thread recently, halfords wanted a 100 for an astra battery got it for 60 off the local motor factors, try them 1st

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mildews

Thanks for all the advice, will try my Dads charger and see if it works. If not I will definitely try my local motor factors.
    By the way do you have to disconnect the battery from the car while it is on charge? as I read this on another forum.

Advertisement